SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P 210 problem?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P 210 problem? Login/Join 
posted
I have a P210 and shortly after I got it the captured recoil spring came apart, I called Sig CS and they promptly sent me a new one, gun is fine now.
However a friend of mine called me yesterday and told me his P210 captured recoil rod also came apart, which I told him to call Sig and they would take care of him.
Now the question, is this problem the weak link in the P210, and more importantly will this problem happen again?
Has anyone else experienced this?

Posts: 210 | Location: United States | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
what exactly is the "problem". did something break off? if so, what did break and where. in order to make it a problem such information is needed. Thanks for helping us with with further information.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The P938 recoil spring guide rod is a two-piece part, screwed together. They tended to come unscrewed on early models (I think that’s fixed now).

Is the P210 recoil spring guide rod also a two-piece part? Otherwise, I don’t see how it could “come apart”.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The end cap of the captured recoil rod broke off.
And No, the recoil rod is not a 2-piece rod.

Posts: 210 | Location: United States | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The guiderod assembly does not break on my P210A Standard, and I shoot it quite a bit, matches and what not. But I bought a spare one from Sig and keep it just in case. Anyway, these parts look well made and very durable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hessy2000,

Posts: 287 | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Which version of P210? There are three, P210 Swiss, P210 Legend, and P210A.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GaryBF,

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hopefully not a thread drift, but if it was a Swiss 210, will the new recoil spring assembly from the 210A work in the older Swiss model?

Posts: 177 | Registered: May 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Wow. My Neuhausen produced recoil spring on my -2 gun (the 9mm one) is only approaching 50 years old now and still ticking away. Guess its about to break any day now? And enough of this crap about the American or German one is just as good. Guess our waiting for such a failure is over. Now we know.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I've seen reports of the end of the 210A guide rod breaking off. My 210A has about a thousand rounds through it now, and so far,so good. I have to admit though, if it breaks off the next time I shoot it, I would no longer be surprised.

BTW Bonanacroin, No the 210A guide rod assy. will not fit the Swiss or German 210s.

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've also heard of a number of people having problems with the end of the guide rod shearing off, especially on the P210 Target model, but I think on the Standard as well. I haven't had any problems with my Target model yet, and I absolutely love the gun. So I figured that I'd order a spring assembly upgrade as both a preventative measure, and to help make an already great shooter, even more pleasurable to shoot.

I ordered this from Zahal.org (I have absolutely no affiliation with this company), and I received it in the mail yesterday. It took 12 days to arrive from Greece (from the date I placed the order), which I thought was quite reasonable considering it's the Xmas holiday season. I haven't had a chance to install or try it out yet, but I've heard some great things about this "recoil reduction system".

Here's a link to the spring for the Target model, and please note that they have a few other versions for some of the other 210 models as well: https://zahal.org/product/sig-...-rod-by-dpm-systems/

Note that you can currently get 19% off plus free shipping, if you use the coupon code FINAL19, but I believe that is only valid thru January 2nd.

And here's what I received:

Frank

Posts: 42 | Location: MA | Registered: July 04, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
^^^^ I have the DPM recoil spring system in my Steyr M9-A1 and it runs flawlessly. It's a bit more difficult in the take-down department but I wanted to see if I could reduce the already-low recoil impulse in my Steyr.
Apology for the thread draft, now back to your regular program...

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pinefd:
I've also heard of a number of people having problems with the end of the guide rod shearing off, especially on the P210 Target model, but I think on the Standard as well.

Frank

Pinefd, I thought I had been the only one with a P210A Standard in MA, and my pistol has been totally fine. Smile For the amount of money you paid for the DPM Systems Recoil Reduction Spring Rod you can buy 3 brand-new recoil spring assemblies from Sig. And, if it really breaks on you (which I doubt), you get a replacement from Sig warranty for free. Big Grin
It is your money, of course.

Posts: 287 | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing the Sig part is a MIM part and the mold or process isn't exactly perfect.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I had also read that the recoil spring works fine without the part that broke off with just the spring end inserted into the slide end just like a SIG P226, etc. At least the P210A is not useless if that part breaks off and a replacement can not be had right away.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While that may be true, Sig CS told me specifically do NOT use that as it is, we will send you a new one.
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
FWIW, I had also read that the recoil spring works fine without the part that broke off with just the spring end inserted into the slide end just like a SIG P226, etc. At least the P210A is not useless if that part breaks off and a replacement can not be had right away.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I'm guessing the Sig part is a MIM part and the mold or process isn't exactly perfect.
Yes, it probably is, and maybe that's why it snapped off.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hessy2000:
quote:
Originally posted by pinefd:
I've also heard of a number of people having problems with the end of the guide rod shearing off, especially on the P210 Target model, but I think on the Standard as well.
Why would you say "which I doubt" when that's exactly what happened to me and a friend of mine.
Frank

Pinefd, I thought I had been the only one with a P210A Standard in MA, and my pistol has been totally fine. Smile For the amount of money you paid for the DPM Systems Recoil Reduction Spring Rod you can buy 3 brand-new recoil spring assemblies from Sig. And, if it really breaks on you (which I doubt), you get a replacement from Sig warranty for free. Big Grin
It is your money, of course.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
^^^^ I have the DPM recoil spring system in my Steyr M9-A1 and it runs flawlessly.

Did you find it appreciably reduced felt recoil?

quote:
Originally posted by hessy2000:
For the amount of money you paid for the DPM Systems Recoil Reduction Spring Rod you can buy 3 brand-new recoil spring assemblies from Sig.

Ah, but having a recoil spring assy break on you at an inopportune time would suck and, unless you have a spare on-hand, then you have to wait for the replacement. Plus, if the DPM Systems RRSR really does reduce felt recoil...

The pistol runs around $1500, street price. Even at full price, the $125 is a small (8%) investment. I'm thinking about it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Everyone,

I’m on my fourth Gide rod assembly !! The last rod lasted 150 rds. I found the PMS system and ordered it. Should have checked here first. I’ll let you know how it works. I got the last one from Sig several months ago and just used the gun before the holiday. If it was a new type it’s not the fix! Frank

Posts: 9 | Registered: June 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefin102:
Hi Everyone,

I’m on my fourth Gide rod assembly !! The last rod lasted 150 rds. I found the PMS system and ordered it. Should have checked here first. I’ll let you know how it works. I got the last one from Sig several months ago and just used the gun before the holiday. If it was a new type it’s not the fix! Frank

Yes, please let us know how it works! And what exactly did you order and from whom?