SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I picked up a P220 Compact SAO
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I picked up a P220 Compact SAO Login/Join 
Picture of JohnnyD
posted
Another pawn shop find. A pretty interesting pistol. It's M1911 functionality on a P220 platform.
If you have one of these, I'd be interested in hearing your impressions and experience with this model. Also interested in production numbers for the SAO version if anyone knows.
Thanks!

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I'm a 220 fan; have a 220 TT and 220R Carry. Both great guns, but I have been wanting to shoot that SAO just to compare to my 1911's. Hope you'll report soon.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
I have a P220 Compact DA/SA and love it. I was recently made aware of the SAO version and now they seem to be taunting me.
Very Nice!

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gents, I will try to get to the range soon and report back.

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I traded for one in February and fired it one time. It felt good in my hands but I couldn't get used to the SAO platform and sold it to another forum member. Nothing wrong with them, I'm just so used to DA/SA I couldn't get used to SAO.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I have a P220 carry in SAO it's my anti 1911 gun

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
Last fall I found a P220 Carry SAO at a local gun show. I like it a TON. I need to get new pictures because I put a pair of P220 SAO G10 SIG grip on it.

Some of my P220s, the compact is actually a P245 (basically a P220 Compact but not)

Here is your 1911 Killer... P220 SAO frame with the slide from my Stainless Match Elite.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Wow. All of these SAO's and me having never shot one...do tell about the trigger compared to a production 1911. Same? Heavier? Crisper?

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
Wow. All of these SAO's and me having never shot one...do tell about the trigger compared to a production 1911. Same? Heavier? Crisper?

Trigger on a SIG SAO compared to a production 1911... I have 3 SAO SIG P-series guns and I'd rate them equal to most good production 1911 trigger. I have 3 production 1911s, all SIGs, which I think is the best value in production 1911s. It's a toss up, 2 of the SIG 1911s have very good triggers and the other is good but just heavier. I'd say my SAO P-Series triggers all fit right in the middle of my SIG 1911s. None of them are like breaking the proverbial "glass rod".

I have an old West German, mud rail, P226 that has an AWESOME single action trigger, the double action is really good too on it, it's had a lot of ammo run through it and has worn really nicely. The best double action trigger I own is a SIG P250, I've had 2 of them and they have literally the best double action trigger I've ever felt in any gun, including highly tuned Colt Pythons and S&W revolvers.
SIG makes good triggers.

The best production single action triggers I own are in a couple of my Smith & Wesson revolvers. I have a 629 PC that is incredible!!!

Picture of ac26
posted Hide Post
I have recently shot and compared a Sig 1911 Ultra with a Ruger SR1911 LWC. The trigger on the Ultra was excellent. Having owned both a 220 DA/SA and a 220 DAK I do look forward to shooting a Sig 220 SAO compact very soon. Big Grin

Posts: 191 | Location: Dallas Texas | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Erich505
posted Hide Post
I got mine about six years ago when CDNN was blowing out the Elites (aluminum stocks, night sights - yours looks like a P220 Compact Elite SAO, btw) for $598 delivered.

I like it a good bit (it's the only .45 ACP semiauto I have these days) - shoots accurately and reliably, and I can shoot it fast enough to suit my needs. I like being able to load/unload the gun with the safety engaged.

Posts: 186 | Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico USA | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
Yes Erich, they look identical don't they.
The markings are a bit different but they are clearly the same model. I bet mine's from CDNN as well. I don't know this ones history.
I never even considered the thumb safety not locking the slide. That's an interesting feature.
Everyone, thanks for the feedback. I hope to get to the range soon.

USAF/ANG Retired

Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
I lusted after one of those for a long, long time. When CDNN had them I didn't have the cash. When I finally had enough I called them and they were all gone. Frown

One day I will get one as well.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Erich505:
I like being able to load/unload the gun with the safety engaged.

That is definitely one feature I prefer in the SIG SAO's over a 1911. Instead of locking the slide, the SIG safety locks the trigger bar.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
These guns were part of some govt contract years ago IIRC. CDNN had them in fullsize and compact. Both SAO and both with aluminum grips. They ended up blowing gen out for under $600. They were great guns.

Sig must have had extra parts laying around because about a year after they were sold out from CDNN Sig released another identical batch of the Conpact SAO's but with the SAS treatment.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked one of these up yesterday. I only had time to shoot 15 rounds out of it, but I'm impressed on how soft it shoots. Erich505 my serial is only 59 higher than yours.

I'm now searching for a holster for it. Most of the holsters I see are for the carry and not the compact. Does this model have the same dimensions as the p245?

Posts: 226 | Location: Southern, PA | Registered: July 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shkuhn:
I just picked one of these up yesterday. I only had time to shoot 15 rounds out of it, but I'm impressed on how soft it shoots. Erich505 my serial is only 59 higher than yours.

I'm now searching for a holster for it. Most of the holsters I see are for the carry and not the compact. Does this model have the same dimensions as the p245?

Yes. I think you will find that carry holsters work pretty well as the difference in slide isn't as signicant as in the grip length. I think 229 holster work pretty well too.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by shkuhn:

Yes. I think you will find that carry holsters work pretty well as the difference in slide isn't as signicant as in the grip length. I think 229 holster work pretty well too.

Yes, a holster generally is only dependent on the slide length, dust cover and trigger guard.

I have a P245 which is almost identical to a P220 Compact and it fits fine in the leather holsters I have for my P229 and P220 Carry (non-rail).