SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig numbering scheme
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig numbering scheme Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted
Is there any logic to the naming of the sig pistols?
P226... P229... etc..

I heard with glock it's the order of the patents that they submitted. Anyone know how sig gets the names?

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
At this point, I think it may boil down to what's available within a given range of numbers.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
None that I know of.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Well, you start with P210 and go on from there...

When did you first start having these headaches?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just as logical as things like the Short Reset Trigger (SRT). Which, of course is not a trigger...it's a sear and safety lever.

I liked things better in 1995 when I bought my first Sig P229. Us Old Farts are like that. Razz

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
Just as logical as things like the Short Reset Trigger (SRT). Which, of course is not a trigger...it's a sear and safety lever.

As opposed to the Short Reach Trigger (the other SRT), which actually is a trigger... Wink

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

As opposed to the Short Reach Trigger (the other SRT), which actually is a trigger... Wink

Yes...the migraines are beginning to start again.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Don't even get me started on having a Glock 40. No. Not the S&W, the 10mm. Mad

I just hope the damn model 45 is actually a 45 ACP ?%@$#*!"}+_

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^
Just went through that yesterday at the range with my Glock 22.

"I didn't know Glock made a 22"

They don't, it's a .40.

"But you just said it was a 22"

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could not agree more , as a member of the old club , simple is all ways better . Wink
quote:

I liked things better in 1995 when I bought my first Sig P229. Us Old Farts are like that. Razz

Posts: 15 | Registered: July 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Except that SIG Sauer called it a Short Trigger, which is actually thinner, not shorter. Big Grin

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
I think there originally was some scheme, but it got waylaid early on.

SIG Sauer's first pistol was the P220 (1975) which was designed to succeed the Swiss SIG P210.

Next came SIG Sauer's P230 (1976).
Correction: The P225 was second and then the P230.

Then came a compact version of the P220 that they called the P225 (1976), followed by the P226 (1983), then the P228 (1988), and the P229 (1992). Don't ask me why SIG Sauer skipped over the P227 in the mid '80s because I don't know.

When they ran up against the P230, then all heck broke loose with the P239 (1996) and P245 (1999). Wink

The original SigPro models made some sense, the SP2009 being 9mm and the SP2340 being available in 357 and 40. And the SP2022 was designed to fulfill a French contract that runs until the year 2022.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's my theory:
They started with the P210.

Next they made the P220, which was a significant design difference, so they skipped 10.

Then came the P225/P6, which was just a bit shorter. Why 225? Halfway to 230?

The P245 is easy. It's the 200 series chambered in .45.

Then the P226. Back to being full sized, but now double stack. Why 226 and not 221-224? Because going backward in numbers may indicate moving backwards.

The P230 was a different design basis, so they jumped to the next 10. The P232 puzzles me, because they didn't change enough to warrant a new designation (IMO) and they stopped offering the .32 chambering (save some rare ones?)

Then P228. A shorter version of the P226. Wonder if a P227 was a prototype that didn't make it, and the P228 was the one that went to production.

P229, an updated version of the P228.

P239 is interesting, because it's still classic P series, but maybe because it's a smaller pistol like the P230, but offered in the same chamberings as the P229, it got P239.

Then the SP2340. The 40 comes from its initially being offer in .40. Why the 23? Got me there. Then it became the SP2009 with 9mm. Dunno why they changed to 20xx from 23xx. Just sounds better? Futuristic? Maybe cuz it was released right by the millennium change. The only real fact I have is it changed to the SP2022 when it was adopted by the French in 2002 with a service life to...2022.

The P250 and P290? Dunno. P240 would be the next set of 10. 290 is way out there.

Almost forgot the P238. Fits with my theory of P23x being small sized pistols. And it's chambered in .380. The P938 is the same thing in 9mm.

Then you have some fillers, the P227 and P224. Surprised they didn't reboot the P245 instead of going P227.

The P320. Well it's striker which is new so makes sense to go with 300s. Why 20? It's a nod to the P220 that started it all?

I might have some of the timeline off, forgive me. And all of this (save the SP2022) is pure conjecture on my part and based solely on nothing!

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it has its problems, but I prefer it to the marketing of today. I just do not like the new names the marketing people dream up for guns. The Legion is not bad for a name but these others are a little over the top. The Saint from Springfield, the Victory from Smith and Wesson, The Commander from Springfield, the Curve from Taurus etc. Number and caliber is fine with me.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Don't even get me started on having a Glock 40. No. Not the S&W, the 10mm. Mad

I just hope the damn model 45 is actually a 45 ACP ?%@$#*!"}+_

Yeah, and the Smith and Wesson Model 357 is actually a 41 mag.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
John 3200.
the hardest time for me to explain to new potential buyers,is the sw model 57 is a 41 magnum.Okay what is a model 41, 22lr. Whats a 58 ? 41 magnum,no sights.What is a victory model? Old military pistol from ww 2.Why does that silver 22 have victory on its tag.It replaced the 22a.And on and on.

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GP229:
^^^
Just went through that yesterday at the range with my Glock 22.

"I didn't know Glock made a 22"

They don't, it's a .40.

"But you just said it was a 22"

Which is why I've taken to calling Glocks by saying Gee-22, 32, 40, etc. Working at a gun shop and dealing with a neverending run of newbies does alter one's behavior, I've discovered.

EDIT:
WAG (skipping 'P227'): maybe SIG was considering a carry size P226 at the time along with the compact P228 (y'know, shorter slide over full height frame). Kind of like the P225 was to the P220, especially when the P220 was available in 9mm. One was given P227, the other P228. The "Carry" designation has since been a reoccurring 'thing' with SIG Sauer pistols over the years. When it came down to finally deciding, they figured that they didn't need both and the P228 won out. Maybe? Perhaps?

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If SIG's numbering scheme drives you nuts; try wrapping your head around S&W's back during the peak of the 3rd generation days.

Posts: 216 | Registered: January 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
probably the same people who thought up the golf scoring scheme.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post