SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What comes first - magazines or holster?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What comes first - magazines or holster? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
Order the holster first. A good one will take months to arrive. Then pick up mags in the meantime.

Well, depends, but, yeah. And...

quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Best to wait and see if it's a keeper first.

This ^^^^^

If it's a carry piece I get the holster ordered as soon as I know it's going to work out--which means after a range trip. Then I worry about spare mags.

If it's a range toy (I have only one of those and will probably have no others) it may get no holster at all, so it's mags.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Mags, followed very closely by the holster? After I have the gun in hand, then I do my research on holsters, depending on how I plan to carry it.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Order the holster first. A good one will take months to arrive. Then pick up mags in the meantime.

There ya go.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of alien gear 3.0 backings. I just order a new shell.

I like the 3.0 more than a lot of expensive custom holsters I have had n the past.

I get about 3 mags to begin with and pick up more along the way. 3 is good to start with on a carry gun, I won't wear those out while picking up some along the way.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Magazines, because the gun needs 250-500 rounds through it before it MAY be to be carried.

So no need for a holster until at least partway through that shooting period.

quote:

I can understand waiting that long for a sweetass BBQ leather rig or something, but for a duty / EDG kydex holster (all I carry with), I don't wait more than 2 weeks.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

quote:

I can understand waiting that long for a sweetass BBQ leather rig or something, but for a duty / EDG kydex holster (all I carry with), I don't wait more than 2 weeks.

I actually do both. I own only 4 SIG's, and shoot all four in IDPA, so for each one I have a BladeTech kydex OWB holster, which will also "work" for carry. It is also nice to have a holster just for range use or just shooting in the desert. For carry, though, and this applies to three of the four SIG's, I order an appropriate carry holster. The P320 is a game gun only, so only BladeTech. The P938 has a nice Ryan Grizzle pocket holster. The P220-45 Elite has a Garrett Industries leather lined kydex OWB, and the P220-10mm Elite is still waiting on (but almost there) an Andrews Leather OWB. That one was ordered last November.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mags!

Posts: 125 | Registered: November 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mags first. I only own holsters for about 3 or 4 guns.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holster? That's what duct tape is for.

Mags first.

Posts: 89 | Registered: December 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
For no particular, articulable reason, holster first. But I don't buy anything until I'm satisfied with the gun's reliability and shooting qualities/properties, or IOW, that I like it.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, it depends on the firearms intended purpose. Most of the time it would be mags first and then, if it makes its way to being a carry or comp pistol, a holster. My G43 on the other hand was bought just for carry, so the holster was ordered before I bought the gun. I also bought the Hyve +2 extension before the gun. I can stock up on mags after I have it broken in and I'm carrying it.

---------------------------
And... Have a good 'un.

Posts: 279 | Registered: October 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post