SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Advice on cutting down a P250 frame
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on cutting down a P250 frame Login/Join 
Picture of JGIORD
posted
I like the size of the P250SC but prefer the grip length of the compact.

If I were to attempt to cut down the frame of the compact to the length of the SC slide what tools would be best for cutting the polymer?

Would a circular saw work ok and then file the edges down a bit?

Has anyone done this already? Any pics?

Thanks

Posts: 461 | Location: AZ | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
I’ve chopped the grip of a few frames using a Dremel cutoff wheel. Slower than normal speed so the plastic cuts rather than melts took some practice. Just plan your cuts to leave room for sanding for final length/shape. Some painters tape as a guide was helpful too.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JGIORD
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Posts: 461 | Location: AZ | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I shortend a P320 compact frame to fit my subcompact slide by using a fine tooth hobby saw (Zona). If the P250 frame is similar, you will get a larger gap at the muzzle end, however, the only person to see it is the bad guy. It worked but never looked unmodified (frames don't cost much).

Modified Compact2 by GaryBF, on Flickr

Modified Compact by GaryBF, on Flickr

Muzzle gap by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A coping saw with a fine tooth blade will also work. Clamp the frame in some sort of vise, if you have one.

Cut the frame very slightly longer than you want the final result. You can use sandpaper to bevel and smooth the edges.

If you follow up with some very fine wet-or-dry sandpaper, you can get a very smooth result.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used a band saw. made easy work of the cut

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy a P250 380. The 380 came in 2 versions, 1 with a subcompact frame & 1 with a factory cut down frame to fit the subcompact slide. You get a frame & a 380 to play with.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
I shortend a P320 compact frame to fit my subcompact slide by using a fine tooth hobby saw (Zona). If the P250 frame is similar, you will get a larger gap at the muzzle end, however, the only person to see it is the bad guy. It worked but never looked unmodified (frames don't cost much).

The muzzle end of your modified P250 frame is substantially the same as a factory-modified 380 Compact frame. The biggest surprise to me was that the gap between the modified frame and slide is not tremendously larger than the gap between an unmodified frame and slide.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JGIORD
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics Gary. That is good to know.

posted Hide Post
Might be off-topic a bit, but you can get close to the same result using Compact magazines with X-grip extenders in your Subcompact.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used a cutoff wheel on a dremel. Then sanded with scotch brite pad. Cut long and sand to proper length would be my only advice. Don't overthink the cutting part, its plastic.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JGIORD
posted Hide Post
Thanks Toivo!

OK, also chopped down the compact frame. Not quite as nice as Gary’s but it will get the job done.

Thanks guys!