SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .357 SIG 1911 to .40?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.357 SIG 1911 to .40? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Got my 1911 Tacops recently and enjoy it in .357, but am wondering about .40 to cut down on ammo costs while I re-learn this platform.

Should be a simple barrel swap, right? It is with my 229, but I don't know if there's anything 1911 specific I should be aware of. Pistol already has .40 mags, obviously.

Any recs on a decent 5" .40 barrel?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
Do you reload? A set of .357 dies would cost less than a new barrel. I shoot and reload .357 and it is much cheaper to reload .357 than it is to buy .40 S&W.

If you don't reload, you can buy .357 "Canned Heat" from Georgia Arms. Before I started reloading, that's what I used in my .357. I used it for years. It's excellent practice ammunition.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Road goes on forever
and the Party never ends
Picture of Dyingtime
posted Hide Post
I have the same pistol and the same idea. My gunsmith said it would not be cost effective. In addition to the cost of the barrel it requires fitting.

" The Road goes on forever and the Party never ends"

Posts: 3297 | Location: Blairsville Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check Bar-Sto Barrels (about $225 for a semi fit w/bushing, barrel and link). They are top quality IMHO.

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
Seen 357 Sig going for about $15 a box,...Speer Lawman. Not much more than .40 now.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where'd you see that?

I think CDNN had around 16/box, but wanted a first-born for shipping. Most other places I've looked are back up to 19/box minimum.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Where'd you see that?

I think CDNN had around 16/box, but wanted a first-born for shipping. Most other places I've looked are back up to 19/box minimum.

Message me and I'll give you the link.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Email sent, Tundra.

Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
357 going rate right now is around 35-37 cents per round. 40 S&W is down almost to 9mm prices if you're willing to go remanufactured (freedom at 24 cents per round).

I think the only thing to beware of with this swap is getting a factory Sig 40 barrel, otherwise you may need to do some fitting if it's aftermarket.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've looked high and low for a Sig .40 barrel for the TacOps including most of the custom barrel makers with no luck.. Anyone actually do this conversion?

Bill

Posts: 137 | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post