SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Rhodesian style holsters-Any members used that style of holster?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rhodesian style holsters-Any members used that style of holster? Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
I have gotten interested in the Rhodesian style of holster, crafted by Thad Rybka, and cloned by several holster makers recently.

I realize the Rhodesian is a comfortable, non retention type of carry, (OWB medium ride) but just what degree of conceaability can I expect?

Am wanting to try that holster on a Ruger SP 101 I am purchasing.

Any input appreciated

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Rhodesian holster for a commander . If your looking for a atv, range,woods holster it's great, as far as a concealment holster goes well there are allot of better options.
First this style of holster does not ride tight too the body. Second it sits lower on the belt and does not conceal well without a oversized cover garment. Third retention is not as snug as a pancake or askins style holster.

Posts: 636 | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TJ 4X4:
I have a Rhodesian holster for a commander . If your looking for a atv, range,woods holster it's great, as far as a concealment holster goes well there are allot of better options.
First this style of holster does not ride tight too the body. Second it sits lower on the belt and does not conceal well without a oversized cover garment. Third retention is not as snug as a pancake or askins style holster.

Thank you very much for posting your experience.

I have recently gone from 30+ years of IWB carry to OWB, and trying/asking about OWB designs.

Your description of that style of holster was very clear and helpful.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
White Tiger Leather makes a model called the game warden which is very similar to the older Rhodesian style.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
I have recently gone from 30+ years of IWB carry to OWB, and trying/asking about OWB designs.

For me, at least, the best OWB design, be it leather or kydex, is a straight drop (no cant), with belt loops outside of the holster body (forward and rearward). This spreads the holster "hold" out and makes for a sturdier platform to draw from. Bladetech's classic OWB holster with a belt loop attachment (vs TechLok) fits this description, but there are many other makers who do the same in both kydex or leather. A favorite of mine is Garrett Industries Silent Thunder line of leather lined kydex holsters.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake for your SP101.

https://www.simplyrugged.com/e...em_id=152&parent=669

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been wanting a Rhodesian as well and been reading upon them. There are some great pictures here https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=892458

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post