SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P290 Owners,Do you recommendit for CCW?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P290 Owners,Do you recommendit for CCW? Login/Join 
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted
I have always had thoughts of purchasing a 290 and they seem to be available @ reasonable prices.What do you owners say about these little pistols?Are they reliable, how are they to maintain,are there parts and service available since Sig discontinued them some time ago?
I know there are many viable options for CCW, I am mainly interested in The Sig P290 RS at this time.

Posts: 787 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Top heavy, snappy, sharp magazine feedlips, no support from SIG, limited aftermarket.

Owned one. Sold one.

Pass IMO, since you asked.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Never owned one, but handled it. Seemed like the perfect single stack subcompack 9mm for someone who likes their smubbie revolvers but wanted an auto. VERY revolver like trigger.

But I agree with the Rhino. SIG has moved on. If you need parts you'll have problems. And in point of fact there area lot of current production guns that have advantages. I'd go with one of them.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's heavy for its size but carries well in a Tucker holster. Shoots well, no issues that I've experienced. Took me a while to warm up to carrying it but I like it very much. Forums don't show much love for this gun but mine's a keeper.

Posts: 31 | Registered: June 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I don't own one but..I have handled them and I was underwhelmed with the feel, trigger and the one I handles had an out of spec magazine or grip that needed to be wiggled to fully seat in the gun.

With all the other choices out there I don't know why anyone would buy one!

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Well Ronin I want one to go with my P224SAS that most people think are a piece of shit!

Posts: 787 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
We authorize them as BUGs and I carried one for about a year. Mine worked OK for the most part, but it was a weird feeling little brick of a pistol. We have had numerous issues on the line with them in regards to light strikes (even after the RS came out) and they are finicky about limp wristing and being kept clean. I retired mine first for a Ruger LC9S and then a P365 as soon as it was added to the list.

With the options available today I would not recommend the 290. I won't talk bad about anyone who owns and likes one, but I think there are far better options that are still supported.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
My 290RS had the light strike problem. (many)
I sent it back to the factory.
When it returned, I had the light strike problem happen once. I traded that 290RS back to the store where I originally bought it.

There are better BUG/sub compact choices in my opinion.

It's really quite sad. The size and functional design were spot on other than the trigger pull and light strike problems.
I really wanted to like that little gun.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1531 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I carried one of the originals with a factory laser for a short while... until I got the whim to buy a P239.... at least for the seeable future that is what I will stick with .... but I still have the 290... probably need to take it to the range and see how it still does..

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of the original P290's; used when I got it. Front Sight went dark shortly after delivery and I was having light firing pin strikes with every type of factory ammo I tried. Sig sent me a FEDEX shipping label and I had the gun back in two weeks or less. They corrected the light strikes, replaced the front sight, did a trigger job on it, and best of all it was on their dime.

That said, it shot very well in my hands...1" gps at 7+yds with most any ammo. Was completely reliable too but I found it too heavy for infrequent pocket carry unless wearing a winter parka; my original intended purpose.

I did end up carrying it in an OWB of my own make for better than two years (in which it did well) but have since moved on to a P365 and have been completely amazed at it's sterling performance: accuracy, reliability, perfect fit in my hands and out-standing sights. As others have pointed out, it shoots like a full size duty gun...Plus one for me on this comment.

I liked the P290 (no re-strike model), but it's not for everybody. I'm an old (very old some would say) revolver shooter with a hellofa lot of DA revolver trigger time. The P290 resembles a somewhat sloppy DA revolver trigger in my opinion.

If you're not into that type of trigger then the gun is probably not for you. When added to the lack of Sig factory support (really? Gosh I hope not), and minimal resale value...I'd pass on getting one.

Try the P365 if you get a chance...few experienced auto shooters I've run across fail to like it. I'd describe it as the perfect civilian CCW. YMMv, Rod

BTW I own the following Sigs: P220, P225A1, P226, M11A1, Sig 1911 RCS, P365 and the P290.

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 726 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
I use mine for summertime pocket carry. I never had a problem with mine.

Posts: 658 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: July 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of the RS models and never had a problem with it. It shoots all kinds of ammo and is very reliable. I like mine and recommend it.

Posts: 16 | Registered: December 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the helpful replies. I have never held handled or shot a P290. But many years ago the instructor at a CCW class I went to had one he was very proud of.I thought then and still do that it was a very interesting looking little CCW pistol.

I have several pistols that I use for CCW so it would not be my only option. I do realize that for not a whole lot more money I could have a new P365, which has more capacity is lighter and is highly recommended and fully supported by SIG.

But as all the firearm enthusiasts on this great forum know and understand,sometimes you just have to buy what you really want, not what you need!

posted Hide Post
I have a 290Rs that i carry when i want it hidden in my Badger Ordinance IWB. Great little gun if you need one.Wore mine last night with the wife on date night Chilis and a movie, almost forget your carrying it. It has never failed to go boom.

Posts: 449 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I had one. A pretty gun, in oil-rubbed bronze. If only it had been two pounds lighter and half a yard shorter in trigger pull...

I sold it. And I'm not one who sells guns.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I still have mine but it won't be seeing anymore use. Maybe ever.

For what they were, when they first came out, they were excellent. They were designed as BUGs/pocket carry pistols that pew'd out a good sized round. The trigger pull is long and heavy, like a double action revolver, but that was comforting when stuffed in a vest strap holster under my armpit as a BUG. Having a negligent discharge is hard earned with these pistols.

They are heavy but, that helps with handling full power rounds.

They did have full size night sights, which was refreshing compared to most small pistols of the time. I never had any reliability issues. Mine ran 100% and hit what I aimed at, if I did my job.

I wouldn't pick one now, given the myriad of better choices..the P365 being one...similar in size, a tad larger, twice the capacity, better trigger and more.

For what they are worth, I'm not sure it's worth selling mine - but I really doubt I'll break it out for any range sessions. I'm not an advocate of a glove box gun, tackle box, whatever...just don't like unattended guns that get stolen...but for those that like something to toss in the center console and forget about, the 290s are actually not bad.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 290 restrike and really liked it. Within a month the trigger went dead on me. Sent it back to Sig and they said they “serviced” the trigger spring. Whatever that meant, sounded like something that could happen again and so I never felt I could rely on it for carry. So, I traded it within a month on a 938 which I still have and love.

I now have a p365 and couldn’t believe how light and small the 365 is and shoots like a dream. I am totally happy with it and it is my new EDC.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My RS has been fine. No issues. It is a wonky little thing on your hand. Heavy trigger but I didn’t mind that in a pocket pistol. Comes with very god sights even though my front died immediately and was replaced under warranty. Doesn’t give me a lot of faith in the rear ones. Lol. It’s a very small, heavy, very shootable pocket 9.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
Had one for a couple years. A 290RS in fact. Used it for a couple classes, but never could get used to the weird trigger. Finally sold it.

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post