SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone tried both German and US (Exter, Newington) SP2022s?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone tried both German and US (Exter, Newington) SP2022s? Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Pulled to the rear, the short trigger face is about 3mm closer to the grip frame than the standard trigger.

I do not have an Exeter made SP2022 for comparison. I picked up mine before the production was brought to US. Exeter SP2022s may lack the fit and finish of their predecessors but they don't lack in function (as far as I'm aware). Unfortunately, there aren't many of the German triples the market.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I had an SP 2340 Swiss frame that had the smooth DA trigger pull that the SIGPro series has been known for. It was a delight to shoot (although I still prefer the DA trigger of the Classic series).

Back in the Spring I attended a local SIG Days SIG Master Dealer event, with the SIG reps in attendance and a large selection of SIG demo guns. As I was examining the various SIGs available to handle and shoot I dry-fired the lone SP 2022 example. The first 1/2 to 2/3 DA trigger pull were what one would expect from a SIGPro, however the last part of the trigger pull had noticeable and excessive stacking. Keep in mind this was only a sample of one and hardly definitive, but I was slightly surprised and disappointed to find this.

I don't recall whether I ever even noticed the markings on the gun though.

Congratulations on the new SIGPro!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TEFL0N_D0N_81:
So here's the short list of what I noticed:
1) different finish (Iaflon) on slide and internals
2) slim trigger
3) magazine release button is metal and rounded
4) decocker is curved
5) trigger break and reset is a bit smoother
6) the German grips (M) feels a bit bigger than the US grips (M)
7) break down notch is closer
8) jimping on the trigger guard
9) has an internal extractor.
10) Pretty sure the German slides are made of carbon steel instead of stainless steel.

Functionally they are virtually the same.

Don't forget the different rails.

The German SP2022s have a 3-slot rail that's shallower and more rounded, similar to the rails on the Sig P22xRs, whereas the US SP2022s have a deeper and larger 4-slot rail that's more squared-off (more of a true Picatinny rail).

The difference is significant enough that US SP2022s with their larger rails won't fit in many holsters molded specifically for German SP2022s.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@RogueJSK

Thanks for the catching that. Probably the biggest noticeable difference to the eye.

I ended up swapping the old 'Sig Pro' grip out with the newer style with 'Sig Sauer' on it. It's slimmer and provides better traction.

Posts: 279 | Location: Arlington, VA | Registered: March 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
A somewhat related question if I may:

If a gun comes into a country without import marks will that cause any legal issues for the owner of the gun?

For example, someone in the USA buys a rifle only made in Europe over the internet from another US citizen, has it shipped to them and their FFL does the transfer. Years later it's discovered that the rifle doesn't have any import marks. What happens next?

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The difference is significant enough that US SP2022s with their larger rails won't fit in many holsters molded specifically for German SP2022s.

As an owner of the US I can attest that a few of the sig marketed holsters will not fit for left handed based on this. Might have been because of the change to the Exter, as I have had this one for about 4 years now, and I have no idea when they updated them/ apparently there are two us versions.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@Dead_Eye Interesting question, and I won't pretend I know anything about it to make up an answer Big Grin

Posts: 279 | Location: Arlington, VA | Registered: March 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:
A somewhat related question if I may:

If a gun comes into a country without import marks will that cause any legal issues for the owner of the gun?

For example, someone in the USA buys a rifle only made in Europe over the internet from another US citizen, has it shipped to them and their FFL does the transfer. Years later it's discovered that the rifle doesn't have any import marks. What happens next?

Import marking laws are a requirement for the importer. It has no bearing on a later owner/buyer. No issue, AFAIK, owning a gun without import marks.

For example, I own a number of older foreign-made milsurp rifles that are not import marked. Import markings were only required starting in 1968, so any foreign guns imported before that year will be without import marks.

And prior to the import marking requirements being further tightened up in the early 2000s, some importers hid their tiny import marks under bayonet lugs, below the woodline, underneath grips, etc., so that they weren't readily visible anyway.

Also, import marks are commonly engraved on the barrel for rifles. If the barrel is replaced, the import mark is lost.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
10) Pretty sure the German slides are made of carbon steel instead of stainless steel.

I don't believe that is correct, can't say I've ever seen a SP that didn't have a SS slide.

Both of mine(2340 and 2009) actually have a very faint "S" stamped in the cutout above the rear of the firing pin.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@stoic-one

Hmmm.. I thought pretty much all German slides were made with carbon steel, which isn't as corrosion resistant as stainless but less prone to fractures over a long lifespan.

I don't see a faint "S" as you mentioned. Nothing conclusive though, I guess.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
@stoic-one

Hmmm.. I thought pretty much all German slides were made with carbon steel, which isn't as corrosion resistant as stainless but less prone to fractures over a long lifespan.

I don't see a faint "S" as you mentioned. Nothing conclusive though, I guess.

Much like the P series, they quit marking slides as "Stainless" when ALL of the slides were made with SS.

Originally German slides were stamped steel, but as I understand it, all of that equipment has been decommissioned. SIG Germany swapped over to SS years ago, so if the slide doesn't have a removable breach block then it isn't stamped, it's milled SS.

Exeter/Newington/NH manufactured slides are all milled SS. I don't see a single pistol on the SIG website that has a carbon steel slide, including all of the 1911 line of products.

I'm not aware of a single SP ever made with anything other than a SS slide. If you think you have one, post up the pictures please.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@stoic-one

Thanks for the lesson. I learn something new everyday.

Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
I've got a German trip numbered and proofed SP2022 and a US one, both in 40. As far as I can tell, both shoot the same and feel the same in hand. I like the finish on the German one better but I like the rail on the US one better (the German one is non standard and more rounded). Because the rails are different they will not fit in the same holster.

BTW, the German SP2022 was my very first Sig which has now blossomed into 12. Until I discovered the short reset option on the P series the SP was my favorite trigger.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@vincent317

Interesting you brought up the holsters. I have an IMI holster that fits both just fine, with a very slight wiggle room for the German SP2022. I now realize it's due to the rail size/tolerance. In other words, the German SP2022s will fit the US holsters no problem, but a US one may fit too tight on the German ones.

Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
quote:
@vincent317

Interesting you brought up the holsters. I have an IMI holster that fits both just fine, with a very slight wiggle room for the German SP2022. I now realize it's due to the rail size/tolerance. In other words, the German SP2022s will fit the US holsters no problem, but a US one may fit too tight on the German ones.

That's exactly the problem. I had a custom leather holster made for the German & the US would not fit.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@vincent317

Feel free to correct me, but if the sizes are close enough (which I'd think they are), you should be able to stuff the US made SP2022 in the leather holster and stretch it out.

Picture of scuttlebutt
posted Hide Post
There were also variations in the Exeter made 2022 slides unless it is just confined to the 9mm versions but the rear of the slide angles forward and the cocking serrations angle forward at the same angle as well.Mine has 12.The lanyard loop on the bottom of the grip doesn't protrude like the ones in the photos but is flush on mine.

"The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese !"

Posts: 1221 | Location: Warner,N.H. | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post