SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Can I get opinions on a 4" vs 6" GP100 Revolver
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I get opinions on a 4" vs 6" GP100 Revolver Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I like Ruger, but for a 6" I think the N-frame S&W balances nicer.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I carried a 4” for a few years; it was plenty capable. Unless hunting is on the menu, a 4” will do almost all of what the 6” will do.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15499 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
4 inch. Or a newer 4.2 inch is probably more plentiful. Tagua topbreak holster.

Posts: 3483 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
Lots of good advice in the above comments. I have gp-100s in 3,4,5 and 6 inch lengths. The 3 inch can be carried owb if desired, the 6 inch is just a bit heavy. The 4 and 5 balance much better and are a joy to shoot.

You can’t go wrong with any of them, though. Good luck!

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I guess 2 more inches wouldn't really make any difference

That's not what SHE said!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You said "range gun" so I'd go withe the 6". The 4" is handier for carry, but I like 6" for target or hunting use. Less recoil and the added sight radius is a bonus.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since we’re talking GP100’s can the actions be tuned and slicked up ?

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
My first revolver was a gp100 6”. Great learning gun and I still have it. Also have the 4”.

Range use....6”...if it is comfortable to the wife. Better with .357 loads from a comfort standpoint.

Possible carry....4”.

JMHO

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's going to be only a range gun, Handle both and see how they balance. I shot a GP100 a long time ago but do not own one. I own a SW model 19 k frame 6" and it balances perfectly. However, I owned a 617 k frame with the 8 3/8" barrel and it was horribly front heavy and I ended up selling it. 4" is more versatile for things other than a range gun.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Jimmy, check the weight and balance of both.

I also have a 6 inch Model 19 and I really like it for range use. I find 25 yards shots are easier with the 6" barrel and .38 wad cutters.

However, the GP100 is a heavier pistol than the 19.

Posts: 4544 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I would bet the 5 in gp is a better all around shooter than the 6 in gun. I would hazard to guess it's better than the 4 or 6 for a camp, ranch, and home. Might not be too long for a chest rig when hiking. If I could buy my gp again, I'd go for the 5 inch over the 4. For offhand shooting I think I'd have better hits than with the 4 or the 6. Buy a 5 in gp, do a little work on it, upgrade the stocks, that is a dream utility gem of a gun by any standard. I'm drooling. I have some smiths, sigs and snakes, but I like me some Ruger love any day of the week.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I was once issued a Security 6 as a duty weapon for a while. Instant backache. I'll take a S&W any time. If you want it meaty, get a model 27 or model 28. If you want perfection, get a Model 19. If you want fixed sights, a model 65 or 13. If you want it to weigh as much as a Ruger, get a 6" 686.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Indoor range gun and possible hunting/outdoor shooting get the 6".

You will be dis appointed if you don't.

4" has its use as a duty pistol, however .357 likes the extra burn time of a longer barrel and the sight radius advantage should not be ignored.

4" is handier, 6" is more versatile in my opinion.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote 4 inch

When I sold my 6 inch GP, I actually lost $60.00 !
one of only three guns that Ive lost money on .

Made $75.00 on my SP101

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54496 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillyBonesNY:
Indoor range gun and possible hunting/outdoor shooting get the 6".

You will be dis appointed if you don't.

4" has its use as a duty pistol, however .357 likes the extra burn time of a longer barrel and the sight radius advantage should not be ignored.

4" is handier, 6" is more versatile in my opinion.

True, the gains from the extra two inches is significant for that round, because the powder in that particular magnum is not a fast burner, in order to manage peak pressure. I used to shoot bowing pins at 50 yds with a 6 inch m27, it was a fire breathing dragon, and hit pretty hard with keith style jacketed handloads. I believe 6 inches is the best barrel length for that magnum in a revolver. But I'd stil prefer the 5 inch for balance and speed.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kgray01
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlazarus:
I got the Lipsey exclusive, in 5 inch. Perfect balance.

+1

1 Sam. 15:28

Posts: 313 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote 4", but it's the only one I've shot. As someone else said, it's already a beast, and I don't see much gained from another 2".

My grandpa had one many years ago, and he reloaded every cartridge that went into it (to my memory). Once, when he was getting older, he accidentally double-charged a 50 round box that he reloaded for it. We shot about 18 rounds through it before we decided something must be wrong, based on the pure recoil. I was very young, otherwise I'd like to think I'd know right off the bat something wasn't right. But the pistol handled every single round with no observable adverse effects. The fact that he never loaded his rounds to the "maximum" might be why the pistol survived, but it's still quite a testament to the toughness of these revolvers.

Keep in mind, he bought his right after these were first introduced, so I can't speak to how tough the current ones are.

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I prefer the 4.2" I really like the balance and I tend to shoot it well. I actually rescued one earlier this week.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick B:
Since we’re talking GP100’s can the actions be tuned and slicked up ?

You bet! Check this out: https://gunner777.wordpress.co...01book-of-knowledge/

If you go to the Ruger Forum, you can find a source for the shims that are mentioned in the article. Also, Brownells may carry them.

Posts: 116 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
My first revolver was a gp100 6”. Great learning gun and I still have it. Also have the 4”.

Range use....6”...if it is comfortable to the wife. Better with .357 loads from a comfort standpoint.

Possible carry....4”.

JMHO

I agree with this.

If I were to carry- 4". 3" would be lighter, but so would I if I lost 75lbs.

Any .357 that I never intend to carry would be a 5 or 6".

If I intend to carry, I'd never get a 6".

I had a 6" GP100. I bought a 6" Blackhawk. I got a 6" S&W 586. I found a 6" Colt 357 [pre-Python].

I sold the 6" GP100 and got a 4". Keeping the 6" in the others- for now.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post