SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Seeking advice eletronic hearing muffs.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking advice eletronic hearing muffs. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I had electronic earmuffs for a while, and were nice for amplifying sound to hear range commands. I wear glasses now, and they destroy the utility of any ear seal. Wearing ear plugs under the electronic muff destroys the utility of enhancing the range command, and the electronic muffs give more of an illusion of blocking sound than actually doing it.

Now I just wear ear plugs, usually the foam type.

You should try some Sightlines. They don't work with all glasses but are an option to address the issue you describe. I have some on my MSA Sordins and they work great with my shooting glasses.

Posts: 15 | Registered: September 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy T:

You should try some Sightlines. They don't work with all glasses but are an option to address the issue you describe. I have some on my MSA Sordins and they work great with my shooting glasses.

Very interesting, thanks. I am going to give those a try.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for MSA/Sordin Pros. I also installed NoiseFighter gel ear pads and couldn’t be happier.

Definitely a buy once cry once setup.

Posts: 133 | Location: Westfield, IN | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
I have experience with a variety of electronic ear pro. From cheap Pro-Ears to Peltor Com Tacs, the TCI DEHP, and Sordin Supreme Pros...

The best hearing protection, overall, is the non amplified muffs with the big ear cups. The big ear cups have a higher NRR due to more noise attenuation material. Problem is, you cant hear anyone talking to you...

...Amplified ear pro (with slim profile cups) have a lower NRR, but, you get to have a conversation with those around you.

If you are strictly shooting handguns, get the electronic muffs with bigger cups. They should offer a higher NRR. If you are shooting long guns as well, get the slimmer profile ones. Either way, wear foam plugs underneath if you are shooting indoors (or in a confined space...like a vehicle). When doubling up with plugs, you will loose some of the amplification, but, if you turn them up, it will be ok.

As to what brand, it depends on what you are doing:

Simple range plinking/low speed range time? Howard Leights or whatever flavor of the lower cost Peltors will do you fine.

Rough and tumble tactical training courses/all day outdoors and working up a sweat? You would be better served by the Higher end Peltor Comtacs, the MSA Supreme/Supreme Pro, or the TCI DEHP ear pro.

No matter what you choose, make sure that you allow the ear pro to thoroughly air dry after use. Sweat will corrode the inner electronics and cause the unit to fail.

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Tonight, I will be looking at Walker's in-ear electronic plugs:

Razor Rope $89 www.WalkersGameEar.com/rope-hearing-enhancer NRR 29dB
Nothing fancy, just strand of wire that runs behind the head.

Razor X $120 www.WalkersGameEar.com/razor-x NRR 31dB
Nothing fancy, this one sites on the neck with the two wires going to your ears.

Razor XV $160 www.WalkersGameEar.com/razor-xv/ NRR 31dB
Active Bluetooth allows connection to mobile devices to listen to music, text messages, or take calls. I like this option because I can use it as a noise reduction headset on flights.

When I shoot indoors, I have always used both foam in-ear plugs and David Clarke over-ear hearing protectors. I've always felt the David Clarke headset was great protection from low frequency "concussion-felt" sounds when the shooter next to me was blasting away with S&W 500 or some other large bore weapon.

The Walker's appeal to me because I can still use my David Clarke headsets with them when I shoot indoors.

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I wear a set of the OD green Howard Leights PLUS a set of foam plugs and it works very well for me:

This is my favorite combo also. I use the Howard Leight 36db earplugs (important to know how to properly put these in)... then this muff on top. Double-bagging it is the only way to go.

Posts: 331 | Location: OH | Registered: September 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Before I went into Ammo Bros, I settled on the non-Bluetooth Razer X but they had the Razer XV Bluetooth version on sale for $145 so I bought a pair of the XV Bluetooth model.

Friday, I was in a class focused on pistol fundamentals using red dot sights with 19 other shooters. The XVs worked great for noise reduction, hearing the instructor when he was on the other end of the firing line, comfort, and sending to voicemail a couple of non-important calls without having to look at my cell phone.

I am looking forward to watching a movie on my cell the next time I have business trip.

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post