SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thinking of Replacing my P938
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of Replacing my P938 Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
The size and weight of the P938 have always been its best selling features to me. However, I continue to read of many problems owners of this little, pocketable 9mm have. I've had my share, and even now, am a little disconcerted when I eject a loaded magazine and have a round drop out on me...

I believe one should have 100% confidence in the gun they carry. When it comes to saving the life of someone you care about, including yourself, it's not good to wonder if the gun will perform when it's pulled.

So I was reading about the new Springfield Armory XD-e .45 ACP. I own an XD-s .45, and it's nearly as portable as the P938. The difference, as far as I can tell, is the XD-s is striker-fired, and the XD-e has an external hammer (hence the "e").

When I bought my XD-s, I wanted the .45 caliber to add to my arsenal, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't get an XD-e in either caliber and replace my SIG with it. Anyone got experience doing so?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glock Stock & Barrel
Picture of gtmtnbiker98
posted Hide Post
When it comes to single stack 9mm pistols, I prefer the Walther PPS.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4436 | Location: Southcentral Ohio | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your woes with the SIG. Repeated instances reported here on the forum and elsewhere stopped me cold when I was thinking about adding a bigger sibling to my 238.

Keep in mind that the XD-E is a notably larger design than the 938. It's closer to a P239 or P225-A1 in profile. If that doesn't distress you then it's one to consider.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I concur with soggy...the biggest issue you are going to find quickly is the size of the xd-e doesn't lend itself to pocket carry

When I pocket carry it's a glock 43 and that's about the edge of what I can do, and I'm a big guy with big pockets. By comparison, I can't really comfortably pocket carry my wife's shield which is just a little bigger

I do agree with you...100% confidence in a carry gun is what I too strive for, and I am always teating it. For me, the list is pretty short...glocks 17, 19 and 43

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I've been lucky but my P 938 has been flawless same with my P 238. They haven't had thousands of rounds through either of them but enough I'm comfortable with. It's basically a miniature copy of the 1911 which has a proven track record of 106 yrs. I've had / have enough guns of all different flavors to know that sooner or later you will get one with problems.
I wish you luck with whatever you decide on. I'll stick with my little Sig companions. Hopefully I'll never need them but they go everywhere just in case.
When I drop the mag it falls freely and there is no loose round. I manually rack the slide and the chambered round comes out like it should. Something doesn't sound right I agree with yours.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go with a Glock 43 and never look back. I pocket carry mine in a Carhardt jacket, a little heavy but easy.
I also have a FIST kydex holster and the thing disappears inside my waist band. I have somewhere in the thousands of rounds thru mine and its 100% flawless and way more accurate than a little gun should be. I also switched my carry round to the Sig 115 grain ammo.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’m on my second P938, no problems with either.

Is it the gun or any chance you have a mag with an issue? I have 6 and 7 round mags, never had any problem with either.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand where you are coming from. Mine had a bad striker (out of spec). It has a MSH which is not good for the long haul.

A 9 mm Shield is my current carry when I don't carry a Sig 320c voluntarily upgraded.

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I guess I am another lucky P938 owner. Have had mine areound 5 yrs. and have had no problems.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should have mentioned it but it never came to mind until 911Boss mentioned it. Are you sure it's not a magazine issue.
I had a similar thing in fact almost identical to what you are describing w/a Ruger SR1911 9MM. Ruger replaced the mags twice. Still problems so the wanted the gun back and it was returned again with yet 2 different magazines. I bought a couple Wilson mags. It's been months ago and I still haven't gotten it back out to fire it. Of course Ruger thinks it's fine now.

Before you give up on the P 938 get yourself or barrow a couple of different mags. Buying a couple mags would be less expensive then replacing the whole gun but I know how that works also. Nothing better then getting a new noise making apparatus.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Hmm. I have found that I often think the grass is greener on the other side...but generally it is not.

I don't have my 938 anymore, but not because other people were having problems and not because the top round of the full mag slips out upon ejection. I was not comfortable with the two piece guide rod (mine worked its way loose and went shooting down the lane one day at the range.)

If I can get comfortable with the guide rod issue down the road, I'll try it again as it's a good little shooter. However, it will have to be 938HD for me!

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gtmtnbiker98:
My XD-S .45 and my PPS M2 9mm are keepers. The XD-E felt odd to me.

JMag
"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." ? Winston Churchill

Posts: 798 | Location: Southeastern U.S. | Registered: March 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I echo the thoughts of others about the 9mm PPS-M2. Practice rounds are from my reject box where rounds that do not pass headspace gauge go. In all of the considerable number of rounds fired, I have yet to experience a failure of any kind. That said, the short barrel and sight radius (just a bit longer than that of 938) do not help accuracy - which is fine at 10 yards for its purpose.
However, the PPS-M2 needs to be at least dry fired a bunch to have a smooth trigger and it is on the heavy/large side for pocket carry. In a belt holster, one hardly knows it is present.
As a pocket pistol, I recommend Glock 42 with modern ammo and the Ruger LC9s Pro in 9mm.

My experience is that the XD s (and thus probably the E) have to be extensively worked on - and the task is neither easy nor fun. The XD-E seems to be a solution looking for a problem.

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gtmtnbiker98:

I agree, M1 Classic flavor. The 938 is smaller, but the flatness of the PPS is a big concealment factor, and the fact it shoots like a much larger pistol is a bonus too.I have 2, a 9mm and a 40.

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I replaced my 938 with a Ruger LC9's Pro. The Sig shot well and was reliable, but I wanted to go back to a thin striker fired gun. The Ruger is thin, reliable, accurate and has a GREAT trigger. I added a good set of night sights and it made the gun even better for me. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford high quality pricey guns, but this little inexpensive yet still quality gun rides on my hip every day.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Another member right here that feels your pain. I too have had issues with the 938 and found it unreliable. I cannot speak to about the XDE but I can share some info on small pistols in 9mm as I've had several.

My current small pistol of choice is the Kahr MK9 and Kahr PM9 (I have both). They have been 100% reliable for me (both bought used so I didn't have to break them in). The MK9 is heavy but shoots like a dream for a little pistol. The PM9 is much lighter but I don't shoot it as well as I do the MK9.

I've had many other small 9mm's. They have been:

Glock 43
S&W Shield (2 different 9mm versions)
Beretta Nano
Springfield XDS

None of them shot as well as my Kahrs. Now I did just pick up a 99% condition Walther PPS M2 yesterday for cheap ($250 OTD) so I'm going to give that a whirl since they are so highly praised.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Replaced mine with a Kahr as well.

Posts: 26903 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a Kahr
CM9.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Replaced my 938 with a Kimber micro 9 and never looked back.

Posts: 1616 | Location: Simpsonville SC | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 1500+ rounds through my P938 and have experienced each of the common failure modes except the mag coming unseated (probably due to half of my ring finger hanging over the bottom of the mag). The two piece guide Rod has biten me twice on the range. Once with over 200 rounds fired and the second time with 55 fired. I recently thoroughly cleaned and reapplied Red Lost its. 75 rounds down range during the last session with no issues. I figure if the gun is 100% reliable for the first 50 rounds post cleaning & inspection, it will be 100% reliable for two mags in a self-defense situation.

I have tried most of the common subcompact 9 mm on the market , except the XDe, which is on my list, and nothing works as well for me. Note: My fingers are too big for the Kahr pistols. I cannot physically get to the trigger break point. I always wanted to try a Rohrbaugh and Boberg, but have never spent the money to buy one. A little hard to justify that kind of $$ when the P938 is as or more reliable than either of those pistols.

I still wish Sig would make a DA/SA in a P938 size pistol. That would be my perfect pocket pistol.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post