SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pistol for 70 y/o with shoulder and wrist problems
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol for 70 y/o with shoulder and wrist problems Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
Looking for defensive hand gun ideas for 70 year old male with both wrist and shoulder problems. (EDIT: To clarify, I am middle aged male and I am helping out a 70 y/o with shoulder and wrist problems.) Any suggestions?

They've shot my:
  • S&W 617 and love it. Not much of a self-defense gun being .22 LR.
  • Kahr MK9 and the recoil bugs their wrist and shoulder. To be fair, I'd rather shoot 300 rounds out of my P229 ST in .40 S&W than 100 rounds out of my MK9.
  • P229 ST when I put my Barsto 9 mm conversion barrel in it and they didn't like it. The weight bugged their shoulder and really didn't like the size in their hand. It's really hard to get any sweeter than this gun as it has the GGI competition action and trigger job and Bruce Gray personally fit the Barsto barrel while I watched.

I don't own any calibers in between .22 LR and 9mm. (EDIT: I own many pistols larger than 9mm, but didn't list as they are inappropriate for a 70 y/o with shoulder and wrist problems.)

Since they loved my revolver, I was thinking a 3" SP 101 in .327 Federal would be good, but good luck finding a range with one of those as a rental. (EDIT: As I'm just helping someone out, I am not purchasing a new gun for them to try. The focus now is on guns available to rent at ranges.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fighting the good fight
    Picture of RogueJSK
    posted Hide Post
    Subcompacts and all-steel pistols are poor choices. Subcompacts have more felt recoil, are harder to shoot well, are more prone to shooter-induced malfunctions from stuff like limp-wristing, and have slides that are tougher to rack. All-steel guns are heavy, and are tough for someone with limited strength or physical limitations to hold at arms length for extended periods.

Instead, I'd recommend a mid-sized, polymer-framed pistol in a light-recoiling caliber. I'd probably start with letting them try something like a Glock 19 or SP2022 9mm.

And if even those turn out to be too much recoil, look at something like a P250 Compact .380 or the new M&P EZ .380. These polymer, mid-sized, tilting barrel .380s are designed to be ideal "old man/old lady/new shooter" guns: Light weight. Light recoil. Light recoil spring for easier slide racking. Decent capacity. Easy to shoot. The new M&P EZ takes it even a few steps further with some other convenient features, like easy-load magazines.

I just wouldn't limit them to .380 unless it was absolutely necessary. See if they can handle a 9mm first.

If they're dead-set on a revolver, then an aluminum-framed .38 Special, like a 3" Ruger LCRx, 4" S&W Model 12, or 2.5" S&W 315 or 386 Night Guard, would seem to fit the bill.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I'm thinking the CZ P-07 Duty 9mm would be a potential contender.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    Get something you like ported, Todd. I sent a Ruger SP-101 to Gemini Customs. I can’t get over how sweet it shoots—even loaded with .357 in this short-barreled revolver.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TMats:
    Get something you like ported, Todd. I sent a Ruger SP-101 to Gemini Customs. I can’t get over how sweet it shoots—even loaded with .357 in this short-barreled revolver.
    Thanks, but I'm middle aged and just trying to help someone out. Also, I'm saving my spare cash for a gun wildly inappropriate for a 70 y/o with wrist and shoulder problems (P220 Legion in 10mm).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Ice Cream Man
    posted Hide Post
    FN 5.7. Negligible recoil, lightweight, easy to work slide, and effective w. the right ammo

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    The S&W 380EZ looks like a possible winner for those with injured/weak upper body strength, ( no offense on the being weak part,I hope to make it their one day myself). It seems like a good platform,provided it works as stated.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Take the risk or
    lose the chance
    posted Hide Post
    Yep, I heartily agree with the .327 Federal suggestion. That same firearm worked for my mom & dad...they are in their late 70's and both are recoil-sensitive. We actually go to the range quarterly and they look forward to the trips.

----------------------------------------
    “The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    A Ruger Security Six or S+W K frame with .38 specials in it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of SigSentry
    posted Hide Post
    S&W model 10

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Delta-3
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    S&W model 10

Exactly! You won't find a more perfect weapon for the needs you stated.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    For those who've shot both, how does .327 Federal compare with .38 Special? My thought was maybe you could find a range with a SP101 in .357 Magnum and try it with .38 Special target wadcutters. Maybe that combo would work for him, or maybe it might give you an idea if .327 Federal would work.

A 617 is a K-frame, so something like a similarly-sized 64 in .38 Special, loaded with 148gr target wadcutters, may be do-able. Might be worth giving it a try. It might be easier to find a rental range with a K-frame .38.

On the semi-auto side, I'd be most concerned about his ability to operate the slide. If that's not an issue, maybe a bigger Kahr, like a P9 or K9? Loaded with some standard pressure 9mm ammo that might be do-able. If racking a slide is an issue, then a tip-up barrel Beretta may work, even though they're only available in smaller calibers.

Finally, I wouldn't completely discount a .22. He liked the .22 revolver, so if it's something that he enjoys shooting it's also something he'll practice with. While .22 wouldn't be my first choice, it might be worth considering if your other options don't work out.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of grumpy1
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by patw:
    The S&W 380EZ looks like a possible winner for those with injured/weak upper body strength, ( no offense on the being weak part,I hope to make it their one day myself). It seems like a good platform,provided it works as stated.

Yep. I tried one of these at LGS factory shoot over the weekend. Very soft shooter and ridiculously easy to rack slide and load magazine nice trigger too. Smith and Wesson specifically designed it for the physically challenged shooter.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Avoiding
    slam fires
    Picture of 45 Cal
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Aglifter:
    FN 5.7. Negligible recoil, lightweight, easy to work slide, and effective w. the right ammo

I am 75 years old and I carry one,no recoil and lite for all time carry.
    expect to pay north of a grand and be prepared for the pucker factor when you feed it.
    Ambidextrous is a great plus also

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Saluki
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by elde:
    Yep, I heartily agree with the .327 Federal suggestion. That same firearm worked for my mom & dad...they are in their late 70's and both are recoil-sensitive. We actually go to the range quarterly and they look forward to the trips.

+1 I have the 4.2 “ and believe the 3” would be even better, balancing a bit nicer, though I’ve not handled one.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Saluki
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by henryarnaud:
    For those who've shot both, how does .327 Federal compare with .38 Special? My thought was maybe you could find a range with a SP101 in .357 Magnum and try it with .38 Special target wadcutters. Maybe that combo would work for him, or maybe it might give you an idea if .327 Federal would work.

A 617 is a K-frame, so something like a similarly-sized 64 in .38 Special, loaded with 148gr target wadcutters, may be do-able. Might be worth giving it a try. It might be easier to find a rental range with a K-frame .38.

On the semi-auto side, I'd be most concerned about his ability to operate the slide. If that's not an issue, maybe a bigger Kahr, like a P9 or K9? Loaded with some standard pressure 9mm ammo that might be do-able. If racking a slide is an issue, then a tip-up barrel Beretta may work, even though they're only available in smaller calibers.

Finally, I wouldn't completely discount a .22. He liked the .22 revolver, so if it's something that he enjoys shooting it's also something he'll practice with. While .22 wouldn't be my first choice, it might be worth considering if your other options don't work out.

I think recoil might be about the same. I’ve not shot both side by side. Don’t overlook the ability to run 32 S&W or 32 H&R. You can get a 100g pill to run at 750, 950, or 1400 fps no need to hand load either for that versatility.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Something with a easy to use trigger and light recoil but in a respectable round how about a ruger lcr in 38 special or if you want to be radical a Chiappa rhino in 38 special

Posts: 149 | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by lewk:
    Something with a easy to use trigger and light recoil but in a respectable round how about a ruger lcr in 38 special
    My wife carries a Ruger LCR, the .357 Magnum version, loaded with .38 SPL. The reason for this choice is that the .357 Magnum version is about 1/4 pound heavier than the .38 SPL version of this revolver, so it's not quite as "snappy" to shoot with the same .38 ammunition.

I also replaced the front sight on this, with a nice bright fiber-optic sight. Much easier for her to see the sight with her progressive lenses.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Baroque Bloke
    Picture of Pipe Smoker
    posted Hide Post
    With modern ammo, .380 is s decent SD caliber. A SIG P238 is light in weight, soft recoil, and has an easy to rack slide. Also easy to load mags, especially with a Baby UpLULA.

Or maybe you can find a used SIG P250 Compact In .380.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Prefontaine
    posted Hide Post
    PX4 full size. With the rotating barrel and longer slide (compared to the compact or subcompact) it recoils very mild.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post