SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Those Of You With Pistol-Mounted RMRs: Favorite Reticle?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Those Of You With Pistol-Mounted RMRs: Favorite Reticle? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
I've been following archerman's thread on the DeltaPoint versus the SRO and saw that many prefer the Trijicon RMR.

For those of you who've tried it, what reticle size, color and shape do you prefer?

Any comments about why, or about experiences comparing one reticle or sight to the other, would be much appreciated.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I found that I like the 3 or 3.25 MOA. I prefer a smaller dot so I can see my target better. That's just my preference.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
As to the Trijicon, don't have one, however on the MOA, I prefer the smaller 3 over the 6, mostly due to my astigmatism, the smaller dot gives off less distortion than the larger dots.

I have found that the better optics with the better glass seem to have less distortion of the dot regardless of size..

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My preference by far is Holosun models with circle and dot. I like green over red but that's purely personal preference. The few pistols I have optics on are also ones I carry so they have larger rather than smaller dots. The Holosun are really nice in that people newer to pistol optics can use both the circle + dot to help learn proper draw stroke and fast dot acquisition and then change it to dot-only later on if preferred.

Posts: 347 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
I have both an RMR06 and RMR07. 3.25 and 6.5 MOA. The 3.25 MOA does help on further distances getting a tighter group over the 6.5 MOA, but not enough that I would call the larger dot bad or anything.

I opted for my Holosun Micro MRDS's to both be the 407k or 2 MOA dot. The extra ring didn't excite me enough to pay the extra.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm tempted to push for a smaller dot just because that gives me more visibility on a rifle without making the dot hard to see, but I'm worried about finding the dot quickly on a pistol sight if I have to. For practical purposes (as far as your shooting goes) is 2MOA really all that much smaller than 3.25 MOA? I guess what I'm asking is whether it takes that much more time to find the dot and whether it allows that much more useful visibility.

As a side note, I wish Trijicon offered a smaller triangle in the RMRs. I've learned that I like using the tip of a triangle when shooting Steyrs with trapezoidal sights, but 7 MOA or bigger just sounds like it would block out a lot of potentially useful information.

HRK, I'm definitely an astigmatism sufferer too (if "sufferer" doesn't sound too melodramatic for what's effectively a pain in the ass).

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For target and bull's-eye shooting the smaller dot sizes works extremely well for me. However I prefer the larger 6MOA dot on a defensive handgun. The small dots are nice for attempting to punch paper in the same itty-bitty spot with a pistol (or rifle), but for center of human type of accuracy I just have an easier time acquiring the larger dot. Yeah I know that I can crank up the intensity of the smaller dot sizes and somewhat simulate the size of the larger dots, but it's not quite the same. I notice more glare and refraction when doing just that with the 3.25MOAs that I have, much less so with the 6MOA because I can tone down its intensity and still maintain its dot size.

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have wondered if a edge to edge (or corner to corner) crosshair would be possible. It would be the easiest way to find the center.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
3ish MOA dot is my preference.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've spend untold amounts of ammo trying to answer that. And the answer is 3.25. As in RMR type 2 adjustable LED RM06. It only comes in red. And you get a dot period. This is of course assumes we are talking a handgun slide mounted optic. I tried for a long time to see if the 6.5mos RM07 actually ended up being better and the answer is in very short engagement distances it is, but an average over 0-25y it is worse than 06 3.25moa dot. I have tried ALL of the other rmr options and reticles (dual illuminated has a bunch of other choices in color, size and reticle) and they are substantially worse than the RM06 or RM07 in every possible way.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
hrcjon, if you don't mind my asking a theoretical question, would you be better off with a 2 MOA dot if it were available in the RMR? I have a 3 MOA dot from Steiner on a rifle and find it's a little big. OTOH, I was looking at 1KPerDay's comment too and wondering if there was something about a 3-3.25 MOA that works better on pistols.

quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
I notice more glare and refraction when doing just that with the 3.25MOAs that I have

Yup. As I mentioned earlier, I've got an astigmatism, and as with so many others, the secret to seeing a clear dot is to actually turn the dot down. I guess I'll have to take a careful look at the 6 MOA the next time I'm in the LGS; from shooting rifles I have a bias towards smaller red dots.

quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
I have wondered if a edge to edge (or corner to corner) crosshair would be possible. It would be the easiest way to find the center.

That's why I'm a fan of the trapezoidal sights and think that in abstract I'd like a triangle - the top point of the triangle is the "center of the dot". The problem is that Trijicon's smallest triangle reticle is something like 7 MOA and (per their website) not available in red.

An actual crosshair would (IMHO) actually take up a lot of space but would certainly funnel the eye to the center.

ETA: Have you had a chance to look through a Nikon Force100 1-6x24 scope? I got one with the MOA reticle and it has long, thin pointed bars extending from the bottom and sides of the reticle to a point about two-thirds of the way to the center or a little less. The center reticle is a sort of "T" shape, and grabs my eye very quickly. In the end it's kind of hard to see what the bars are really supposed to do, but as thin as they are they seem to cover a lot of ground.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I think it’s preference. I have both, with more time being spent on smaller dots. I don’t know there’s much difference.

I just installed a RMR06 on my duty gun. I chose it based upon it was a bargain.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In answer to your question while I am completely happy with 2moa on a defensive rifle (my aimpoints are all this) I would not like it on a pistol. 3MOA+- seems the lower limit to balance speed and accuracy in a pistol. In RMR's you can't actually try 2moa as that's not in the product line. But you can try 1MOA and I have and no its not better. If fact its way worse. I think one of the indicators that 3MOA ish is the best answer is when Aimpoint finally came out with an optic for a slide mounted pistol (and since they were so late to the market they had a chance to study extensively all the options) they went 3.5.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Solid, thanks!

posted Hide Post
I can make due with the just dot RMRs but strongly prefer the Holosun Circle dot reticle. For me I pick it up a bit quicker it seems especially when shooting from weird positions where I cant just punch out to pick up the dot with my normal presentation.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The more you shoot a pistol red dot, the smaller you will probably want the dot to be. I started out with a 3.25 MOA RMR, found that i really liked the 2 MOA Holosun dot (I leave it on dot only as I find the circle/dot too busy), and have since ordered a 1 MOA RMR for an upcoming gun purchase.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Add me to the 3ish dot size. With my astigmatism, if I want a larger dot, I just make it brighter. Doesn't work going the other way.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have reflex (Red Dot ) sights on all of my pistols that can have one on them.
I choose the 8 MOA for my Shield sights.
My Sig Romeo 1 is MOA 6. Sig doesn't offer an MOA8
I'm retired LE so I pack every day and.... my choice of MOA 8 or 6 is for fast SD situations. I want that dot jumping out there.
If most of your shooting is at a range then you may want the lesser MOA's for target accuracy.
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Horn, I hear you, but if you look at DanH's post just above yours you'll see him identify my secret weapon - I've got an astigmatism that's bad enough to turn a 2MOA dot into something you might've seen through a microscope back in high school chemistry lab just by turning up the brightness. For those of us with, ah, "evolved" vision, getting a dot that's quickly found is relatively easy. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I can make due with the just dot RMRs but strongly prefer the Holosun Circle dot reticle. For me I pick it up a bit quicker it seems especially when shooting from weird positions where I cant just punch out to pick up the dot with my normal presentation.

One thing I really liked about the EoTech on rifles was the circle. I can see DaBigBR's point on a smaller diameter sight, but to me it was a way of having a small red dot that was easy to find relatively quickly. Something like a 1MOA red dot and a circle might wind up being pretty dang good. FWIW, though, I'm still kinda leery of Holosun when it comes to actual defensive use and it would be nice to not buy Chinese.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I think it’s preference.

Indeed it is, based on eyesight, skills, type of shooting a person [mostly] does, lightning conditions a person [mostly] does their shooting, maybe other factors. I've tried everything between 2 and 8 MOA and I strongly prefer 5-6 minute dots. I actually found no difference at 25-30 yards with them over 2-3 minute dots and they pop up better on close/very close targets.

A little factoid: Leupold, who has been in this dot thing longer than most and has one of the best / brightest 2.5 MOA circle dots on the market (I am referring to the actual dot), is testing out a 6 MOA circle dot, as in getting feedback from users.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post