SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How Many Magazines Are Recommended for CC?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Many Magazines Are Recommended for CC? Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
For me, its all about risk assessment. As much as you can, anyway. What do you do and where do you go on a daily basis? What can occur while you are there? Then train and carry for your reality. Of course, the argument can be made that threat events are unpredictable in nature.
But daily life is the governing factor for me.
Since I am retired, I no longer ride to the sound of the guns. Crime is low here in the Yoop. My daily travels and activities, even in the bush, are such that one in the gun and one on the belt are a good choice for me.

I couldn't agree more...and this is why I find polls and discussions like this so pointless...it simply doesn't matter how many mags/ how many rounds someone else carries as it doesn't influence my decision.

There are probably dozens of factors to consider if one really considers the subject...do you even train to perform magazine changes, do you use a wheel chair, do you have flexibility limitations that would limit the number of mags you could realistically reach, are you using crutches or a walker, how often do you drive or are in a seated position vs. standing as this can affect not only spare mag location but whether you could realistically reach it, how many mags you can realistically conceal and how much additional girth they add to your dimensions...hell, a few months ago I was in a sales office and the girl behind the desk was on the phone and motioned for me to sit down...in some froo-froo rough hewn wood furniture type chair with arms that sat high and a seat so narrow that Tattoo from Fantasy Island would have had a hard time getting into it. Granted I need to lose some weight, but the dimensions of this chair were of such ridiculously small proportions that when I went to get up out of the chair it stuck to my ass. If I had been wearing my spare mag on my side as I often do I would have needed a crow bar to get out of that damned chair...I can think of other factors as well.

There is no correct number and I carry "X" number of mags and "X" number of rounds to meet my needs and to comply with my circumstances and my limitations.

Reasonable people should at least concede that having more than just the one magazine available in a semi-auto makes sense from a reliability and redundancy standpoint, not to mention the total number of rounds available for defensive use...but beyond that there is no correct number of rounds or correct number of magazines.

As with so many of these types of discussions you carry what makes sense for your individual circumstances...not what makes sense for someone else's criteria or for a diverse group of shooters on a gun forum.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work in one of the largest retail establishments in America, so our threat level is much higher than the average citizen. (For example, I typically wear two Level IV hard panels, both front and back in my vest carrier.)

That said, I carry 15-rd mag in my pistol, two more 15-rd mags on my belt, and three 21-rd magazines on my vest. Of course, on the rapid response golf cart, I keep 4 more 21-rd magazines, plus an ammo can for reloads.

---------
If you appreciate private ownership of firearms, please join the NRA, before it's too late. (Benefactor Member)

Posts: 77 | Registered: April 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MMA10mm:
I work in one of the largest retail establishments in America, so our threat level is much higher than the average citizen. (For example, I typically wear two Level IV hard panels, both front and back in my vest carrier.)

That said, I carry 15-rd mag in my pistol, two more 15-rd mags on my belt, and three 21-rd magazines on my vest. Of course, on the rapid response golf cart, I keep 4 more 21-rd magazines, plus an ammo can for reloads.

Be careful out there. When I worked in a similar establishment I was taking continuous shots from a .338 lapua to my back every day. Really stung.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:

Gecko45?

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:

Be careful out there. When I worked in a similar establishment I was taking continuous shots from a .338 lapua to my back every day. Really stung.

Threat Level Midnight.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I feel like Gecko45 is almost “our” Leroy Jenkins. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
I voted 1 mag, and that's for the mag in the gun.

Yep.
I've got 11 shots to do what needs to be done while I unass the area and 17 more in the vehicle.
If that fails then we're down to the Benchmade and that never runs out of ammo.

Some of you guys must clank when you walk with all that stuff you say you carry.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
The real question is how many signal mirrors do you all carry?

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:

Gecko45?

I was thinking the same thing!

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I rarely have spare magazines on my person, but they're generally within reach.
Even when you are walking around? They follow you in public? Wink

Wait, you guys don't have an entourage?

quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
The real question is how many signal mirrors do you all carry?

It's stew fields, all the way down.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 46and2,

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

I do. But, I can't get them to carry my magazines. They keep insisting on carrying MP5s instead.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
One in the pistol (1911, 99% of the time) and always one extra if around our acreage country property. Two extra if I'm going to be away from home.

Mall ninjas obviously have different requirements to make them look cool to the teenage girls... Razz

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:

Threat Level Midnight.

Holy smokes! Is that finally out? Wink

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They keep insisting on carrying MP5s instead.

MP5? Guess I'm behind the times. I only have an MP3 player.

How's the sound quality from an MP5? Can you crank up the volume pretty well? What's the storage capacity? Any battery issues? Are they waterproof?

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I do. But, I can't get them to carry my magazines. They keep insisting on carrying MP5s instead.

Lucky you.

I need to upgrade.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I do miss my MP5....

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post