New
Find
Notify
Tools

DAK question Login/Join 
Picture of Deputy 617
posted
Gents,

I own a P229R DAK and have a question as mine is the only DAK pistol I've handled.

I've read that the DAK has two reset points with the first being around 8.5lbs, and the second being around 6.5lbs. I've been running mine for about six months now, and can say with no doubt that it has three distinct reset points.

If I slowly let out on the trigger, it goes to the first point which feels very light. Like, lighter than 6.5lbs easily. Just beyond that I get a second reset which is much heavier... Probably in the 8.5lb range. When I let the trigger fully reset, I get a third pull weight which probably is around the advertised 6.5lbs.

I got the pistol used, which causes me to wonder if ther might have been a part swap/modification to provide the very light pull for the first reset point.

Any DAK experts here have any input? I'd say the first reset point is easily a full pound lighter, if not more than the pull weight at full reset.

SIG SAUER...... Get you some!

Posts: 369 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
sigfreund is the resident expert on DAK. He'll answer your questions. Or research his past threads. I've had several DAK pistols but none had three resets. A past owner might have changed out springs at some point.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have owned and operated many DAK pistols and never encountered what you’re describing.

When you pull the trigger at the first, light, reset point, does the hammer move to the rear normally and fire rounds with no problem?

All I can think of is that perhaps the trigger bar somehow contacts the hammer at the bottom of the hook at the first reset point you’re describing. That would increase the leverage of the system and reduce the trigger pull weight. I don’t know how that could happen, but it’s one of those “Anything’s possible” things.

If you can remove the grip(s), perhaps you could see what’s going on. A photograph of the right side of the mechanism when the trigger is just at the first and light reset point might help.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deputy 617
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I have owned and operated many DAK pistols and never encountered what you’re describing.

When you pull the trigger at the first, light, reset point, does the hammer move to the rear normally and fire rounds with no problem?

All I can think of is that perhaps the trigger bar somehow contacts the hammer at the bottom of the hook at the first reset point you’re describing. That would increase the leverage of the system and reduce the trigger pull weight. I don’t know how that could happen, but it’s one of those “Anything’s possible” things.

If you can remove the grip(s), perhaps you could see what’s going on. A photograph of the right side of the mechanism when the trigger is just at the first and light reset point might help.

I waited to post this until I was absolutely sure. Yes... It reliably ignites primers at the first very light trigger reset point. I even tried the pencil trick (inserting a pencil in the barrel, unloaded) and it shoots the pistol upward as far as either of the other two reset points.

My job is sending me through the SIG armorers course in about 2 months so perhaps I will have a better understanding then. Still, it is something that boggles my mind. The first reset feels much like the single action trigger on my P220's. It also works without fail.

Any other ideas as to what, specifically might be going on with this particular pistol?

Posts: 369 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deputy 617
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deputy 617:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

I waited to post this until I was absolutely sure. Yes... It reliably ignites primers at the first very light trigger reset point. I even tried the pencil trick (inserting a pencil in the barrel, unloaded) and it shoots the pencil upward as far as either of the other two reset points.

My job is sending me through the SIG armorers course in about 2 months so perhaps I will have a better understanding then. Still, it is something that boggles my mind. The first reset feels much like the single action trigger on my P220's. It also works without fail.

Any other ideas as to what, specifically might be going on with this particular pistol?