SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Holster for Glock 20 while hiking / mtn biking
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holster for Glock 20 while hiking / mtn biking Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I only have a Glock 9mm for which I use and like with a comp-tac Infidel Ultra Max IWB holster. I do have comp-tac OWB holsters for use in competitions but for carry, I use the IUM.

I'm buying a 20sf. My first non-9mm. I'll only be using it / carrying it while hiking / biking in the forests - areas where you may encounter unfriendly 2 and 4 legged critters. Hopefully never but you never know.

I will usually have a back pack (water, food, first aid). Activities will usually be in warmer weather (ie - w/out jacket and good cover garments).

It doesn't appear that comp-tac makes the IUM for the 20sf although maybe in the full kydex Infidel Max model.

Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations on carry method (IWB, some sort of strap on bag (chest? waist?), just use my backpack?). I'm not sure OWB will work well with T-shirts but willing to try if that's generally what people do (are there allowances for accidental exposure when in the woods? maybe not a big deal if no one is around except other hikers?).

If in a bag (chest, waist, back), I could probably use the Mic trigger guard.

If iwb/owb - any recommendations? I've never really tried other holsters other than MTAC and the IUM. I don't even carry a this size (ie - it's bigger than a 26).

ETA: I guess I should have posted in the CCW section. And I'm looking at the HPG bag.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
An interesting "holster" I use for hiking is the Wilderness Safepacker. Accessible, comfortable and padded for climbing around. I usually have carried a smaller gun than the G20. The G29 fits in the "Commander" sized Safepacker.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure OWB will work well with T-shirts but willing to try if that's generally what people do (are there allowances for accidental exposure when in the woods? maybe not a big deal if no one is around except other hikers?).

This makes it sound like concealment is a necessity, and hiking clothes - especially in summer - don't always work toward the goal of absolute concealment. are you in an area where open carry is gravely frowned upon or downright illegal? What are your concerns about open carry in the woods?

I conceal 100% of the time in my daily life, but on hikes and stuff in the woods, I would be okay with (if not feel safer) open carrying a G20 than trying to conceal it - especially with a backpack on. I find backpack straps down by my hip tend to accentuate the butt of the pistol in an IWB or OWB holster by tucking some shirt behind it, or make drawing the pistol harder with the strap over the gun.

I had a Safariland OWB holster for the G20 when I had one. Doens't conceal super well, since it's more of a duty-type holster OWB. but hiking around, I felt like it was easily accessible should I need it and the gun was secure. a t-shirt over it was "concealed" enough for me, plus Utah and Idaho where I do most of my hiking are both gun-friendly enough that CC vs OC doesn't make much of a difference.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
https://www.diamonddcustomleat...choice-chest-holster

This is what came to my mind immediately.

El Paso Saddlery does their 1942 shoulder rig, which is worth a look...cheaper too.

There's a few companies doing similar rigs but with a kydex holster. Have to do a search for those...I can't recall who they were.

KENAI....Newmexican mentioned it....

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a gunfighters inc kenai chest holster. ITs perfect for the things you describe.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have a navy blue fanny pack that I carry a G20 in with a water bottle attached to the belt from this shop.
http://www.theconcealmentshop.com/aepacks.php I also have a dark green fanny pack I have used for years as well while hiking, biking, etc. I’m a big fan of a fanny pack that doesn’t screen gun (black, camo, khaki, etc.). I would consider a red, blue, yellow, etc. fanny pack for what you are talking about using it for.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of threads on this in the subforum on concealed carry.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Diamond D Custom Leather hip holsters for my G40. They were the only holster maker when the G40 first came out. My G20 pistols fit it nicely, just with a bit of room on the barrel end.
Bear (see what I did there Smile ) in mind, it is by no means a concealment, nor a "quick draw" holster. It it made to protect the gun in the woods. All it is missing is a flap...

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:

This makes it sound like concealment is a necessity, and hiking clothes - especially in summer - don't always work toward the goal of absolute concealment. are you in an area where open carry is gravely frowned upon or downright illegal? What are your concerns about open carry in the woods?

I think CA would be a no-go but I need to research to confirm. I think OR and sounds like ID/UT would be okay. Need to check on WA and NV. These are the states of most likely travel. I'd prefer OWB if possible but concerned about legal issues, especially those hard to find exceptions (ie - regional exceptions like county parks vs state / federal parks, etc). It's very difficult to figure where it's okay or not to carry concealed vs not concealed vs carry at all.

But in the forests, I'd prefer non concealed OWB - more comfortable than IwB and concealed. 20sf may be hard to conceal regardless - maybe the chest bag is the best way to go.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys - sounds like a IWB holster is likely a no-go unless I try the full kydex Infidel.

Leaning toward a bag - waist or chest. That's probably better for biking with the 20sf anyway; biking iwb w/ the 26 is easy but i'm thinking the 20sf will be a little bigger, heavier and more difficult. So HPG Recon is the candidate right now. Still searching for alternatives.

Besides that, I'm probably going to add a few extra mags (4 in 2 double pouches?; with 2 on the belt).

posted Hide Post
I never go mtn biking without a camelback and spares on my back in some form of backpack. I put the gun in there in a kydex (bladetech) holster. Not too tough to get to, and likely on a bike the best solution I've found.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just went through this conundrum myself. I mountain bike and was using a Camelbak. I didn't need the water but was using the backpack to carry phone, wallet, keys, etc. I hated it. Every time I needed something it was a hassle. I went to the CCW section and read about HPG. They are kind of hard to communicate with, lots of their stuff is out of stock, and they are pricey with a capital P. That being said I tried one out.

I bought the original kit bag v2. It is the recon/runner sized bag with one additional center section that has PALS webbing inside for MOLLE gear and two slip pockets. I used it mountain biking and instantly knew it was a winner. I found it was bigger than I needed though. I started turning it into an emergency pack, firestarter, emergency gear, knife, blanket, blah blah blah. Didn't need all that stuff on a mountain bike ride.

So, I went back online and they had a recon in stock. I got it. I found Blue Force Gear was selling a bunch of their wolf (grey) ten speed gear on sale for cheap so I added a 3 shingle M4 mag pouch up front. When empty it stays flat and light. I can stuff power bars, tubes, bike bullshit, whatever if I need extra space.

For biking the recon or runner are perfect. I like the recon because the webbing gives extra space if needed and in a pinch it doesn't make a bad chassis for a sidearm and some extra AR mags.

I have turned the kit bag v2 into more of a hiking/bad things happen bag.

I like them both but if I could only have one I would get the recon.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just use my day pack. It has a quick access rear CCW pocket and is a sling pack so the contents can be accessed quickly on the fly. Mine is the Maxpedetion Sitka gearslinger. They have many size options (larger or smaller in the Gearslinger line).

https://www.amazon.com/Maxpedi...linger/dp/B002XL9ZUA

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Sitka as well. Great pack. Walking or hiking a pack isn't a big deal. Especially a Sitka type sling pack that is easy to slide around. Riding a bike though (or running) presents a few challenges. Any kind of back pack first off makes you hotter. It rides pressed onto your back and the sun beats down on you making it a little bit furnace-y. The chest pack rides out of the sun and due to the fact that you are leaning forward while riding the pack actually doesn't even touch you while riding. It actually is slightly off your chest and air gets in there quite easily. Hard to explain but way cooler than a backpack. Also even sling packs need to be moved to access stuff. On a bike you have to use the low strap or the bag will move on you. None of which makes any kind of back pack fast for bike use.

Do they work? Yes, of course, but the chest pack is almost perfect for biking unless you actually are carrying a ton of shit.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. HPG Recon sounds like a good place to start.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
This is taken in artificial light so it looks black. It’s really blue. When I took this picture, I had a Glock 20 G3 with two spare mags inside the fanny pack plus the water bottle carrier. As I mentioned a non-black tactical color is crucial IMHO.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]
(Click on the picture to enlarge)

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two main holsters that use for the G20:
Safariland ALS OWB
Gunfighters Inc. Kenai chest rig.

The ALS holster works well with a non waist belt equipped daypack and I have no concerns about losing the gun should I take a fall. The release is quick and return to holster is positive. Water resistant and easy to clean, which is a plus when I ATV. A little bulky to conceal but I wear a vest so no biggie. Priced right too.

The Kenai is worn in colder weather when access under a coat is a problem. Possibly the best Kydex chest rig $$$ can buy. The ability to switch holsters easily is a plus. Pricey but worth it.

I have a Hill People Gear chest pouch and it is excellent. But I don't use it as a gun pack.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Looking at all suggestions.

Kenai is interesting - wonder if it would be ok concealed under a T-shirt.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
WA is an open-carry state. This state doesn't offer reciprocity for most state CCPs, so the legality of conceal carry for a non-resident needs to be researched to check for what's allowed.

A chest rig is how I carry in the back country, though I've not done any trail biking in decades so I don't know how comfortable (or punishing) it would be having the mass of a G20 is on one's chest if the riding gets somewhat exuberant. Diamond D leather is what I've used to carry my GP100. It's a comfortable enough setup but for my body size it is a bit bulky. A local holster company, Gunfighters, Inc, offers a harnessed Kydex chest rig they call the Kenai that now has my interest. Seems like the materials they use should be a better choice given the types of wet weather a roving soul could encounter around here.

EDIT: sorry, I didn't see the prior Kenai post before I posted.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Thanks guys! Looking at all suggestions.

Kenai is interesting - wonder if it would be ok concealed under a T-shirt.

I've never used the kenai under a t shirt, I can't imagine that being very comfortable unless it was over some sort of base layer.

I use mine pretty much every day, weather I'm just out hiking on the tundra, berry picking, small game hunting, I find it very convienient to just throw on and go without giving it a second thought.

I actually have 2 of them, one for a g19 and one for a g20, they adjust easily to fit over/under whatever you want them to. I was out on a moose hunt for a several days in and out of bots, adding and taking off layers, tromping through swamps, creeks and tundra, I forgot I even had the thing on.

I'll probably never mess with another chest rig again.

You could also check out that company called man gear Alaska and the hill people recon bag. For large framed revolvers the diamond custom is probably the best thing going, that's how I carry my 454 but for semi autos...it has to be the kenai.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post