SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My New Favorite .45...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My New Favorite .45... Login/Join 
Picture of Tooky13
posted
Went over to my gun club a couple of weeks ago and the first thing I did, which is my normal routine, is swing by the used gun display to see what they’ve taken in trade and are now selling. The pistol that caught my eye was a P227 SAS that looked like new. After checking it out and discovering my first impressions weren’t far off (it may have had a couple of mags run through it, but that’s it. One of the mags was still sealed in plastic) and seeing what they were asking ($495), I couldn’t pass it up. I really wasn’t in the market for a P227, but I’m very partial to SIGs without rails and short extractors. I especially like the SAS versions, as the Custom Shop does a great job on the melding and dehorning. My favorite carry gun is a P229 SAS with G10 grips. I shoot it better than any of my other ‘compact’ guns and the balance is ideal for me.

I’m not a big fan of the E2 grips, I’ve always preferred the Hogue G10 Piranha grips, so that was the one thing I did change. I’ve now put about 200 rounds through it and couldn’t be happier with the way it shoots. It’s a very smooth, soft shooter… for a .45. I’ve heard complaints about the grip being too wide, but I’ve found it to be just fine and I don’t have large hands.

Here she is…

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1308 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Damn, that's a steal. Congrats! Cool
You have no problems with the thin trigger?

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.

That is s smokin' deal.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
You have no problems with the thin trigger?

No, I'm good with the trigger. Have the same one on my M11-A1 and it seems to suit me fine as well.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1308 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Nice looking pistola, fellow Sig Forum member.

Seems as if I am in the minority, as I prefer the thin triggers on Sigs.

To be honest, I wouldn't have liked it as well if it wasn't the SAS version.
Big Grin

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Nice score!

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Very nice! But, those don't look like the other G10 Piranhas I've seen. Are they different for the 227?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a bad deal! I wasn't familiar with the 227, but on checking Sig's website, it's only about 1/2" longer, very slightly taller than a 229, and only gives up two rounds capacity over the .40/.357 229.

I'd have done it, too! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
Very nice! But, those don't look like the other G10 Piranhas I've seen. Are they different for the 227?

Hogue is apparently phasing out the large pattern Piranha and going to the smaller pattern as shown on these grips. I prefer the larger pattern, which is what I have on most of my guns, but these are nice too. It may be that they'll still make the large pattern for some models (?), but these are the only ones for the P227. The last set I got for one of my X5's only came in the small pattern as well.

Abraham Lincoln

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. That's an amazing deal.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
That P227 has flung a craving on me.

Is the SAS model rare, small production, etc?
TY for info.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Smokin deal.

I'd have bought it too.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a great deal!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a nice addition.

Posts: 2211 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Looking pretty sweet there. Congrats on a nice find.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Awesome find; nothing like a Sig 220 45!
Hogue G-10s are on all my Sigs. Thanks for the info on the Piranhas. I'll need to try the new pattern...

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
At that price it would have followed me home too!

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1930 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats. A no-brainer at that price.

Posts: 133 | Location: Westfield, IN | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Very nice and a good price!

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Very nice price!! I also like the no rail and since there is no longer a P229 SAS.....

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post