SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Reliable SAO carry gun for $1K or less?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reliable SAO carry gun for $1K or less? Login/Join 
Picture of mrtuna
posted
It needs to be 30 ounces or less. Does such a gun exist? I have some striker fired for weight saving but don't enjoy them. I'm getting too old to shoot guns I don't like. DA/SA and 1911s are going up in price while the plastic fantastic guns are getting cheaper. I can manage $1K without breaking my budget but maybe it's time to get a $3000 1911 and make payments on something decent. Quality over quantity in my book.

Training as often as possible!
NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reliable SAO carry gun for $1K or less?

P226 Legion SAO? Or, is it not reliable?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The Colt Lightweight Commander is just under 30 oz.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander, around $700 on Grabagun. Well built for a production 1911, okay to good triggers (as measured against other 1911s). Only real downside has been the durability of the SR1911 factory front sight. But for $300 left in your budget I'm thinking that you can probably find a solid replacement. Wink

Or you can spend another $300 to $400 above your budget for a Dan Wesson Guardian, unloaded roughly an ounce lighter than the Ruger at 28.5 oz. And you can have it in 9mm or 45mm. Exceptional near-custom build quality at a fairly reasonable price.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you do opt to break your budget, look into the Wilson Combat EDC X9.

There's a wait so you'll have time to save, MSRP $2895

Posts: 258 | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Second vote for the Ruger. Mine is excellent. Front sight still attached, too!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
The Sig Ultra Carry Compact 1911 would be my choice for size weight and price. I've seen them going for about 850 with night sights

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Springfield EMP or EMP4, if you want the longer barrel. Love my EMP4, although I don't CC it.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the EMP4.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Are you caliber specific? That would narrow the field a bit.

.45 ACP: Dan Wesson CCO. One sold here on the forum for $975 not long ago. Mine is 100% gtg. And no, you do not need to spend $3000 to get a reliable 1911.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Sure > Ruger LW Commander meets the criteria

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My choice is the SIG P238 .380. Fits all of your stated requirements. Reliable, soft recoil, easy-to-rack slide, easy to conceal.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Ruger LW Commander or perhaps a Springfield Range Officer Compact model would seem to meet your specs.

Thanks to our own Classifieds section, I found a like-new Dan Wesson CCO that was just under the $1000 mark. I was pleased to find a nice DW at that price.

Edited to add: the one Cobra21 mentions above was the one I bought; saw his post after I'd entered my own. Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Light weight SAO - P938 or P238 (~ 17oz) ~$600-700
P226 SAO - great choice, but maybe a bit heavy at ~32 oz. ~$900-1100.

If you go 1911 you'll likely go over your weight/budget, but there's plenty of really nice choices.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
Sig 220 Carry or compact SAO? CZ P07 with safety, not decocker? Carry it cocked and locked. DA if you want it. CZ Rami safety, not decocker? I have cajun gun works CZs that have excellent SA triggers.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I always wished HK made a 45c in SAO.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
Dan Wessson is usually the minimum quality I will go for a 1911. I have been burned too many times by jamomatics. Converting a CZ 75 Compact to SAO might be fun. The SA EMPs worry me too since many parts are not 1911 parts and the fit isn't anything like a Dan Wesson. I don't know why 100% functioning DA/SA guns are only $800-$100 where SAO is $1500 minimum for most. I like the P226 Legion SAO a lot but it's no carry gun. Maybe I will look for a good deal on a Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm.

NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
P220, P220 Carry or P220 Compact SAO.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
P220, P220 Carry or P220 Compact SAO.

The P220 Carry SAO is becoming hard to find but it's on my list!

NSSF Media Member

posted Hide Post
Hell, i bought my used p226 elite sao of 760 out the door.

Fine weapon.

Browning hi power

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post