SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    V Crown ammo question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

V Crown ammo question Login/Join 
posted
I recently picked up an older Sig P229 in 40 S&W. I plan to use Sig V Crown ammo for home defense. When I slingshot to load the first round, I feel a slight hesitation when the bullet hits the ramp. I don't feel it when I load with the slide release. I've never had this issue with my Sig nines using the same type of hollow point ammo. Is this normal?

Posts: 273 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have limited experience with that round in .40 in my P-320, perhaps 60-80 rounds. Never a problem, but I use the slide release almost always when shooting. The 180 gr. round appears to be a very good performer from the table linked on this thread a few pages back.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5840009154

I'm planning to make a run today or tomorrow to pick up a few more boxes of it to further prove it. Best advice I can offer is to shoot it some more; is your 229 pretty tight?

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by les45:
I recently picked up an older Sig P229 in 40 S&W. I plan to use Sig V Crown ammo for home defense. When I slingshot to load the first round, I feel a slight hesitation when the bullet hits the ramp. I don't feel it when I load with the slide release. I've never had this issue with my Sig nines using the same type of hollow point ammo. Is this normal?

You shouldn't be feeling anything when you slingshot the slide, because your hand should be off of it before it starts traveling forward. Is it possible you're riding the slide forward a bit rather than releasing it and letting it travel forward under it's own spring power? If you're not releasing the slide completely at it's most rearward position in the stroke, you're robbing some of it's forward momentum and that could cause some hangups as the round feeds.

FWIW, I shoot a lot of VCrown and have had no issues with it in any of my P320s, Glocks, EMP, or my P229.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
You shouldn't be feeling anything when you slingshot the slide, because your hand should be off of it before it starts traveling forward. Is it possible you're riding the slide forward a bit rather than releasing it and letting it travel forward under it's own spring power? If you're not releasing the slide completely at it's most rearward position in the stroke, you're robbing some of it's forward momentum and that could cause some hangups as the round feeds.

FWIW, I shoot a lot of VCrown and have had no issues with it in any of my P320s, Glocks, EMP, or my P229.

I'm feeling it in my gun hand. When I load by slingshot, I don't move the slide hand; I hold the slide with my left hand and push the gun forward with my right or gun hand until it pulls the slide out of my left hand and thus releasing it. I agree that it may be that that method does lose a little momentum compared to the slide release and the full power of the spring.

Posts: 273 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Molehill, meet mountain. Razz How the gun hand chambers a round has no relevance to how it shoots. You can't operate the slide with your hands with the same speed and force that firing a cartridge does.

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post