SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How Many Magazines Are Recommended for CC?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Many Magazines Are Recommended for CC? Login/Join 
posted
How many magazines do you believe are needed for CC? I always carry 2 additonal 15 round mags. While as a law abiding civilian, if needing to use my firearm 15 rounds are sufficient, there are situations where extra magazines are needed. For example, civil disturbances, riots, looters, gang attack, and especially Zombie Apocalypse and Alien Invasion.

Question:
How Many Magazines Are Needed for CC?

Choices:
As Many As One Can Carry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I voted 2 as a minimum. One in the gun, and one spare in case the first one craps the bed. With a 229, I'm using a 15-rd in the gun and an 18-rd as the spare. I'll probably switch to a 365 soon, so a 10-rd in the gun and maybe 2 spare 12-rd at that point to keep overall capacity close.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With 15 rounds, I'd be comfortable with just the 1 in the gun on my person. 2 other loaded mags in my vehicle would be good. I'd feel comfortable with that scenario, although 3 in the vehicle wouldn't hurt. With a pocket pistol that held less than 10 rounds, I'd want an additional mag on my person at all times.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
For my primary carry gun, normally two additional magazines and one additional magazine for the BUG, all carried on my person.

It's not just about having more rounds available, ( though that's always a good thing, ) but as JAFO mentioned, having at least another magazine in case the one in the pistol decides to take a dump on you at a really bad time.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
If you count reloads, my answer is 1
If you count total, including the one in the gun, then it's two.
Like the other said, it's not so much about the spare ammo as it is possible mag failure.

I always carry a reload when carrying my semis, or a speed strip if I have the J-frame. To the point I almost feel weird *not* having a reload on me nowadays.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one in the gun is all that should be needed for any reasonable CC event. That said, I recommend a spare mostly in case of Murphy striking, not for capacity.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
For my wife and I, two. One in the gun and one spare. Doesn't matter if its a single stack or double stack.

When I carry my snubby, I always carry a speed strip with 5 rounds, and if wearing a jacket with pockets a speed loader with 5 rounds (in addition to the speed strip),

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I only carry one mag in the gun. I carry for how I dress I don’t dress for how I carry. 3•3•3...if I can’t get it done with 10-15 rounds then that’s on me. I don’t find it comfortable to walk around like I’m batman with a bunch of shit hanging off my waist.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I carry whatever the gun holds. Like dusty I carry for how I dress. When the weather dips and I can dress around it by throwing on a jacket, I'll carry an extra mag or a full sized gun. I have extra mags in the center console of my truck.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I voted one magazine for just the one in the gun

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
I answered "As many as I can carry". All my shoulder holsters have a 2 mag pouch opposite the holster. That make 3 including the one in my P220/1911. I've been known to stick an extra mag in one of my pockets on top of that,

Our range instructor in the Army told us "The worst sound in a gunfight is "click"...

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
1 in, 1 backup, always. When I carry a cylinder, two speed loaders. 18 rounds minimal with wheel, 21 with semi-auto. Edc is 31 rounds and that’s with a subcompact.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I still carry two reloads, weakside. Maybe old habit, but I think it balances the weight on the hips better.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Loaded weapon and one reload (minimum).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always carried two spare mags, regardless of capacity.

Rationale (for civilians):

1) Fight likely to end with the first mag in the gun. Maybe...

2) Pistol could malfunction during first mag, need second mag to stay in the fight. I'm in the drop mag/clear gun camp regarding malfunction clearances.

3) If fight over with first mag, you want to immediately reload while assessing the situation and/or waiting for LEO's to arrive. Perp may have some angry relatives or friends in the area.

4) Third mag is more of an insurance policy. Just in case. Also provides more firepower if the encounter was with multiple assailants.

5) Especially with my G19 or G34, just makes me happy carrying 52 rounds. Smile

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rockyriver
posted Hide Post
Only the one in the gun.
My goal is to shoot and retreat if I can.
I'm not getting into a shoot out and being dragged through the coals by some DA if for some reason he thinks that I'm a vigilante or something along those lines.
My gun keeps the bad guy from attacking me as I try and put as much distance between him and me.
People have this TV show mentality that your going to be pinned down by gun fire and your blazing bullets in all directions towards the bad guy or guys.
Needing multiple mags of ammo.
When in reality only one or two shots are usually fired in these bad guy vs good guy scenarios like a civilian like myself may encounter.

Posts: 38 | Registered: January 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
If you count reloads, my answer is 1
If you count total, including the one in the gun, then it's two.

I voted one because I interpreted the question to refer to extra magazines beyond what’s (obviously) in the gun. Yes, I know: a little careless with my reading.

Not that it matters in the slightest to what others may choose, but my rationale isn’t the straw man of needing to lay down suppressive fire or fight off mythical hordes. Things can happen with magazines, not least discovering that somehow the mag catch got pressed and now I have a single shot pistol unless I have a spare. If we’re going to limit our options by what is likely to happen, we might as well avoid the trouble and effort of carrying a gun at all.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I only carry one mag in the gun. I carry for how I dress I don’t dress for how I carry. 3•3•3...if I can’t get it done with 10-15 rounds then that’s on me. I don’t find it comfortable to walk around like I’m batman with a bunch of shit hanging off my waist.

I concur.
I already carry too much crap every day and I always say that that getting 30 minutes of cardio in a day will keep you safer than a pistol in the long run.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
One in the gun, and a spare unless my attire isn't conducive to more crap on my belt/in my pocket. Anything more is not necessary.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
1 mag in the gun, 1 spare in my pocket. That’s the minimum for me.

When I visit a shithole like Philly though, I add another magazine AND a backup gun

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post