SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinions - P229 or P224?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions - P229 or P224? Login/Join 
posted
Am considering the acquisition of a new Compact or SC 9mm, and striker-fired is a non-starter. Realize the P224 is out of production and (9mm flavor) rare, but it seems to be the ticket for me, as I live in a warm climate most of the year, so SC fills the bill for concealability.

I currently own and love the P226, and since there is some level of cross compatibility with the P229, that convenience is also attractive.

Looking for opinions from the Forum on the question. And to beat everyone to the punch, yes, the ideal scenario would be all three, but that's not in the cards right now!

Thanks in advance!

"I won't engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man."

Posts: 29 | Location: TX | Registered: October 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
find a 229 carry.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of the two, go with the 229. Just a better all around gun, IMHO.
And consider a 9mm P250SC.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
IMO the 229 is a bit stocky for me, I had one and sold it. They are very nice pistols.
You may not want to rule out a striker fired pistol, the 320 Sub Compact is a nice pistol for carry. Overall it's smaller, in width, height and length and 10 oz. lighter than a 229.
Try one out, you may just like it a lot.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P229. Love the P229. Sig hit it out of the park with that one.

Posts: 478 | Location: Arizona | Registered: February 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
The P229, IMO.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 229 40 S&W I owned was incredibly accurate and soft shooting. I agree with the 229 being the better of the two.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my 229 stainless is great. never handled a 224.
if it doesn't have to be a sig, I have a cz rami bd that is very nice. and a cz p-01 on the way ,p-01 may be bigger than what you want but it is a compact.you may want to look at both. for the money cz makes some nice stuff . not pushing the czs,i like sigs and czs .sigs-226,227,229,365, all nice. czs - 2 sp-01 tacticals, rami bd., all nice. green p-01 and a urban grey sp-01 tactical will be here this week.

Posts: 83 | Registered: December 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of geebo
posted Hide Post
How about the P225-A1?

Smaller than a 229 with the same operating controls and a dynamite SRT trigger.

Posts: 32 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: March 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Consider the P239 also; they can be had used at very reasonable prices and carry quite well. 7+1 in .40, but the platform absolutely shines in 9mm IMO.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Belt carry, I would go with a P229. Perhaps even one of the steel framed versions

Pocket, purse, ankle carry, I would go with a P224 SAS, perhaps even a DAK, Though I am not a DAK fan

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally I absolutely adored my 2 P224’s. Neither the 224 or the 229 make sense to me for CCW in this polymer framed era. They are fantastic shooters but way too many better options nowadays.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P226 mags didn't run reliably in my P226.
Too heavy for a sub compact, IMHO.

If I was still shooting SIGs, I'd run a P226/P239 combo.

I'm much happier daily carrying my polymer poppers.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have no knowledge of the 224.

Love the 229. Would like to have a compact 229, but do have two 229s now.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I think you’ll enjoy either the P239 or P225A1

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
look for a discontinued 229C in9mm

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Double-stacks: P229 -or- M11A1.
Single-stack: P239 (but the P225A1's feel really nice).

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post