SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is changing back and forth from iron sights to red dot on a pistol a problem?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is changing back and forth from iron sights to red dot on a pistol a problem? Login/Join 
Fire for effect
posted
For example, Sig P320 iron sights and P320 RX with the red dot. Once I've learned to shoot the red dot well, can I change back and forth from iron and red dot without issues? What are the challenges?

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not had a issue, but i also take time each range session and run just irons for a bit.

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Of course you can switch. The red dot will probably be easier to use, but of course you can switch. A little re-familiarization time might be helpful.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I've only fired red-dot pistols a few times, but from what I've seen running shooters in competition, when using a dot the first few times after years of iron sights, people bring the gun up to where they would with irons and can't find the dot right away. I agree with sufficient draw practice/dry-firing, you should be able to switch.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm...I would think putting suppressor height sights on the non-RDS gun would make the transition easier (or a non-issue?) since how high the gun is presented at extension to acquire the sight picture is what varies between the systems.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
#1 key that helped me is target focus, and dry fire practice. Once you commit to target focus, and that you get enough reps in that you present the gun the same way each time you trust it and the dot shows up everytime.

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arty:
Once I've learned to shoot the red dot well, can I change back and forth from iron and red dot without issues?

If would depend on your usage. For casual plinking, you might not experience and issues. For something more serious, that might not be the case.

quote:
What are the challenges?

There are two main issues that people run into.
1. Presentation. To use the different sighting systems, you need to bring the gun up to differing heights in relation to your line of sight to align the sights. Using suppressor sights do off set this a bit.

2. Sight alignment. As previously posted, to use the RD efficiently you need to focus on the target and basically bring the dot up between the two. With iron sights, you need to focus on the sight alignment. How easily you can switch between the two dynamically opposed systems will determine how much of a challenge it is for you

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
For me, it depends on how low the dot is. If it is mounted low and the dot is where the sights usually are, it is not a problem at all. If the dot is higher on a dove tail mount or on a true open gun, it is a bit more problematic because the gun has to be in a different spot than with irons to pick up the dot. I just sent off a slide to be milled because I didn't like the height of the mounting apparatus I had on the gun.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
I zeroed for 10 yards, and my dot is low, actually on the front sight when it's aligned with the rear.

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dot is set up for where the sights are anyways so for me it isn't very different. Milling a sight in front of the dot or no sights may change that when transitioning.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing everyone is a little different and your gun setups might matter. I've shot irons my whole life and red dot's on pistol's only comparatively recently. I have a one way transition issue. If I have been shooting the red dot guns continuously picking up an iron gun causes no issues. If I have been shooting irons a lot picking up a red dot generally results in a small amount of ?where is the dot? on that first presentation. after that it goes away. Its all in muscle memory and at this point I've tens of thousands of red dot rounds but my brain can't seem to get it right after using the irons. The dot is so much better for almost everything I've tried.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I train on both the 320C and RX and I have no issues shooting both back to back. The red dot is mounted so low that it is not that much of a difference.

I usually shoot 20-30 through one and pick up the other and do the same.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
. . .
2. Sight alignment. As previously posted, to use the RD efficiently you need to focus on the target and basically bring the dot up between the two. With iron sights, you need to focus on the sight alignment. How easily you can switch between the two dynamically opposed systems will determine how much of a challenge it is for you

This is what I am most concerned with. A very knowledgeable friend told me this could be a big problem.

posted Hide Post
I have 3 revolvers with reflex sights mounted on them and they don't get used very much. Because I found it much too easy to become dependent on them. Truth is that shooting with iron sights is a skill that requires regular practice and if you are shooting with a red dot you aren't shooting with iron sights.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post