SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 differences with 1911
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 differences with 1911 Login/Join 
posted
I have owned and shot a P220 S (Sport Stock) since 2011. I've always wanted to get a 1911. I have shot a few rentals at ranges, but they always seem to be low-end, high round count, abused models, so I feel I don't have a sense of how a quality 1911 would shoot in comparison.
Other than the mechanical makeup difference (unless that helps explains how they shoot) of the 1911, how is the shooting experience in comparison to a good P220? (Sighting, return to target controlling, trigger, accuracy, reliability, feel, etc...)
Are there any members out there who own both, who could offer their opinions, experiences, and thoughts on the two? Appreciate the thoughts.

Posts: 15 | Registered: March 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
A higher quality 1911 will be tighter, more accurate, and typically have a better trigger, but boy is there a range of 1911s available. More expensive 1911s have also typically been modified to accept more than just ball.

The one thing to note between a 1911 and pretty much any other modern semiauto, is that the 1911 isn't at all tolerant of limp wristing. Will all pistols jam with sufficient limp wrist? Sure, but the 1911 is going to make you mind your grip. At least, waaay back when I first shot them, the 1911 cleaned up my technique.

If there is a difference in "return to target" between a 220 and 1911, I don't feel it anymore. I notice a difference between shooting magnum calibers and .45 or 9mm, but no overwhelming difference among autos of the same caliber. I think the "return to target" also changes with each shooter and their level of experience.

As far as a range beater 1911, and then the average offerings from SIG and a lot of makers, the $800 mark is going to offer a lot over that range gun. Some ranges do put nice 1911s out, but if I had to guess it was some sort of 1991a1 or similar base model.

More expensive 1911s do get progressively nicer and more accurate, but in my humble experience, once I learned what the 1911 wanted, reliability was not an issue even with non-fancy models.

I enjoy both pistols, but for range enjoyment I'll have to give the 1911 the edge due to trigger and bore axis. My favorite P220 for the range is the sport comp. I should probably get one before they are any harder to find.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
A higher quality 1911 will be tighter, more accurate, and typically have a better trigger, but boy is there a range of 1911s available. More expensive 1911s have also typically been modified to accept more than just ball.

The one thing to note between a 1911 and pretty much any other modern semiauto, is that the 1911 isn't at all tolerant of limp wristing. Will all pistols jam with sufficient limp wrist? Sure, but the 1911 is going to make you mind your grip. At least, waaay back when I first shot them, the 1911 cleaned up my technique.

If there is a difference in "return to target" between a 220 and 1911, I don't feel it anymore. I notice a difference between shooting magnum calibers and .45 or 9mm, but no overwhelming difference among autos of the same caliber. I think the "return to target" also changes with each shooter and their level of experience.

As far as a range beater 1911, and then the average offerings from SIG and a lot of makers, the $800 mark is going to offer a lot over that range gun. Some ranges do put nice 1911s out, but if I had to guess it was some sort of 1991a1 or similar base model.

More expensive 1911s do get progressively nicer and more accurate, but in my humble experience, once I learned what the 1911 wanted, reliability was not an issue even with non-fancy models.

I enjoy both pistols, but for range enjoyment I'll have to give the 1911 the edge due to trigger and bore axis. My favorite P220 for the range is the sport comp. I should probably get one before they are any harder to find.

Thanks so much for the response. This was exactly what I was hoping for. I enjoyed hearing about the 1911 accuracy. My P220 "sport stock" came with a test target of 5 shots in 1 5/8 inch at 25 meters (27 1/3 yards so that's under 1 1/2 at 25 yards). This is way better than I will ever shoot so I am looking forward to the 1911 even more. Appreciate your insight. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
I had a 5" Sig 1911/45, and sold it. It was such a nice shooting gun. I kind of wish I'd kept it! I bought a P220 two tone, with a SS fame, so it's nice and heavy like a 1911, but there is just something about a 1911...I think I shoot the 1911 better. It was my wife's favorite gun to shoot, but now she thinks that she likes the 220 better, since it's the same platform as our other three Sig's (2-M11's, and 1-226). If this 220 had the alloy frame, I'd likely have a much different opinion of it, compared to the 1911.
A 1911 just has a way of making you feel like a better shooter.

Posts: 198 | Location: SE Louisiana  | Registered: August 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've owned and shot 1911's for 50 yrs (yep, half a friggin century) and they are my favorite platform bar none. I don't have experience with P220's but I do own a P245 which is very close. While DA/SA pistols have the advantage of not having a safety to worry about, they just don't come close to the SA triggers of well made 1911's. I'm way more accurate with 1911's than DA/SA pistols, just because of my long term experience with them.

I think that Sig and Springfield are producing very reasonably priced, quality 1911's and you can't go wrong with either of them.

If you live anywhere near Spokane Wa. I'd be happy to let you try out my 1911's.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I hope to let you know very soon.

I moved from the 1911 platform probably 30+ years ago. I moved from a 70's era Combat Commander to a 4506, from there to a G-21 and then to the P-220 platform, which has served me well since the 90's. All of my P-220's were .45 acp, until approx 2 years ago, when a member here sold me an excellent condition American P-220, chambered for .38 Super.

While I shoot the .45 very well, IMO, I shoot the .38 Super even better.

Two weeks ago, I won an auction for a Wilson Combat Elite Professional, chambered for .38 Super. I hope to get out to shoot and photograph my new (new to me, it is previously owned) Wilson 1911.

I have really high hopes for the Wilson, but if it does not work out, I will return to the P-220/.38 Super.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you are looking for. There isn't the wide scope of variety with the P220 as there is the 1911.

The 1911s I have are in 10mm, 38 Super, 40 S&W, and .17mach2. Of these, the 38 Super is the smoothest running as it only needs a 6 1/2 pound recoil spring. The .17mach2 is great for targets in the back yard. The 40 S&W is more accurate than what I thought any 40 could be. the 10mm holds 15 rounds and has a 6 inch barrel. All of these are spot on every time.

There is a lot of proven designs in the 1911 architecture. You may not have a use for a progressive rifling or a tiny rimfire, and shouldn't pay extra for such a thing. The $800 - $1200 range will put a really nice 1911 in your hands.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
... how is the shooting experience in comparison to a good P220? (Sighting, return to target controlling, trigger, accuracy, reliability, feel, etc...)
Are there any members out there who own both, who could offer their opinions, experiences, and thoughts on the two? Appreciate the thoughts.

Own both; much prefer the 1911 for every aspect except take-down & cleaning ease.

My sole 220 is a 10mm SA. While otherwise adequate in all manner, there's just something a little.....lacking....as a long-time 1911 fan with only recent 220 experience....and I don't shoot it anywhere as pleasingly as the 1911. Realize that is purely subjective.

My only 1911 caliber is 45 acp.

Reliability has not been issue with either. The 220 is SA only , so similar trigger feel. The Hunter Sig is amply designed for all/any loads I've used. On the other hand, I am far more likely to actually hit bowling pins with single shot with the 1911 than the 220-10.

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No more Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of cobrajet
posted Hide Post
I've owned examples of both and while Imlike a P220 and used to carry one, the 1911 wins hands down for me. Accuracy can't be beat, never had a problem with reliability out of a 1911 like some people claim, and they are just a joy to shoot. Take down is not at all difficult with most 1911s either, once you're used to it, a 1911 strips very quickly. For the price of a regular P220, you can get a very nice reliable 1911 from Colt, Springfield, or Ruger, among others.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The problem with our Liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan

Posts: 12401 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: November 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I've owned and shot 1911's for 50 yrs (yep, half a friggin century) and they are my favorite platform bar none. Jim

Here's another old timer with the 1911. Introduced to it in my teens and carried it throughout my Army Career. I'm now over 70 so guess I've been using it around 50 years. I flirted briefly with the DA/SA platform with several Berettas and ended up with a P220 in 38 Super which I carried for a while but I wandered back to the dark side with my 1911s. I could never get used to the DA first shot and could never build speed on target with first like I could the 1911. I own them in 22, 380, 9mm, 10mm, 40, 45, and 38 Super. Don't make the mistake of putting a lot of money in your first. There are a lot of moderately priced 1911s out there that will do all you want.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a 220 and 245. Also Sig 1911 and Ruger Commanders in 9mm and 45.
While I shoot the 1911 better, I prefer the 220 for its quick first shot with out releasing a safety.
And safe, proficient use of the 1911 requires more training and dedication then that with other types of pistols.
A 1911 can be finicky about what magazines that function well in them.
Ruger, Springfield and Sig make 1911s in the price range of $750 to $1000 that will do a good job for you.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW, here's my short take.

I own Sig DA/SA's (no P220), 1911's P320's and Glocks. I shoot all of them very well.

Only the 1911 and P320 are what I call "natural shooters". By that I mean they just give me hits, as long as I do my part. As Jones said regarding the P320 (and 1911 for me), it is VERY tolerant of inputs that aren't perfect. In essence, very forgiving of small shooter errors.

Nice thing to have in a defensive pistol, especially when starting from the holster.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
The closest Sig I have is my P220 Carry SAO Sig and it has an excellent trigger. But the 1911's I own still has the edge when I shoot them in terms of accuracy and a better trigger.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two different worlds that shoot the same caliber. I really enjoy the P220 but LOVE the 1911! 1911's have killed more people than small pox Wink the 1911 is just perfect for me however I carry a Glock everyday.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I've owned and shot 1911's for 50 yrs (yep, half a friggin century) and they are my favorite platform bar none. I don't have experience with P220's but I do own a P245 which is very close. While DA/SA pistols have the advantage of not having a safety to worry about, they just don't come close to the SA triggers of well made 1911's. I'm way more accurate with 1911's than DA/SA pistols, just because of my long term experience with them.

I think that Sig and Springfield are producing very reasonably priced, quality 1911's and you can't go wrong with either of them.

If you live anywhere near Spokane Wa. I'd be happy to let you try out my 1911's.

Jim

Very generous Jim. Long way as I live in NH.
Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Not to get off the subject, but I never really got into the 1911 platform until I held a Dan Wesson pistol. I know there are more expensive makes out there, but for the money, they make one heck of a pistol. I had a Valor and was really impressed at how well the craftsmanship is with them. Like others have said, don't scrimp on saving money for a lesser pistol which ever you choose. Sometimes it pays to pay a little more for a quality gun you can grow with.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Sig P220 stainless, and a P220 equinox,as well as a Kimber Ultra Raptor, Ive had several other 1911s and The P220 is just a more natural feeling weapon in my had.Nothing at all against mr Brownings weapon but for ME the P220 is the best defence, and overall weapon.

Posts: 713 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post