SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Can I get opinions on a 4" vs 6" GP100 Revolver
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I get opinions on a 4" vs 6" GP100 Revolver Login/Join 
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted
I'm pretty set on picking up a Ruger GP100, just trying to decide between a 4" and 6" model.

I sure appreciate experiences, pro's or con's of one over the other. I guess that applies to any 4" vs 6" 357 revolver.

Thanks

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both.

The GP100 is already big, and gets quite unwieldy with a 6” barrel. Unless you are using it for hunting, I’d go with the 4.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
MNSIG, thanks, yep, it's going to be a indoor range gun only so that's good info.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I used to carry a S&W 64 and had a Ruger .357 w/ 6" barrel, I think it was a Security Six. I bought the Ruger for intra-departmental pistol competition and that was the only thing I found it good for.

If you are planning to use it at any time for a carry piece, I would recommend the 4" barrel. It would be easier to carry and present, if needed. If it is strictly a range gun, then I would opt for the 6" barrel.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my wife and I first started shooting pistols Her a S&W 686 3" and i a Ruger Red Hawk 4" that was back in 1980. Today my pistol is a Ruger GP100 WC 3" with CT laser grips. Here is a photo.

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For offhand DA shooting go 4". Shooting off the bench over a sandbag for group go 6".

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
3" is my favorite for shootability and concealibility.
Second is 4", so that's what I would suggest, but these are just the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For overall use, carry and performance, take the 4 inch.
For better ballistics (and possibly accuracy) go with a 6 inch.
For strictly concealed carry, 3 inch Wiley Clapp.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Eh? Ruger's finally making them in a proper barrel length - 5 inches, not too short and not too long.

http://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1768.html

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
How bout a 3” ?

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s going to be a range gun, I say get the 6”. The weight is not A factor because your not going to carry it. If you don’t already have a long barrel gun then definately get the 6”.

I shoot and train a lot with G19/P226 and when I switch things up with a long barrel .357 it is a nice change.

Posts: 96 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Eh? Ruger's finally making them in a proper barrel length - 5 inches, not too short and not too long.

Yes I own GP100 in 3" 4" 5" sold the 6" one after I bought the 5" GP100. It is just right for balance. The 5" GP100 is also works well with full power 357 loads.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 6" GP-100. Got a great deal on it. $350 about 15 years ago. I WISH it was a 4" however. Would be much more useful in that size.

Posts: 65 | Location: NC | Registered: September 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the Lipsey exclusive, in 5 inch. Perfect balance.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Competent When Sober
Picture of Mad Max
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlazarus:
I got the Lipsey exclusive, in 5 inch. Perfect balance.

Same here. I also had a 4" that I gave to my BIL.

Oliver Wendell Holmes - "The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

I've had a stainless 5" for a few years now, purchased from the days when it was a Davidson's exclusive. Great, perfectly balanced gun as others have voiced and an excellent complement to my 3" GP100. With those two in-hand owning a 4.2" 'tweener' really doesn't make sense anymore.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Don't forget, they have a 7 shot cylinder now!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have a 4.2" GP100 that I bought strictly for a range toy, I guess 2 more inches wouldn't really make any difference for the range. Get whichever feels best in your hand.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4 inch. I have a longer one and it is unwieldy. I might dump it actually. Too much of a good thing.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd generally get the 4". The 6" is potentially more accurate, but I prefer the aesthetics and balance of a 4" more. Within 25yards (and maybe a fair amount further) the accuracy difference is going to have more to do with how any particular shooter benefits from the longer sight radius. Everything else being equal I'd bet they'd be within .1s of an inch if shoot out of a ransom rest.

If you plan on shooting further than the 6" will start to look better.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post