SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Stripped grip screw
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stripped grip screw Login/Join 
posted
As I posted earlier, I semi-inherited my FIL's French Mac 50 semi-auto 9mm. Fairly clean but bone dry. Lubricated and shot it last weekend.

Finally got to clean it today and I decided to do a detailed strip and clean. Except, one of the 4 grip screws (all filthy and a tinge rusty), will NOT come out. Basic slot screw with a tiny washer. You can see the screw-face is getting deformed and damaged from past attempts. I'm so tempted to snap-off the grip and replace with a reproduction...but it is a rare pistol from 1953. Must...show...restraint.

So, any suggestions? Or do I take it to the local gunsmith, wait a week, and pay to have it removed?

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you used any kind of lubricant or break free? Try using something like that and then try the screws again. You could also try drilling it out, if you are inclined to do so. I have had to do this a couple times. A drill press would be optimal but not necessary.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 234 | Location: Bucks County, PA | Registered: December 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I had that happen with a 228. I stopped by my local gunsmith and he had it out in seconds with no damage to the grip. Didn't even charge me. If you've got a local guy I'd let him take a look before I trashed the screw beyond hope. If that's not an option, let some penetrating oil seep into the threads and go slowly with the best fitting screwdriver you can find.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried oil seeping in overnight. Nadda. Looks like a hopefully quick trip to a local gunsmith.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Tried oil seeping in overnight. Nadda. Looks like a hopefully quick trip to a local gunsmith.

Have you tried Kroil seeping in overnight? Kroil is a wonderful break free solution.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just dropped it off at my local gunsmith (like a 10-minute drive). He said he just had one in the shop, but my FIL's was in much better condition. In addition to removing the stuck screw, he's going to check it out top to bottom. He also has a line on original magazines he'll share when I pick it up.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I see you already dropped it off, but for next time, an impact screwdriver is the tool needed.

Stuck Screw Removal

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post