SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Changed mainspring housing on my SIG 1911
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Changed mainspring housing on my SIG 1911 Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
I have an earlier SIG 1911 in serial number range 16xxx that I bought new. I loved everything about it other than the way it pinched my hand at the bottom of the grip when shooting and I found myself not shooting it much. I had a chance to shoot my BIL's Springfield Armory 1911 and just loved the way it felt in my hand and how well I shot it and noticed it had the arched mainspring housing on it.

So I ordered an Ed Brown 817-ARCH arched MSH for my SIG 1911 from Brownells and just installed it which fit perfectly and wow does it feel great gripping it now. I don't understand why SIG put the stupid lanyard MSH on it originally. Can't wait to try it out at the range hopefully soon and yes I do have a stash of .45 range ammo already.

Here are some pics and the last pic is of the original MSH.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that lanyard loop is unnecessary.

Personally, I cannot stand arched mainsprings, and have immediately swapped them out on any 1911 I've owned with it. But this highlights what's so great aspects of the 1911's customizability... We can both end up with guns with which we're happy, with minimal effort.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yeah, that lanyard loop is unnecessary.

Personally, I cannot stand arched mainsprings, and have immediately swapped them out on any 1911 I've owned with it. But this highlights what's so great aspects of the 1911's customizability... We can both end up with guns with which we're happy, with minimal effort.

Yep! Smile

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, nice work. I did the same for my Sig 1911 RCS, to allow use of standard Officer's Model grip panels. As issued, the gun had a flared mag well, with the grips forming part of the flare, and the mainspring housing was extended to take care of the rear portion. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 727 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
I had a chance to shoot my BIL's Springfield Armory 1911 and just loved the way it felt in my hand and how well I shot it and noticed it had the arched mainspring housing on it.

One of the nice and easy customizable things about a 1911. Personally, I always used the flat mainspring housing (no loop), because my hands are smaller. The flat one puts my finger right where it needs to be on the trigger.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
All the 1911's I've owned, with flat MSH pointed low. Easy to change.

I prefer the arched MSH.

I liked that lanyard loop

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I am pleased with results dry firing so far and I ordered a Pink Rhino 45 laser training cartridge to make dry fire more fun and effective as I discovered using such for my 9MM pistols.

I have large back straps on all my poly pistols, including my HKP30L and VP9, that have changeable backstraps as I have larger hands.

I should be getting to the range in a few weeks to see how that works but I am expecting good things. I shot my SIG 1911 pretty well with the old backstrap but it annoyingly pinched my palm and this arched MSH feels much more to my liking. Ready to fall in love with my 1911 all over again and it has never ever had any time of malfunction. luckily I still have a couple cases of ammo in the stash.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Smile To be honest I did not know I could change out the MSH and this is my only 1911. I found out doing research after loving shooting my BILs Springfield Armory 1911 and noticed the difference in grip.

Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I'm the exact opposite of Rogue JSK. HATE a flat MSH. I change all mine to arched. It's nice that we can have it either way easily.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I like and have both. Choices are great.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice, I happen to like the arched mainspring housing and feel it fits my hand better and gun points naturally better. Not sure why everyone went away from them, maybe to accomodate people with smaller hands?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Oh Joy! Smile

Made it to the range today and loved shooting my SIG 1911 with the new arched mainspring housing. Results exceeded by expectations so money well spent.

8 rounds at 21 feet.

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Nice work and shooting!

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P6shooter
posted Hide Post
I put the lanyard loop housing on all of my 1911's. To each his own. They're made by Fusion Firearms. I love them.

Posts: 820 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I’ve known very few 1911 enthusiasts who favor AMSH’s.. I don’t care for them myself either..

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
I’ve known very few 1911 enthusiasts who favor AMSH’s.. I don’t care for them myself either..

The 1911 was origionally designed with a flat main spring housing. Later, the Army was the one who instituted the arched mainspring housings, to fix the issue of the gun pointing low for many of our troops. Then, all of them were made with arched mainspring housings pretty much up until around year 2000, and then everyone started switching back to flat mainspring housings. I don't mind either and shoot well with both, but the 1911 does point slightly better with an Arched mainspring housing for me. I think most newer 1911 owners don't even know about the arched mainspring housing.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P6shooter:
I put the lanyard loop housing on all of my 1911's. To each his own. They're made by Fusion Firearms. I love them.

Glad it works for you. Smile I would never have changed mine if it did not pinch my hand when shooting and had tried my BILs SA 1911 that has the arched MSM.

Picture of P6shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:
Originally posted by P6shooter:

Glad it works for you. Smile I would never have changed mine if it did not pinch my hand when shooting and had tried my BILs SA 1911 that has the arched MSM.

The last one I bought was sharp as a knife around the edges where the lanyard pin is. That took some serious filing and sanding to make it comfortable. Usually they are nicely deburred, It looks like yours is pretty sharp too. Thankfully mine, like yours, is stainless steel and required no refinishing.

Posts: 820 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
While not the original intent of its designer, the 1911 is the original modular handgun.

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I've always preferred the arched MSH over flat, and always change them out.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post