SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Canik TP9 and Its Variants
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canik TP9 and Its Variants Login/Join 
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted
I just spent the week at an annual industry seminar. I got to shoot the TP9 and its various iterations. I'm probably going to be lynched for what I say next, but the trigger pull, and reset, are absolutely better than any striker fired gun I've ever shot. The TPSFX was superb. I also really enjoyed the double action model. Other than the P99, I am unaware of a double action striker fired gun.

The facility that manufactures them is ISO-9000 certified. The guns are NATO certified. Does anyone own one of these guns? Have I drank the Kool-Aid?

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
I just spent the week at an annual industry seminar. I got to shoot the TP9 and its various iterations. I'm probably going to be lynched for what I say next, but the trigger pull, and reset, are absolutely better than any striker fired gun I've ever shot. The TPSFX was superb. I also really enjoyed the double action model. Other than the P99, I am unaware of a double action striker fired gun.

The facility that manufactures them is ISO-9000 certified. The guns are NATO certified. Does anyone own one of these guns? Have I drank the Kool-Aid?

Even better than the Walther PPQ's trigger? Hard to believe.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldn't believe it either. My only advice is to try one. I'm around new guns everyday, this is the first thing to get me going in a long time.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:

Even better than the Walther PPQ's trigger? Hard to believe.

The TP9SFX is their competition pistol I believe with 3.5 LB trigger while PPQ is combat pistol with 5 LB trigger and tactile feel for the take up. For me though lighter does not mean better for a pistol I want to use for SD or CCW. I can't fault the PPQ trigger when it comes to trigger break or reset. There is absolutely no grit or creep/travel for the break in my PPQ.

Not familiar with the Caniks. I stick to the major manufacturers for warranty support and parts availability. I needed a back strap for my Walther PPS. I emailed Walther and got a reply early the next day telling me that the new part had been shipped and already on the way which I did get a few days later.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife got me an SF model, and I really like it. Best trigger of anything I own, although I am relegated to Glocks, S&W, FN, and XDs. It is really good and costs less than others, only things missing are parts availability, holster selection, and track record. Magazines are Mecgar, reasonably priced and available. Its a good gun, not for the price, its a good gun period.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Super Shooter,

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I looked at a Canik TP9 today, a FDE model, but am more interested in the TP9 Elite model with a shorter grip.

I didn't try the trigger, but its not a big issue with me, I look more at quality of construction, which seems pretty good.

Recoil magazine has a review of the Elite in their concealment issue, they ratd it highly.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
I emailed them about making the SF Elite with a black slide. Hopefully they will make one.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdmb03:
I emailed them about making the SF Elite with a black slide. Hopefully they will make one.

The Elite featured in Recoil was black, frame-slide controls.

My bad, maybe the photos just made the slide appear black. Tungsten slides.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The Elite was their attempt to go upmarket. Better cosmetics better sights, a tad more expensive.

Canik's niche in the US market is to be as good as the name brands, but lots cheaper (new.) If they try to get more expensive, they lose their advantage. They should have just released the Elite as a TP9 compact, in plain black, with the same sights the other guns came with. And they should have kept the price the same as the TP9SF.

They should have also designed it with sights that were compatible with another major brand (Glock?), so that upgrading would be easy. If they were really smart, they would have made it holster compatible (that would be tougher though.)

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Have not seen the TPSFX variant but the Caniks that we've had through the shop have been quite impressive when handling. With dry fire the triggers are pretty darn good, though the average PPQ IMHO still bests it by a clear margin just like it does its sibling P99, which I consider the triggers of most of those Caniks that we've had to be the action they resemble the most. Definitely a step above a factory Glock, any Ruger striker, mushy XDm or M&P 2.0. Add in the significance of their price points and I can almost forget that they're imported by Century Arms.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have the TP9V2, which is a clone of the Walther P99AS (anti-stress trigger). The trigger is fantastic. And I will agree with a poster above. Its a great gun. Not because of the price. Its just a good gun.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the V2 version but I sold it because it was just too big for my needs. It was a really nice gun though. The slide had a smooth, quality feel when it was racked and overall it felt much more expensive than it was. Both the d/a and sa trigger modes had a very nice feel. It sounds funny but I actually preferred the d/a mode. Best of all, it was extremely accurate. It was really easy to get tight, consistent groups.
If a more compact version had been available it would've been a keeper.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shot the TP9SFX and the 320 X5 side by side, I'd take the TP9 any day.

War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I would have never really given the Canik the time of day until Roy told me to go over to their booth at NRA.

I handled the TP9SFX and I have to say, I'm impressed. The trigger was actually very impressive.

Sure, it's a Walther clone, but for it's price it's a pretty nice gun.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Wow, the TP9SFX sounds like a real winner. And, at $480, it'll blow the competition away.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a TP9SFx with a Venom red-dot sight. It is just about Bullseye quality. If a grip finally arrives for P320F9 RX with Romeo-1 red-dot sight (on order for almost six months) a set of almost bullseye pistols in 9mm will be compared. [Includes fixed M&P 9L Pro CORE with Venom; Fixed G34 Gen4 MOS with Venom; and a much too heavy Range Officer with slow twist barrel and Burris FF3]
Any guesses?

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If a grip finally arrives for P320F9 RX with Romeo-1 red-dot sight (on order for almost six months) a set of almost bullseye pistols in 9mm will be compared.

I'd be interested in that comparison. I shoot a 226 X5 in PPC, once I get the TP9SFX, I'll do a comparison of those two.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I tried that new completion model at the NRA show and the trigger felt like it was 2 lbs

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
By all accounts they are decent pistol, but . . .

Imported by Century + made by Erdogan's buddies in Turkey = not getting my money.

Posts: 10751 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
...made by Erdogan's buddies in Turkey = not getting my money.

Good point that I hadn't thought about.

Q