SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P210 accuracy advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P210 accuracy advice Login/Join 
posted
I had decided on purchasing a locally made Sig 210 Target. One of the shooter at the range advised me that I should get a Swiss/German made model rather than the locally made version, given the imports are more accurate.

I don't really know the guy, so I don't know if he is blowing smoke or not.

I'm on board with paying more $$ for a more accurate pistol, and I understand accuracy comes at a steep price. I'm however not on board paying more just to have an import.

Are the foreign 210s more accurate than the local ones, and if so, is there a particular model I should look at?

My shooting is moderately paced, target shooting.

Thanks

Posts: 4 | Registered: October 08, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Apuesto:
I had decided on purchasing a locally made Sig 210 Target. One of the shooter at the range advised me that I should get a Swiss/German made model rather than the locally made version, given the imports are more accurate.

Whenever someone claims something is better than something else, you should ask them if that was their personal experience, or if they were just talking out of their ass. Too many bullshit artists floating around, especially these days with the instant available info online that they just read then parrot back without personal experience whatsoever..

quote:
I'm on board with paying more $$ for a more accurate pistol, and I understand accuracy comes at a steep price. I'm however not on board paying more just to have an import.

Are the foreign 210s more accurate than the local ones, and if so, is there a particular model I should look at?

You do not need to shell out an arm and a leg to get similar accuracy with the American P210. I'm speaking as a fan of all three (Swiss, German, and American).

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a Swiss and US model. I am not sure which is more accurate on a bench rest but I will tell you that for me, the sights are a bit easier to pick up on the American model. That said, I love old classic so if i had to choose one, I prefer the older model but that is not due to shootability but rather nostalgia.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I've not yet owned the P210 but have seen both designs present high quality barrel lock up, different methods yes, leaving accuracy to the shooter and ammunition. I hope I live to see the day when accuracy concerns of the 210 are proven, on target, by ammo of both jacketed and lead target loads. Everything I have seen to date are hitting gongs at 80 yards, blasting pop bottles of colored water or shooting steel targets. The ol' fashion in me wants for the paper NRA targets showing hand held, fired groups.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I was going to say I bought my first one 15 years or so ago. But I see now I've just past 19 years, and I joined after lurking. The P210 was the reason, and I liked it, but I couldn't find any information about it. Mine just felt better than the 92fs and other junk I'd been shooting.

So you come here where a few of our fellow posters actually own and shoot them. Like a revelation. Its just a very, very good gun. Built to last. And be accurate if you practice enough. I'm a 'Merican citizen and have been my whole life. I prefer to buy domestic when I can, or when I don't see a clearly better product made somewhere else. The P210 fits that, its clearly a better product than the plastic crap or the dime a dozen things advertised in the gun rags.

There are things I like about my P210s. First I like the grip frame. Single stack that fits my hand well. Its an ultimately reliable. Then there's the reputation for long term reliability. Its not a throwaway, often going 100,000 or even 200,000 round before showing any signs of problems. You might have a problem getting replacement parts, but they don't have a reputation for breaking.

Some folks have a financial problem and just can't afford a quality firearm. I feel sorry for them, but its their problem, not mine. We have ongoing threads about if you can only own one gun, what would it be? With many if not most regurgitating the latest and newest wonder gun. I don't care if mine is made or rust prone steel, I don't want plastic. I can't find any rust on mine, but its new to the party, only dating to the early 1970s. Yeah, its a second owner gun for me. Bought off a used gun lot. It wasn't cheap by any measure, but it came with all the options. Its a 3 caliber gun, perfect for my uses.

The only thing missing was the target sights. I picked up a set at a gun show, but haven't got around to putting them on, and not sure I will.

And there are some problems associated with the model. The lack of availability of magazines is the biggie. So I swallowed any pride I might still have and just stocked up on a few extra's. I even gave one away here. Most of us prefer the zigzag or zipper back ones from the past. I've heard mags wear out. Guess you've got to work at that. I haven't managed to do it yet.

Guess if I die, my offspring will take the prize gun to a range and complain the mags don't drop free to step on. I like it that way.

I've found that the 9mm (and .30) don't load so easy. When you combine that with them not being a dime a dozen, you learn some work arounds. You load all your mags at home the night before. And if you want (need) a mag loader, the Smith M39 loader works just like it was made for it.

So I'm a happy owner. Over a long period, sort of. If almost 20 years is long enough. Mine's a Neuhausen (Swiss) made model. You can buy and love your German or American models. Hope for your sake the American one stays in production long enough to compare it to mine.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

My shooting is moderately paced, target shooting.

Thanks

That's like telling someone you're buying a Corvette and them telling you you should buy a Ferrari. They aren't really in the same world price wise. Both will suit you fine.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the shooter at the range advised me that I should get a Swiss/German made model rather than the locally made version, given the imports are more accurate.

The things you hear at gun ranges, at gun stores and on the 'net

From everything I've read and seen the P210A is every bit was well-made as its European counterparts.

quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
The ol' fashion in me wants for the paper NRA targets showing hand held, fired groups.

If you're talking about paper targets shot with a P210A: Search the forum. They're here. Somewhere.

Somebody, don't recall whom, posted some photos of one-ragged-hole groups shot with his P210A a few months ago. Don't recall the range.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot a Swiss P210 in Switzerland, it was over 20 years ago. The pistol was owned by the family who hosted me in the Alps. The feeling in hand was wonderful, and it seemed to be very accurate. Fast-forward and I own a P210 American standard, and it is as accurate as my age allows it to be. I'd say it is GTG for bullseye competition. The feeling of a single stack is great, trigger is crisp and light, totally reliable and safety is better than the Swiss P210. And the price is not as offensive. I would recommend P210A. Not a Ferrari, but so what?

Posts: 287 | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
As far as accuracy goes, the January 2019 issue of American Rifleman reviewed the US made P210A. The author seemed quite amazed at it's accuracy. It averaged 0.91" at 25yds. with a variety of loads. It shot the best @ 0.75" with SIG's 147gr V-Crown match ammo. The author stated it was the most accurate centerfire pistol he'd shot in 20 years.

I doubt anyone is likely to take issue with accuracy from the US models. Though there is talk of some folks having problems with the recoil spring assy. and availability of replacements. Of all the newer SIGs on the market, the P210A seems the most appealing.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post