SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I broke my glock
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I broke my glock Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
I didn't know that was possible. Have you guys ever seen a front sight just fall off? We were doing a drill where there's numbers on a board and the other one would call them out at random. I noticed it facing sideways halfway through the drill Confused

This gun probably has... 6000 rounds through it under my ownership. I ran the drill again with no front sight and did surprisingly well (one miss) the smaller holes were on the backer when we hung it up

upload your photos

upload your photos

The cluster of holes on the right was where we were putting playing cards to cut in half Big Grin

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Who installed the sights?

Use locktight on the little screw?

While I like Glocks, I dislike all screw in front sights and prefer dovetail front and rears.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

While I like Glocks, I dislike all screw in front sights and prefer dovetail front and rears.

Previous owner I'd imagine. I agree, I wish you could dovetail them on these guns.

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock plastic sights are not known for their durability or longevity.

If it's an aftermarket sight, the screw probably wasn't locktited. Not hard to remedy.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Pretty common.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Ya those sites are not the sturdiest. Easy to fix though.

I saw someone at a match shooting through one of those plywood things with different shapes cut into it. Guy jammed his gun part way through one of the holes, shifted to get another target putting the top of the slide against the top of the cutout. Yep, he lost his sight. It was funny watching him try and transition to the next target. There was no site but it took him a second to realize there was no site.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

They used to be even worse with the split "stem" and toothpick wedge.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My first exp with screw in front was with the Walther PPS, I snapped the first screw off and had to buy a new front Mepro for it since part of the screw was stuck in ti - no surprise why Meprolight sold them separately as a front only.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Installation problem, not a Glock problem. Red Loctite will prevent that.
If you ever want to remove it, just heat the screw from the bottom (inside the slide) with a soldering gun.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
huh? I think I read this post clearly and don't see any indication of what sight fell off. fell free if I missed it.
The glock plastic ones are junk, ditch asap.
An aftermarket one you need locktite and then all ia GTG.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Pretty common.

^^^This . Seen it a few times at our club .
The screw was not Loctited .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick B:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jljones:
Pretty common.

^^^This . Seen it a few times at our club .
The screw was not Loctited .
Thread title is misleading.
Nothing broke .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Fairly common. As has been said loctite it and just make a habit of checking on it when cleaning. I had a G19 front loosen a bit on me recently.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
It took THAT long? Mine come off as soon as the new pistola comes home with me! I really dislike the stock sights.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I have seen this happen at an USPSA match.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zerious
posted Hide Post
Happened to my G21 a number of years ago. I picked up a HiViz overmolded front sight @ Sportsman's Warehouse and some red locktite and never had an issue again.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
- Carl Sagan

Posts: 2120 | Location: Arizona | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Was it a factory plastic front sight?

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
These weren't stock, they were trudot. I've o be probably 20 glocks and never had an issue. I'm surprised it's so common.

├┼┼╕
246R

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
It's only common from no loctite I imagine.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3596 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

They used to be even worse with the split "stem" and toothpick wedge.

My Gen 3 G22 factory night sight was 'stamped' in.. Eek

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post