SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Compact/subcompact 45s. What are you carrying?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Compact/subcompact 45s. What are you carrying? Login/Join 
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted
While it is hard to find a truly small "subcompact" 45 and most of the small 45s marketed as "compacts" are still fairly large pistols, I am wondering what those who choose these guns are carrying?

I am using a S&W CS45 to meet my subcompact 45 needs. But it is a fairly large gun. I have looked hard at the XDs45 Mod 2. But striker fired plastic doesn't appeal to me and I hate the loaded chamber indicator.

I am looking hard at the Colt Defender - especially the new Combat Elite version. But I would need to take a requal on 1911 pistols as it has been decades since I carried one. And I am a lefty, so there is a need for an ambi safety.

So, what model subcompact/compact 45 are y'all using? Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a XDs 45 but not the Mod. 2. I really like it, it's a good gun. Never had a malfunction. I do not carry it however because IMHO the capacity is just too low. I actually do not carry any of my 45's anymore for that same reason.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
One of my frequent CCW's is my XDs 45 in an Azula OWB holster. The only upgrade is the addition of night sights.

i need the nearest gas station

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
When it's time to put a .45 on my hip, it's a PC Shield.

While they ran fine, I never personally cared for the somewhat vicious snap/recoil of the XDSs in .45 ACP.

The .45 Shield is a very pleasant and accurate shooter.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I used to carry a Detonic CombatMaster,

easy to conceal, if just a bit heavy (compared to modern stuff)

it shot very well,

when the Sear spring started to wear, and I could not find a replacement , I made it a range only gun and went a size up to a Colt Commander,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've occasionally carried a Glock 30. But it's a bit too bulky for my taste. I had tried a Glock 36 several years ago, but that one didn't work for me either.

I have yet to find that "Goldilocks" compact .45 to fit me.

I don't find concealing a Commander 1911 to be all that difficult, though you definitely notice the weight after a while, and grip could be a bit shorter. So I think one of my next purchases will be something like an aluminum-framed CCO 1911, like a Dan Wesson Vigil CCO. Maybe with the slightly lighter frame and shorter grip, that'll be the ticket for a compact(ish) .45 carry gun.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I carry my Sig 1911 Ultra often because it has been 100% reliable. I had a Colt Defender a number of years ago and it was unreliable with a FTF every other mag.

Here is my Sig:

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I've occasionally carried a Glock 30. But it's a bit too bulky for my taste. I had tried a Glock 36 several years ago, but that one didn't work for me either.

I have yet to find that "Goldilocks" compact .45 to fit me.

I don't find concealing a Commander 1911 to be all that difficult, though you definitely notice the weight after a while. So I think one of my next purchases will be something like an aluminum-framed CCO 1911, like a Dan Wesson Vigil CCO. Maybe that'll be the ticket for a compact(ish) .45 carry gun.

I have a G30, but I am hard headed and do not carry it ,
for both the reason you mentioned, and I am used to a 1911 or SIG as far as operating systems, and that hard head part means I don't want to train myself not to shoot myself with the Glock,,

I do have a pre series 70 LW Commander that I have shot a few times, but it is too nice to carry, my Series 80 steel frame commander is parkerized, so no worries on carry wear

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
My EDC is a 320C 45. 9+1 is good but the gun is a little heavy.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We own a Glock G30S and a Glock G36. Both hide well for us. We’ve owned the 36 since 2001 and prefer it.

We recently purchased a P320C in .45ACP. We like it but it has not found its way into the rotation, owing to being larger and heavier than the Glocks.

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While some may find it a bit large for CCW, I really like my P220 Carry SAO. It's small enough to carry well but large enough to shoot like a full size gun... which it, arguably, actually is.
It's also my only .45 ACP, so there's that. Big Grin

Posts: 91 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
If I feel like a .45 it’s usually my SIG. it was a birthday present so I try to use it often when I dress up.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given the OP's pennant for third gen Smiths, why not a 457? I like mine well enough, though I have admittedly never carried it on my person for a whole day. Don't know if it would be a bit weighty or not.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I like shooting the plate rack at 50-60 yards with my XDs. Little gun that shoots like a full sized one.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
g3 g30

Posts: 2211 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so, mk23 does not count?

I happen to like the shield 45

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
One more vote for the Siv Ultra 1911 .45acp.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
When I feel like something a little more substantial than my G26, my G30 fits the bill in a pancake. I’m interested in trading up to a 30S to narrow it down just a tad.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it fits your compact/subcompact definition, but my usual carry gun is a Sig 1911 C3, officer length frame with commander length slide. Lately I have started carrying a Smith & Wesson Shield in .45.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the info and opinions! Much appreciated!

I have carried.....and still do, a S&W 457. Great and very underated pistol. I guess I am wanting something a little slimmer and lighter.

I work part time for a Sig Master dealer. I will check out the C3. Thanks again! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post