SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Magna Porting Effectiveness on 9mm
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magna Porting Effectiveness on 9mm Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
A summary of my experience with Magna-Porting on revolvers. I have no idea if it has any relevance to ported semi's.

I had five revolvers done, so it's more than one in a row. S&W M686 3" .357 Mag, S&W M19 4" .357, Ruger SP101 3" .357, S&W M36 3" .38 Spl, S&W M60 2" .38 Spl. A decent representative sample.

1) Porting does not reduce recoil, it redirects it. With revolvers, it directs more recoil absorption to the palm of the hand and not the web next to the thumb. Better control and comfort due to the redistribution of felt recoil to a better location. While it may feel like less recoil, the absolute foot pounds of recoil doesn't change. Basic physics.

2) Less muzzle rise, which is what causes Item 1.

3) With all of my Magna-Ported revolvers, I ran controlled tests before and after the porting. Relatively consistent results at seven yards with a number of loads using rapid fire double taps. Vertical spread between the two shots with porting was about half the size of the guns before porting was done. Didn't bother with split times. In a nutshell, the porting resulted in tighter groups with rapid shots. Regardless of whether the caliber was a .38 or .357.

4) No issues with additional muzzle flash using shorter barrelled .357's and full house Magnums. The quality of the flash retardant powders used in premium SD ammo is responsible. Use cheap practice ammo in .357 and you'll get a ton of flash with a 6" unported gun. My SP101 3" with Federal .357 125gr premium loads has no significant flash. I've tested it in pitch black conditions.

5) Splash from the ports. Yes. Only a problem if shooting from a close retention position. Didn't burn or blow my eyes out, but unpleasant and potentially dangerous.

OP, regarding your tendonitis. If the porting on a 9mm pistol redirects the recoil lower in the hand like my revolvers, it could make your shooting more comfortable. If possible, try shooting one first and see how it feels.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
A summary of my experience with Magna-Porting on revolvers. I have no idea if it has any relevance to ported semi's.

I had five revolvers done, so it's more than one in a row. S&W M686 3" .357 Mag, S&W M19 4" .357, Ruger SP101 3" .357, S&W M36 3" .38 Spl, S&W M60 2" .38 Spl. A decent representative sample.

1) Porting does not reduce recoil, it redirects it. With revolvers, it directs more recoil absorption to the palm of the hand and not the web next to the thumb. Better control and comfort due to the redistribution of felt recoil to a better location. While it may feel like less recoil, the absolute foot pounds of recoil doesn't change. Basic physics.

2) Less muzzle rise, which is what causes Item 1.

3) With all of my Magna-Ported revolvers, I ran controlled tests before and after the porting. Relatively consistent results at seven yards with a number of loads using rapid fire double taps. Vertical spread between the two shots with porting was about half the size of the guns before porting was done. Didn't bother with split times. In a nutshell, the porting resulted in tighter groups with rapid shots. Regardless of whether the caliber was a .38 or .357.

4) No issues with additional muzzle flash using shorter barrelled .357's and full house Magnums. The quality of the flash retardant powders used in premium SD ammo is responsible. Use cheap practice ammo in .357 and you'll get a ton of flash with a 6" unported gun. My SP101 3" with Federal .357 125gr premium loads has no significant flash. I've tested it in pitch black conditions.

5) Splash from the ports. Yes. Only a problem if shooting from a close retention position. Didn't burn or blow my eyes out, but unpleasant and potentially dangerous.

OP, regarding your tendonitis. If the porting on a 9mm pistol redirects the recoil lower in the hand like my revolvers, it could make your shooting more comfortable. If possible, try shooting one first and see how it feels.

Thanks Nipper. Your post was very well written and thought out. It helps me summarize all of the posts. PS Nice wheel gun collection. Happy Shooting! Smile

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10-4.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I have a 31C and a 32C, as well as a 29-2 mag-na-port. I find it very helpful, but stupid loud.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
Good post nipper.

thanks nipper,good post.I have talked to sevreal good gunsmiths about porting that they do.

They hope to get 10% less muzzle life,at the most on pistols.

The 686 power port will do more just because the port at end of barrel is so big.As the gunsmiths told me,the recoil,and power factors are in play before the gases hit the port.

I did have a 280 remington ported ,very heavy porting,and i could shoot that gun one handed .

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Buddy has a Magna-Ported .44 Mag S&W, and I thought it made a noticeable difference in the muzzle jump.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of the advice in the post make sense. Works better for large calibers and shaving time of the competition shooting.

Jerry Miculek has a video on magna porting and he highly recommends them but he was describing .357 caliber and up and for the 9mm semi-auto he is working on savings fractions of second off of his shooting time for the competiton shooting that he does.

Very interesting video to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6dWDFcoFFs

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have stated, I don't think you'll reap the benefits of porting with a round that generates the (relatively) low pressure of the 9mm. This follows my experience as well. About 20 years ago I installed an extended, ported barrel on one of my Browning Hi Powers and it was a joke. ZERO difference (to my senses anyway) when shot side by side with an unmodified Hi Power.
I say don't bother.

Posts: 91 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I have a ported MP9 CORE. I like that gun but I hate the porting. Only thing it does in 9mm is make a more pronounced pressure wave. Better shooter than me may notice it being flatter shooting, I can't notice enough to care shooting it side by side with my unported MP9. I have considered buying a unported barrel to replace it I dislike it that much.

Like I did....Actually found the OEM 5” S&W barrel still new in sealed factory package for $115.00.....Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post