SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How Many Magazines Are Recommended for CC?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Many Magazines Are Recommended for CC? Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
mags ? its not the mags, its the number of rounds.

30 minimum

So, you shove your sole 33 rnd. Glock mag into your pistola and the mag goes kaput...then what?

Round Count is a consideration, but so are the number of functional mags available should you really need them.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I voted 1 mag, and that's for the mag in the gun. My friend is always trying to get me to carry 2 extra mags and I refuse.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
One mag. It is not for if trouble finds me, it is in case my other magazines fails.

If I feel the need to carry more than one mag, I probably need plates and a rifle. I have other pistol magazines in my vehicle, and obviously at the house. But, I only carry one spare on me.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37083 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Shit, ya'll say two as in one in pocket and one in gun. I say two as in after your first 17 plus 1 in chamber, you got two other 17'ers I mean, why take a chance? Whats good enough for a LEO should be good for you. Always be prepared

I also CC a 92 FS..... so... ya know... I'm a big guy

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
One in the gun, one somewhere on my person. I always have an additional one or two in the vehicle, depending on the capacity.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 867 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Its about spare mags, not ammo, however, I used to carry whatever it took to balance the gun. (I broke my spine in a few spots, and I'm very sensitive to imbalance.)

It usually took 3 mags to balance a Glock, in a shoulder rig.

Sometimes, it's easier to just carry 2 identical guns.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually carry one extra magazine in a Remora in my pants pocket. This, no matter whether I carry an 8rounder or a 15 rounder..it just doesn’t make sense to me to carry more. It also depends on where I am going and with whom, whether I carry 2 mags, just the one extra or no extra at all.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Always two spares, as a hedge against ammo or magazine failure. An old habit from my active LE days. I dress around the gun. I will probably never need those spare magazines, but then I will probably never need the gun, either.

There are only two situations where you can have too much ammo:

1. When on fire

2. When swimming

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a LEO, I can see carrying a lot of rounds, backup guns, etc. I see a lot of folks carrying about 50 rounds. If I lived in Chirac, maybe. I have adjusted my lifestyle to minimize my threat level. In the event of a mass shooting or terror attack, a VERY large number of my neighbors are armed and carry daily. I'd likely be 3rd or 4th in line to respond.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've lived in "Chirac" as you call it for almost 60 years. Never needed my gun once off duty.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I always carry one reload, a speed strip or speed loader when armed with a revolver, one extra mag when carrying a pistol.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't usually carry a spare.

I certainly don't knock anyone that does, but I did a risk assessment. My determination was that although the chance of a deadly encounter was very slim, the cost of one occurring was very high. Carrying a pistol was a very cheap way of mitigating that risk, even though there's no guarantee that carrying a pistol would allow me to resolve the situation satisfactorily. Then I evaluated the risk of a magazine related failure. When coupled with the minute chance of a deadly encounter, the likelihood of having a pistol successfully resolving the issue, the risk became infinitesimally small. Not only is it really unlikely for my mag to cause a failure, it's also no guarantee that having a spare would give me a chance. So it's like a 50/50 of a one in a million of a 50/50 of another one in a million.

That and I've never found a convenient and comfortable method to carry spares. The IWB from Comp-Tac dug into me and the OWB I've used are all bulky and obnoxious.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
2 for me, spare for mechanical failure.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After reviewing the posts which I appreciate very much, my view is still: While probably never needing extra magazines, I would rather have them and not need them than not have them and need them (mags). Our society seems to be fracturing and in case of a major disaster, power outage, social unrest, 2 extra magazines will become barely adequate. Carrying extra magazines is like having all the insurance that I carry. I hope never to need the insurance, but I cannot afford to be without the coverage.

If you do not have a firearm/magazines on you when you need it; you may never need it again. IMHO.

Thanks for all the posts and keep them coming! Smile

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
mags ? its not the mags, its the number of rounds.

30 minimum

So, you shove your sole 33 rnd. Glock mag into your pistola and the mag goes kaput...then what?

Round Count is a consideration, but so are the number of functional mags available should you really need them.

you can have 12 mags if you want ,
no one cares,
as long as you can provide at least 30 rounds to your aggressor

2, 3, 5 , you pick the number of mags in what ever caliber

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
One in the gun, two on the belt.

Posts: 1694 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least one spare mag. I’m more concerned about a mag failing than not having enough rounds. YMMV

Posts: 133 | Location: Westfield, IN | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
One on the belt for dbl stack, G19,32.
Two for single stack, PM9, XDS-9, P239.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
30 minimum
OK bendable make some rational argument about that. really. its silly.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two; one for malfunctions, one spare. It depends on the occasion however. And the pistol.

A revolver; a couple of speed strips.

A subcompact like the G43; a couple of spare mags.

G32; one or two spare mags. Sometimes just a spare G31 mag.

Full size like a G31...one or two spare mags; often one for the weight and comfort. If a fight goes on longer than that first spare mag, I probably won't be around to use a second, anyway.

I'm going to carry all that crap a whole lot more than it's ever going to get used, and I have a bad back. And knees. And just about everything else, so less is less, but more is a chore, if you see my point.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post