SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pistol for 70 y/o with shoulder and wrist problems
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol for 70 y/o with shoulder and wrist problems Login/Join 
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
About the softest shooting thing I ever shot was my P226 9mm with winchester ranger T 147s, RA9T. Or a ported G17 would work with subsonic ammo. The fullsize HK USP 9mm was also a soft shooting pistol for me.

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gary1911A1
posted Hide Post
I too have arthritis and know how hard it is to cycle a slide and how painful shooting a few magazines of .45ACP can be. I now shoot a Springfield 1911 in 9MM with a 12lb recoil spring. i find I can shoot this combination hundreds of rounds without discomfort or pain.

Posts: 527 | Location: Southern Ohio for now. | Registered: December 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gary Which of the several Springfield 9mm 1911 pistols do you shoot without discomfort? Springfield makes several lighter weight 9mm pistols in 1911 form:
In the full size form (Range Officer):
Compact PI9125L
Champion PI9137L
Elite Champion PI9137E
. . .and in a resized/smaller 1911 to fit the 9mm cartridge:
EMP4 Lightweight Champion PI9211L
and a second version of EMP4 with bobed grip.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gary1911A1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 527 | Location: Southern Ohio for now. | Registered: December 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
.32 is the way to go. .32 shorts are like a 22 and .32 H&R magnums are like a 9mm+p

Ammo is available via internet in the quantities needed.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in the Ruger SP 101 327 Federal Magnum camp. He can practice at the range with 32 auto (shoots like a BB gun) and finish with a cylinder of 327 Magnums. Keep the magnums in the gun for self defense.

Posts: 1253 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gary. That is Springfield's PI9125L. It is their lightest and most small. I will keep it in mind for those who wish a lighter 9mm 1911. Does the accuracy seem ok? Trigger?

Like to hear from someone with experience using Springfield's PI9211L, which is their EMP 4 "Lightweight Champion." The EMP 4 has reduced size through the grip to move from 45ACP to 9mm.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gary1911A1
posted Hide Post
Hello P320Mac, the Springfield is a production 1911 so it may need some work. Mine was reliable, but did not shoot POA so I had to send it back and got more work done while it was there. It's fine now. For the money I think my recent Valkyrie in 9MM is a better pistol. A little larger, but not that much.

posted Hide Post
Gary: While the M&P 380 EZ is ideal for those strengh-limited, I did find Valkyrie (part number 01965) that is Commander slide and Officer grip for use by strength-limited competitor to use in Bullseye (never need more than 5 rounds in mag.) CDNN has low cost magazines. However, the so-called night sights on Valkyrie are long way off. Looking for someone to mill the back of the slide so that can place red-dot sight at the right height.
Other than the silly sights, excellent pistol with the right weight, grip, pointing, and trigger. Far better that Colt LW Commander and the Ruger 6722 - that are a bit loose on fit.

Mac in Michigan