SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Re Intro-Ruger SP101 327 Federal Magnum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re Intro-Ruger SP101 327 Federal Magnum Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
For those who missed my posting in another Ruger related thread, I just found out Ruger has re introduced their 327 Federal Magnum SP101 in 3" barrel length.

Two differences between the original , are the fixed rear sight vs the blade windage adjustable on the original and the new Ruger logo grip inserts.

Am putting one on layaway at Bud's Guns today.

I missed out on the original release years ago, and saw the prices climb up to $750-$900 range ( out of my price range )for these revolvers, I can imagine many of those buyers having remorse now that Ruger has brought this revolver back.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...inless_6_shot?cpath=

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thank you for posting about this... don't want to miss this run.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
Nice! I'll have to get one.

I got one of the original GP 100 7-shots in 327 a few years ago and sold though I kinda regret it now. I like the round a lot but the gun would misfire and I didn't want to mess with sending it back to Ruger. I shoulda kept it. (As a side note, I have a new GP 100 in .22 long rifle and it misfires 3-4 out of 10 cylinders Roll Eyes) It seems Ruger's quality control is outta wack lately but based on lessons learned I'll keep this one and let Ruger fix it.

It's a versatile gun and round--it can fire several .32 cartridges as I'm sure you know. 327 Fed Mag and other .32 cartridges were the only rounds in stock during the ammo scare of 13.

Thanks for postng.

SB

"Shohna ba Shohna - Shoulder to Shoulder"

Posts: 1645 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool. I'm sure you'll like yours as much as I have mine.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I ended up with 2 Taurus 2" M327's after missing out on the initial run of Ruger 327 SP101's.

Occassionally , I would find them in the years after, but most sellers were asking $600-$800 , much more than I could put into that revolver.

The 2" Taurus are much lighter to carry, but not in the same league as the Ruger. I much prefer the 327 Federal Magnum to the 357 Magnum.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this going to be a regular option or a special run?

Either way I'm not going to miss out on this run. Just wondering how much time I've got, this time, to get one.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Is this going to be a regular option or a special run?

Either way I'm not going to miss out on this run. Just wondering how much time I've got, this time, to get one.

I don't know the answer to your question, Maybe someone in the forum can give you an answer on that.
Ruger also introduced their LCRx (exposed hammer) in 327 Federal Magnum recently, for those wanting a lighter revolver.

I had debated getting one of the LCRx Ruger revolvers in 327 Federal, a lot lighter to carry, but there is something about the SP101 that gives It my nod.

Perhaps I'll get the LCRx later.

美しい犬

posted Hide Post
^^^ That one has been out for about a year or so...
Almost bought one, but put it on the back burner.

They keep adding more 327 options, so I'd like to think they're here to stay for a while.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
I wish ammunition for .327 were more available and less expensive. For now, handloading seems to be the best option. When I can get the money saved for a set of dies and enough ammo to reload, I'll probably go for the new release of the SP101 in .327 Federal.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roustabout:
I wish ammunition for .327 were more available and less expensive. For now, handloading seems to be the best option. When I can get the money saved for a set of dies and enough ammo to reload, I'll probably go for the new release of the SP101 in .327 Federal.

The ammo sure won't be found in major chain stores, but most gun shops carry it, at least in my area. As far as cost, most of what I purchase is on par with other calibers.

It is a handloders caliber , I have not broken down and bought dies yet.

美しい犬

Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:

Starline brass can be had in at least 3 .32 cases. I shoot the hell out of S&W long, couple 3 grains of unique and 100g wadcutter makes a nice alternative to .22 rimfire. Cast lead bullets for H&R cases, and jacketed in the 327. Feds. 3 cases, 3 power levels, easy peasy.

Now to convince myself to use my savings for a Henry rifle, not the 3" SP-101 that I think would be ideal.

Get that 3" before they run out or change their minds.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
quote:

Starline brass can be had in at least 3 .32 cases. I shoot the hell out of S&W long, couple 3 grains of unique and 100g wadcutter makes a nice alternative to .22 rimfire. Cast lead bullets for H&R cases, and jacketed in the 327. Feds. 3 cases, 3 power levels, easy peasy.

Now to convince myself to use my savings for a Henry rifle, not the 3" SP-101 that I think would be ideal.

Get that 3" before they run out or change their minds.

I have read about the Henry 327 Federal Magnum rifles, both rifle and carbine versions.

I bet they would be some kind of handy.

However, they are pricey.

美しい犬

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I am [] this close to putting a LCR in .327 Fed. on layaway. It seems to be almost the perfect caliber in a small, light revolver.
And, like you, the 3" SP101 is also on my list. A guy who shoots Steel Challenge with us brought his out at a match last summer, and let us take turns shooting it with full-pop magnums.
It was divine.
The question I'm struggling with (like you) is...which one to get first?

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my .327 LCR. The .327 is WILD! The flexibility is great.

The SP101 I have seen lately have been crap. I had one that I sent back twice for gritty, wretched trigger pull. The second time it came back really sweet. They still did not fix the scratches on the frame, nor the malaligned hammer pin that protruded too far to the opposite side. It grouped about 6” left no matter who shot it, the barrel was rotated.

I passed today on an SP101 9mm that had a crappy trigger and a crane that had a gap and sharp edge when it was closed.

Good luck, but these lately have sucked. I would say if you are going to get one, just look it over closely.

Dave

Posts: 1153 | Location: Decatur, GA | Registered: November 14, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of y-not
posted Hide Post
My carry at work gun is the LCR in 327 and have a 4" SP101 that will ring a 8" gong at 100 yards all day long with my hand loads.

“Denial kills you twice. It kills you once, at your moment of truth when you are not physically prepared: You didn’t bring your gun; you didn’t train. Your only defense was wishful thinking. Hope is not a strategy. Denial kills you a second time because even if you do physically survive, you are psychologically shattered by fear, helplessness, horror and shame at your moment of truth.”

Posts: 642 | Location: Pinellas Park, Fl | Registered: January 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post