SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    parallax with TLR-6 on p365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

parallax with TLR-6 on p365 Login/Join 
posted
I tried out my P365 for the first time today.

My question with the TLR-6 laser I was consistently shooting high with the laser, I was on target with the built in sights.

The TLR-6 is located below the light, unlike the crimson trace I am used to that is up directly under the barrel.

With a little more practice I am going to like this gun.

I never noticed parallax with the crimson trace.

Can I adjust the parallax out or should I just compensate my sight picture to aim lower with the laser?

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I associate “parallax” with the visual offset between two objects, such as a scopesight reticle and the target, and how one can appear to shift position when viewed from different locations, not something to do with laser sighting.

Assuming, however, if your laser beam and bullet impact don’t coincide on the target at your chosen distance, and that’s how you’re defining “parallax,” then I would adjust the laser. It is difficult enough to use a laser for rapid target engagement if we are “chasing the dot” without having to aim at a spot you don’t want to hit.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd agree with sigfreund that parallax is something I associate with magnified optics and not lasers.

It sounds like your laser just needs to be zeroed. I used to do it all the time for customers when I ran a range/gun shop. I'm not familiar with that specific model, but I've done a lot of Crimson Trace models over the years for customers. Only takes a minute or two with the little allen wrenches they included.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What would you guys recommend the distance I zero a p365 at?

With this set up, I think it is going to zero at a very specific distance.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t have much experience with laser designators on handguns, so I won’t attempt to recommend a specific distance. Hopefully some of the users will chime in. What I would do myself, though, is pick a distance like 15 yards and then experiment with shooting at other distances. If you find that you don’t like the points of impact at other distances, then consider changing your zero.

If, however, I were going to put a laser on a gun like the P365, it would be for relatively close range defensive use. Just as I wouldn’t be concerned about a few inches point of impact difference at different ranges with conventional iron sights, I wouldn’t worry about that with a laser. In my experience with seeing shooters engaging large targets at speed with lasers and how the dots usually dance around in the process, it seems to me that a bit of point of aim/point of impact variance is the least of their concerns.

FWIW, it is impossible to precisely zero a firearm sight at more than one or two specific distances because of the offset between sight and bore and the projectile’s curved trajectory. Only when weapons with destructive light beams that are absolutely in line with the sights are developed (however that might be accomplished) will it be possible to have zeroes at all distances.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
What would you guys recommend the distance I zero a p365 at?

With this set up, I think it is going to zero at a very specific distance.

I'd do most at 10 to 15 yards. For a handgun like this the difference in PoA/PoI should be negligible at any practical distance. But play around with it. One thing I forgot to mention. When looking at it now aiming at a wall or something 10-15 yards away is the laser centered right on or in front of the front sight post with the rear lined up? The reason I suspect your's just need to be adjusted is that very rarely would the beam line up with the sights when first put on. I don't use lasers myself, just saw this with a lot of customers. They always needed adjustment to the gun after being mounted.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Offset

"Start by lining your laser sight up with your fixed sights at a desired distance. Most people sight in
their laser at between 20 and 50 ft. However because of the offset between the laser sight
and the bore, the actual change in point-of-impact at these distances is very small.
Further adjustments can be made at the range to determine where your bullet impacts in relation to
your firearms fixed sights. The laser should be moved to the actual impact point of the bullet (Fig. 2)"

From the Crimsontrace laser sight manual

https://www.crimsontrace.com/e...oads/file/get/id/80/

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The closer you zero, the more issue you will have at range.

I'd say 15 yards is likely a good zero.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
But if you zero at say, 25 yards, then you won't be able to see the dot at a closer distance like maybe 7 yards because the barrel will obscure the dot. Those distances may not be a perfect example but you get the point.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
But if you zero at say, 25 yards, then you won't be able to see the dot at a closer distance like maybe 7 yards because the barrel will obscure the dot.
What?

The barrel wont obscure the laser (on a pistol) at any distance outside of contact range.

Especially if you have both eyes open.

Obviously if you have a photo of this phenomenon, I'd love to see it.

Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
But if you zero at say, 25 yards, then you won't be able to see the dot at a closer distance like maybe 7 yards because the barrel will obscure the dot.
What?

The barrel wont obscure the laser (on a pistol) at any distance outside of contact range.

No need for a photo, it's just common sense. I think the number is more like 15 yards versus 7 yards. Try it and see. It might even be 10 yards versus 7 yards. I don't remember for sure as far as the distances go.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ogie,

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
What?

No need for a photo, it's just common sense. I think the number is more like 15 yards versus 7 yards. Try it and see. It might even be 10 yards versus 7 yards. I don't remember for sure as far as the distances go.

I'll play.
I have the laser dot on my P10C adjusted for 25 yards.
I can clearly see the dot while holding pistol a couple of inches from the wall.
At about three feet it does become obscured by the front sight if I attempt to align it with the sights using only one eye but is still visible.
You do keep both your eyes open when using the laser, don't you?

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
quote:
quote:
quote:
What?

I'll play.
I have the laser dot on my P10C adjusted for 25 yards.
I can clearly see the dot while holding pistol a couple of inches from the wall.
At about three feet it does become obscured by the front sight if I attempt to align it with the sights using only one eye but is still visible.

As I am thinking about it, it seems that I originally sighted the laser on my Glock 19 at 10 yards, which is the distance I shoot at my outdoor range. When I took my pistol to the indoor range, where I shoot at about 6 to 7 yards, the laser was obscured by the front sight and barrel. And you did admit that in your "test" at 3 feet that the same happened to you. Try zeroing at 10 yards and then go to 6 or 7 yards and see what you get. Once again it's not complicated to see that the dot could be obscured under certain situations. This video shows the same under different distances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-25_wbR8LY

posted Hide Post
quote:
When I took my pistol to the indoor range, where I shoot at about 6 to 7 yards, the laser was obscured by the front sight and barrel.

Open your other eye. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
When I took my pistol to the indoor range, where I shoot at about 6 to 7 yards, the laser was obscured by the front sight and barrel.

Open your other eye. Wink

I second this recommendation Smile

Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:

At about three feet it does become obscured by the front sight if I attempt to align it with the sights using only one eye but is still visible

As I am thinking about it, it seems that I originally sighted the laser on my Glock 19 at 10 yards, which is the distance I shoot at my outdoor range. When I took my pistol to the indoor range, where I shoot at about 6 to 7 yards, the laser was obscured by the front sight and barrel. And you did admit that in your "test" at 3 feet that the same happened to you. Try zeroing at 10 yards and then go to 6 or 7 yards and see what you get. Once again it's not complicated to see that the dot could be obscured under certain situations. This video shows the same under different distances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-25_wbR8LY

I highlighted the 'one eye' part in case you missed it.
By still visible, even when using only one eye the light splatter at that close of a distance creates a visible circular aura that can be seen around the front sight.

When using a laser sight or a red dot sight, keep both eyes open.
I change practice between shooting with the sights (no laser) the laser aligned with the sights or simply using just laser dot on the target.
Since the setup as pictured (above post) is set at 25 yards, at 3 feet the POI will be a tad high relative to where the laser dot is aimed.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post