SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How Many Magazines Are Recommended for CC?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Many Magazines Are Recommended for CC? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My main carry gun is a 40 caliber, the mag holds 9 rounds and I carry one spare 14 round mag. My 9mm carry gun mag holds 7 rounds and I carry 2 spare mags with it. I also have several extra mags for each gun in my car gun safe.

Posts: 55 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer a second pistol and will opt for that over a spare mag when concealment is the first priority.

My rationale is that it gives me more versatility. I can arm a second law abiding citizen in the event of a mass shooting (most of friends/family don't edc).

I'd also rather go to a completely fresh slate than diagnosis a semi auto in a worst case scenario. My experience has shown that if a proven reliable ( over 500 rounds fired) semi auto suddenly goes down, I usually need new springs, not more ammo.

All that said, I will carry a spare magazine when concealment concerns are more relaxed because, well why not?

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
My preference is 1 in the gun and 2 in a holder, but then I carry 1911s a lot.

Of course there’s always the Jerry Miculek version:

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two reloads. Not because I anticipate needing 46 rounds of ammo, but because most malfunctions are related to magazines, or ammunition, and if I have to strip a full or partially full magazine due to a stoppage, I'm gonna need some help playing catchup.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One in the gun and one spare,then I have 3 in the car in a three mag pouch.All five get rotated every September that ammo becomes range ammo and fresh ammo goes into the spare mags.

Posts: 633 | Location: PHILADELPHIA,PA,USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One in the pistol and one on the belt. If I cant resolve the situation with that load, its "feet, don fail me now" !
When out and about with my GP 100, I pack one speedloader and an MTM Ammo Wallet in my back pocket.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I carry a G19 with a flush fit 15 in the gun and a 15 round mag with the Glock +2 extension on it. Less for the extra two rounds and more because the corner of the flush fitting mag base digs into my side sometimes.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
One in the gun and one spare. I read the poll as haw many spare mags should be carried, so I voted one.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no answer to this question. Really. If you need a mag and you don't have it then you are F****. But almost every study I have seen about cc use has the answer being less than one mag. So since I know one is none, and two is one I carry one.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10970 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry 1. In the woods I carry zero extras, in the woods I won’t uave time to reload. In the city though, 1.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I recommend 2.
1 in the gun and another in a pocket or near my belt line.
The second magazine is more for a semi auto malfunction than needing more ammo in a gun fight.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always ran 1 in the gun and two mags spare.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I've done a single spare every so often; sometimes a 15rd G22 mag but mostly just another G23 mag. No extension base plates for me, not after I had a blowout with one at the range.

Mostly however I carry only the gun with no spare mag or mag holster. It's just too much add-on shit to be carrying around; another sign that I'm getting old and ornery, I think.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
One is none, two is better, three is best.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I carry my 239 I carry one extra mag. If I carry my 226 I do not carry any extra mags. 19 rounds will do the job if I do mine.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I voted 2 spares, but usually only leave the house with one spare mag in a clip-on holder on me.

Realistically though, if the 15-17 round mag in the gun, plus one spare isn't enough ammo to get me out of whatever trouble I'm in, then another mag probably won't make much difference. I need close air support.

I've been in a few firefights back in the late 60s & I don't recall ever wishing I was carrying LESS ammo. But now that I'm 70 years old, it seems like too much of a pain in the butt to un-do my belt to add a mag holder. Smile

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I carry 2 spare mags for whatever I’m carrying, except when it’s my XD-S 9, then it’s three (all 8-rounders). I don’t mind carrying the extra crap on my belt. I also carry a couple knives and a few flashlights, so what’s a couple magazines? Eek

On the very rare occasion that I carry my Taurus 85, I’ll carry a Bianchi SpeedStrip, but normally when I carry the 85 it’s as a BUG in an ankle holster.

Normally when I carry, I carry one of the following: M11-A1, CZ-75B Omega Convertible, P229/.40, or Glock 19 or 23, each with two spare mags (or the aforementioned XD-S/9 with 3 mags).

Overkill? Perhaps, but I believe that old truism “better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it”...

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
For my personal situation I CCW with whatever is in my pistol, either my Walther PPS or Glock 19.

There are no right or wrong answers in such a situation, just what the particular individual is comfortable with.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I tend to carry three, one in the gun and two spares, although that is not an absolute. Sometimes it's just what is in the gun, depending on what I am wearing.

As for ownership, I like to have at least 8 "full capacity" magazines for my carry guns. Having lived through magazine bans, I want to have enough that I will be grandfathered with enough supply to get me to my eternal rest.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mags ? its not the mags, its the number of rounds.

30 minimum

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post