SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Henry AR7
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Henry AR7 Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone have any experience or knowledge of the reliability of the Henry AR7 survival 22 caliber LR rifle? Ever since I saw the James Bond film as a child, "From Russia with Love" I wanted one. It seems inexpensive enough and is certainly lightweight at 3.5 pounds.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I had one of the originals, made by Armalite. It was neither durable nor reliable. A jam-o-matic with a soft aluminum receiver.

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an AR7 built by Charter Arms. I believe that Charter Arms sold out this rifle to Henry. There have been at least 3 different owners of the rifles....perhaps four different owners over the years. They have been around a long time, and were originally designed for the USAF for pilot survival(if memory serves.).

I have not shot mine in some time now, but it has always worked just fine for me. I think that I polished the feed ramp, and the chamber.....I do that to most all of my guns.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one. I was very surprise on the accuracy,I was thinking it was not going to be. It shoots everything I put in it, even Remington golden bullets which I hate. It loves CCI green and st. velocity.

I will say the stock is the only thing I dislike. Its to fat and not very comforting, but I knew that before I bought. Thats what you get for storing everything in the stock.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two; one of the current generation and one from just prior to that. Both work well with the higher-energy ammo. (The older one loves Thunderbolts.) Both are reasonably accurate.

The newest version is more reliable, can hold two extra magazines in the stock (for a total of three, versus the one extra plus one in the action of prior versions) and has some other improvements. However, I have heard it will no longer float if stored in the stock. (No, I haven't tried that myself.)

The buttplate on the older one is much harder to remove than the one on the newer gun, but that could be individual variation, rather than a difference between the models.

Posts: 327 | Location: Frankfort, Kentucky.  | Registered: November 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Mine is also a Charter Arms, only shot a few times and not for a long time, but if I remember correctly no complaints.

Posts: 1954 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Henry made just before the current generation. It's reliable as long as you make sure the barrel nut stays tight. Lots of fun to shoot. I doubt it would float...while the stock cover is difficult to remove, it doesn't seem like it has a good seal at all.

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one of the original Charter Arms and it was not very reliable nor accurate.
I also have one of the new Henry AR-7's and I am very impressed with the reliability and accuracy. It's a far cry better than the original. I've never had a stoppage with high velocity ammo, and it has proven to be quite accurate for what it is with 50 yard groups running around 1.5 inches. I'm very pleased with it........

Character is doing the right thing even when no one else will know...

Posts: 50 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: June 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted to play around with one, but I've been thinking that a take-down 10-22 might be a better option.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post