SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    *Plot Twist (Again)... Dan Wesson Valor Commander*
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

*Plot Twist (Again)... Dan Wesson Valor Commander* Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
*Updated again. See 12/6 post.*

I've been wanting a Bobtail Commander in .45 ACP, and I've narrowed it down to either the C-BOB or V-BOB from Dan Wesson.

Both can be found new for around the same money (with the V-BOB being ~$75 more in stainless and a couple hundred more in black).

Feature-wise, they seem nearly identical on paper, with the exception of different rear sights, different grips, and a checkered backstrap on the V-BOB. (I know the C-BOB is an older model that has mainly been kept around due to being CA-compliant.)

But some folks online claim that the V-BOB is supposedly higher quality. Has anyone compared a recent production C-BOB and V-BOB side-by-side? Is the V-BOB noticeably nicer/better in any way?

Any other pros/cons to either of these models that I'm missing?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Same gun

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I've been wanting a Bobtail Commander in .45 ACP, and I've narrowed it down to either the C-BOB or V-BOB from Dan Wesson.

Both can be found new for around the same money (with the V-BOB being ~$75 more in stainless and a couple hundred more in black).

Feature-wise, they seem nearly identical on paper, with the exception of different rear sights, different grips, and a checkered backstrap on the V-BOB. (I know the C-BOB is an older model that has mainly been kept around due to being CA-compliant.)

But some folks online claim that the V-BOB is supposedly higher quality. Has anyone compared a recent production C-BOB and V-BOB side-by-side? Is the V-BOB noticeably nicer/better in any way?

Any other pros/cons to either of these models that I'm missing?

Its the same gun except for the bobtail.

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by venenoindy:
Its the same gun except for the bobtail.

I'm not sure what you're referring to.

The C-BOB and V-BOB both have identical bobtails.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VBOB.

I wanted the classic bobtail when it was still the unsung deal in handguns, but they were hard to get. Everybody wanted one. The VBOB today is pricier, but still an excellent pistol. The bob does make for a surprisingly comfortable grip.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I had a C-Bob about 10 years ago but sold it. I'd thought a lot about it over the past years. This year I bought a blackened V-bob. It sure seems to be the same gun as the C-bob and it is very accurate and smooth!

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Dan Wesson 1911's caught my eye a few years back when someone posted pics of theirs in 'The Gallery' in a 1911 pictures thread.

When I eventually purchase one it will likely be a V-BOB (or C-BOB) model as that is what is most asthetically pleasing to my eye.

That said, in my 'due-diligence' research on a popular 1911 forum, many were of the opinion that the staight (non-bobbed) back-strap offered a more positive 'grip' on the firearm, as more of one's palm is in better / more direct contact with the grip.

Ideally, it would be nice to shoot models of each at the same range session.

Good luck with your choice!

Rob

Posts: 3466 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Dan Wesson Guardian and several full gripped 1911's. I haven'tnoticed any real difference in the ease of gripping the bobtail vs. the full.

I marginally prefer a full, arched MSH for fast accurate shooting, but I run the bobtail just fine, with no repeatable difference on a shot timer.

Posts: 158 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I've carried a CBOB for the last ten years. My understanding is the VBOB is simply the latest iteration of the classic pistol. Couple of upgrades, but no real difference. I had a DW Valor which was once the cats meow. Sold it and kept the CBOB.

Either will likely scratch your itch.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing your experience regarding the grip configuration dogmush!

Posts: 3466 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogmush:
I haven't noticed any real difference in the ease of gripping the bobtail vs. the full.

I marginally prefer a full, arched MSH for fast accurate shooting, but I run the bobtail just fine, with no repeatable difference on a shot timer.

I'm the opposite. I do find the bobtail to be marginally more comfortable (and better looking, and slightly easier to conceal), although I haven't had a chance to compare shooting a standard vs. bobtail side by side on a timer.

And an arched MSH is the least comfortable for me. I definitely prefer flat.

That's one of the great things about the 1911... The grip is so customizable, to fit each personal preference. Smile

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Mmmmm...blackened VBOB. I lust after that creature!

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't speak to the VBOB, but the CBOB I bought ~8 or so years ago is the bomb, love that gun.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm the opposite. I do find the bobtail to be marginally more comfortable (and better looking, and slightly easier to conceal), although I haven't had a chance to compare shooting a standard vs. bobtail side by side on a timer.

And an arched MSH is the least comfortable for me. I definitely prefer flat.

That's one of the great things about the 1911... The grip is so customizable, to fit each personal preference. Smile

Totally agree and FWIW the bobbed frame doesn't print as easily when carried concealed.

Love my CBOB although to be honest my CCOs have taken over the CCW role. Smile

CCO-CBOB-RZ45 Heritage

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I had been on the hunt for a bobtail commander, but stumbled across an incredible deal on a different version and ended up getting that instead.

It's a 2018 production Dan Wesson A2 with the matte blue finish. 1 of 200 produced this year.

For a new A2, MSRP is $1,363.00 and street price is ~$1200. But I got this one that's a few months old, in pristine shape, with 100 rounds through it, for $650! Eek

Hand-fitted semi-custom 1911 for the price of an entry-level factory gun? Yes please!

Even though it's a 5", not a bobtail, and not stainless, I couldn't pass that amazing deal up. (It's destined to be a range gun and not a carry gun anyway, so the bigger size and pretty but less rugged finish aren't issues.)

It'll be getting outfitted with some fancier Fusion ranger pattern cocobolo grips, and a checkered Wilson Combat flat mainspring housing, then I plan to shoot the heck out of it. I'll get some actual photos posted once the upgrades are complete.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

posted Hide Post
Wow, incredible deal. I like the bobtail as well, but not that much!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
RogueJSK,

Man you STOLE that one! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fantastic deal on a fantastic pistol! I've got an A2 Commander that's been sitting unfired since last spring; I need to correct that situation.

I was actually looking for the Gov't version, which showed up on the dealer's shelf about two days after I walked out with mine.

The only thing I don't like about the A2s are the 3-dot sights, which are easily corrected. I think they're my favorite DW model.

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
The only thing I don't like about the A2s are the 3-dot sights, which are easily corrected.

Agreed. With the $500+ I saved, I think I can spring for some new sights. Big Grin

Since it's just a range toy, I'm going to keep the plain factory sights for a bit. In the future I might explore something like a Dawson or 10-8 fiber optic front sight, or perhaps something extra classy like a gold bead.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
The only thing I don't like about the A2s are the 3-dot sights, which are easily corrected.

Agreed. But with the $500+ I saved, I think I can spring for some new sights. Big Grin

Since it's just a range toy, I'm going to keep the plain factory sights for a bit. In the future I might explore something like a Dawson or 10-8 fiber optic front sight, or perhaps something extra classy like a gold bead.

I swapped my Valor and Vbob over to the 3 dot sights from the Straight 8's they shipped with.

At one time i had 7 danwesson 1911's I am down to just two now. The Vbob and Guardian 9.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post