SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What happened to the P227
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What happened to the P227 Login/Join 
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
I jumped on one the first avail. I placed a penny on the front sight and DA dryfired it on site. Told myself if the penny Didn't fall off I will buy....

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
same argument of plastic versus metal in just about every size gun. I'm just glad we have a choice.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mec-Gar doesn't seem to know how to put proper springs in their magazines anymore, so this doesn't surprise me at all. I consider Mec-Gar pretty much crap for springs if they're in the new boxes post 2012 or so. Modern Mec-Gar mags are mostly junk that I don't like to deal with.

Posts: 253 | Registered: January 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OpenRoad:
Mec-Gar doesn't seem to know how to put proper springs in their magazines anymore, so this doesn't surprise me at all. I consider Mec-Gar pretty much crap for springs if they're in the new boxes post 2012 or so. Modern Mec-Gar mags are mostly junk that I don't like to deal with.

The M11-A1 started in late 2012. Its 229-1 Mec-Gar mags are just fine ever since.
The P227 started in 2013. Its 10-rd Mec-Gar mags are just fine.
The P225-A1 started in 2015. Its 8-rd Mec-Gar mags are just fine.

And, all the new P228/229 Mec-Gar mags are also junk, I guess?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OpenRoad:

Mec-Gar is the only mag maker I've had zero problems with, across three platforms, a decade, and probably a hundred magazines.

Got any examples?

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always look around to see if a 12 rounder ever comes out. Anywho. I’ve got one of the protoype wooden Hogue grips, the ones that were checkered only half way. It’s a great gun, from my limited experience.

P227, p229c(40), Beretta 92fs, Mauser hsc, S&W 29, 629, 686+, Winchester 94, Mosin,...

Posts: 31 | Location: Vidalia and Savannah Georgia | Registered: September 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one, traded it in 18 months later to buy something else, and then six months after that bought another. I just didn't realize how much I really liked it until it was gone. As for the 14 round mags, I haven't had a problem with them.

I do think that once the LE agencies who currently use it move on to something else, SIG will drop it.

Posts: 216 | Registered: January 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one, but traded it for another P220. The extra two rounds didn't really do enough for me to justify the extra logistics. I've got a *lot* of P220 mags, mag carriers, etc. If I'm going to go with the bulk of a double stack, I'll just go with the P226.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, for one, happen to love the E2 grip on my new P226. Wink

As tight as that thing is on the frame, I can't imagine it ever coming loose without the use of a prybar, some serious cussing and dash of elbow grease.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Then again, I'm a complete stranger. What the hell does it matter what I think? (TM)

Posts: 191 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: December 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I would be willing to bet that the 227 will be a thing of the past in short order.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37082 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
If the 14 round mags are reliable, I want one in the worst way.

If not, I will do without.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I think only ISP (IN) and PSP carry the 227. That’s about 6,000 guns in circulation, maybe?

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I would be willing to bet that the 227 will be a thing of the past in short order.
Probably true but save your money because all we need are plastic goobers in the arms market. Looks like I'll be owning a lot of used metal guns in the future. Plastic has its foot hold but I'd be darned if I'd fill a safe with them.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The only real short comings in the P227s are Sig created. It has been that way on a lot of their production models. One would think with minds like Bruce Gray helping in developement, we could see more than just a slick up 320 for gamers. One would think, some where along the line, the ears at Sig might hear what Customers are asking for. The tac rail issue, the soft metal frames, disfunctional magazines, E2 some dislike, plastic guide rods. All Sig created.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Something else to consider jl, you just view the Beretta vids posted here by Ray and compare the function, speed and cyclic rate compared to the plastic 320 shot by him and tell us which piece is a better pistol. That's a very compatent shooter showing us both guns running on a equal corse of fire.

posted Hide Post
It’s funny, I bought my P227 because it had the E2 grips. I much prefer the texture and shape.

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Finally, SIG Germany are putting these "E3" grips on some of their P226s, like their LDC. I bet no more squirming around. I would love to get my hands on these E3, since I really like the gripping surface.

I gotta ask about those. My Google-Fu must be weak, I couldn't find anything on those. Can I pry for more info, please?

Posts: 798 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasRaider:
quote:
Finally, SIG Germany are putting these "E3" grips on some of their P226s, like their LDC. I bet no more squirming around. I would love to get my hands on these E3, since I really like the gripping surface.

I gotta ask about those. My Google-Fu must be weak, I couldn't find anything on those. Can I pry for more info, please?

Grabbed these off the internet.

P226 X5E SO Black

P226 LDC Euro Black

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cokehockey
posted Hide Post
My son and I love the P227 Tacops. We bought extra 14 round magazines and bought a 10 pack of the replacement PARA springs. No problems thus far, and we're looking for another. It's a fun gun to shoot and handles the recoil well.

Posts: 102 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: February 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:

Grabbed...off the internet.
P226 LDC Euro Black

They should sell those here now, they look good...

Posts: 798 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post