SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Magazine spring confusion P229 9mm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magazine spring confusion P229 9mm Login/Join 
posted
I recently picked up a used 229 in 9mm. I have been going about replacing all the springs. When it came time for the magazine springs I noticed something odd. The new springs were shorter than the old ones.

Old on the left, new on the right

Anyone run into this before?

Posts: 28 | Registered: May 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first thing that comes to mind is maybe the new springs are for the restricted 10 round magazines?

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Or, previous owner stretched the old spring out.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie:
The first thing that comes to mind is maybe the new springs are for the restricted 10 round magazines?

Hope not. Ordered the standard springs for 228/229 13 round magazines from Wolff Springs

posted Hide Post
Or the newer springs were made with greater tension.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like there are more loops in one spring. I would send Wolff the picture and see what they say or just try the new ones and see how they work. I dont think I have taken my mags apart to notice any issues.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Are the magazines German or Sig Mec-Gar? If I remember correctly the 13 round German mags had different springs than the 13 round Sig Mec-Gar. I want to say the German mags had less coils.

Looking at the spring on the left in your pic are the upper coils narrower than the lower coils? So when they are compressed they will nest into each other? If so that is a spring for a Sig OEM Mec-Gar sourced magazine. The wider bottom coils will not fit into a German Sig magazine with the indents at the bottom. The coils for the German mag spring are the same width from top to bottom.

Here is the mag spring from a 13 round German magazine. I don't happen to have a Sig OEM Mec-Gar with me at the moment.

Here is a spring from a Mec-Gar 15 round "extra capacity" magazine. I believe the 13 and 15 round Mec-Gar mags had the same springs just different followers. The 15 rounder had a shorter follower to allow the 2 more rounds.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
The one on the left is from a mec-gar 13 rnd., the one on the right is for German 13 rnd. I just compared two P228 magazines, mec-gar has more coils compared to German magazine.

Posts: 1558 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I picked up a couple used P228/229 Sig factory 13rd mags. When loading them, the springs were noticeably stronger and more difficult to compress. When I took them out, I noticed they were longer and had more coils, just like in the OP's photo.

I took apart one of my P226 mags to compare springs, and they looked identical. I figure the previous owner installed 226 mag springs in place of the 228/229 ones. Can anyone think of any detriment to doing so? Is a stronger spring any more likely to cause feed errors?

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The magazine's in question are Mec-gar 13 rounders. Perhaps I ordered the incorrect ones. I thought I had the single profile vs double profile spring thing figured out.

I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Do they work?

If so forget about it.

Looks to me the wire dia on the shorter one is thicker. Measure it and see.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
The wire diameter on the magazine spring is .050 on the German and Mec-gar 13 rnd magazines. German spring has 11 coils, single profile. Mec-gar has 14 coils, and double profile, but only slight not as obvious like 15 rnd spring.

Posts: 1558 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

Here is a spring from a Mec-Gar 15 round "extra capacity" magazine. I believe the 13 and 15 round Mec-Gar mags had the same springs just different followers. The 15 rounder had a shorter follower to allow the 2 more rounds.

You are close. I just checked our internal document of parts and the followers are the same but the springs are different.

Posts: 9 | Registered: June 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MecGar:
quote:

You are close. I just checked our internal document of parts and the followers are the same but the springs are different.

***************"********
Smile Welcome, and thanks for info, and thanks for your quality magazines. Does Mec-gar have plans for producing P239 magazines??

Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I had wondered myself what the difference was internally to accommodate an additional two rounds. Also wonder why Sig doesn't just ship 15 rounders with P229s given that it's my understanding that Mec-Gar manufactures most or all Sig magazines. Seems to me doing so would draw more buyers to that model...certainly couldn't hurt. Anyhow, welcome to the forum. Glad to have another rep available as a resource.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:
quote:
quote:

I had wondered myself what the difference was internally to accommodate an additional two rounds. Also wonder why Sig doesn't just ship 15 rounders with P229s given that it's my understanding that Mec-Gar manufactures most or all Sig magazines. Seems to me doing so would draw more buyers to that model...certainly couldn't hurt. Anyhow, welcome to the forum. Glad to have another rep available as a resource.

I believe the newer E2 style 229s ship with 15 rounders.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
Do they work?

If so forget about it.

Looks to me the wire dia on the shorter one is thicker. Measure it and see.

Bob

Ran them this past weekend in a Defensive Pistol shoot my club was running, seemed to do fine. I'll probably just keep them in my range bag for now anyway.

Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
I believe the newer E2 style 229s ship with 15 rounders.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I was speaking specifically about the Classic.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post