SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 320 RXP X Full Size Accuracy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 320 RXP X Full Size Accuracy Login/Join 
posted
I understand that accuracy is shooter dependent. What is the bench rest accuracy of a 320 RXP X Full Size at 25 and 50 yards? Primary use will be as a range gun. Thanks, Tom

Posts: 32 | Registered: May 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I don't have an answer for you but, bench rested at 50 yards? I can't imagine many are doing that with a 'combat pistol', but I've been wrong before. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8884 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.TJ:
I understand that accuracy is shooter dependent. What is the bench rest accuracy of a 320 RXP X Full Size at 25 and 50 yards? Primary use will be as a range gun. Thanks, Tom

That is a difficult question to answer, some 320's are tighter built than others.

My personal RX full sized is not that precise at 40 yards when benched as the slide is fairly loose on the FCU and it is basically a combat handgun. But it is about my 2nd best accurate handgun shooting offhand and I have some very accurate handguns.

Now some of that offhand accuracy is due to that particular RX fitting my hand properly and the trigger pull being properly aligned with my finger. (it just fits me)

The only upgrades to my 320 RX are an aftermarket barrel (to get a threaded barrel) and a trigger job that I did right after buying it.

Posts: 67 | Registered: August 13, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't answer regarding the optic, as I'm running iron sights on my P320's. The P320 isn't really a tack driver, but it's accurate enough.

From the bench with my P320F's, I'm normally either shooting through a chronograph or paper at 10-20 yards. This is mainly because if I'm trying to see how a load groups, I don't really see the front that well at longer distances, especially with prescription shooting glasses on.

That said, The pistols will shoot under 1" with the right load. With iron sights, it's harder for me to be really precise with a large front dot; the Dawson fiber optics present a small dot, and make it easier to be more specific on where the sight goes on the target (so long as the target isn't too far away). Longer distances, I'm looking at minute-of-pie-plate or minute-of-man. A zone? I'm looking at the shape. Aim for the middle...

With so many of these red dots having large MOA dots, I'd think that might be your limiting factor.

The load makes a lot of difference, I think. I'm shooting hand loads, and largely coated bullets as opposed to jacketed (for cost), but 124 seems to be the most accurate for me, and I get good groups with 147 grain blue bullets over 3.2 or 3.3 grains of titegroup. I've also found that in my P320's, either a long overall cartridge length works best (1.155), or 1.125 seems to do the same. Above or below those numbers, and the groups open up. I'm not sure why, but thats been consistent when benching on paper.

Best groups are 3/4" and worst are about 3". Again, that's irons and not optics, but I would think the accuracy wouldn't change regardless of what one uses to aim.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your experience with your 320s, your comments answered my question. Thanks, Tom

Posts: 32 | Registered: May 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Combat doesn’t occur at 50 yards? I taught a Advanced Pistol Marksmanship class this weekend. Class was entirely made up of P320s and one Gen4 Glock 17. We took runs at 25, 50, 100 and even 200 yards.

Average groups at 25 were in the 4-5 inch range and twice that at 50. All off hand. All guns were either equipped with a Romeo 1, Romeo 1 Pro, or an RMR except one X5 with irons.

People scoff about distance not being a defensive skill. It isn’t until it is. Aside from that, distance is a fine test of fundamentals.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
An accurate P320 will keep all shots within the size os a Coffee cup at 25 yards. At 50 the size of a dinner plate. This is offhand with open sights and ammo it likes. You can cut that in half with a good optic and a rest.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What SigWally said. I currently own 2 P320s. A manual safety compact .45 and an X Compact. I dont do a lot of longer distance stuff but I always do a test at 25 yards, as it gives me a good idea of how accurate a given pistol is.
From a bench rested position, both the above pistols will consistently group all their shots into about 4 inches at 25 yards, using the OEM iron sights. I would guess I could shrink that with a good red dot or improved target sights.
More than acceptable accuracy for a carry pistol.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post