SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Magna Porting Effectiveness on 9mm
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magna Porting Effectiveness on 9mm Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone magna ported their 9mm semi and if so how effecitve is it? I am considering it for my P30L. Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's too effective on anything but that's me, some do. Big Grin

Sadly I own a magna ported gun that I wish wasn't. Sadly, some day I will own two.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm generally of the opinion that it's the shooter, not the gun. But there are some that can make use of the small advantage.

Like Jerry:
https://youtu.be/Q6dWDFcoFFs

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
The only gun I have that's magna ported is an officer's 1911 in 45 ACP. The porting is effective, but only with full power loads.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no idea your exact question. But I run a number of competition guns with comps to help shot to shot times and you need a lot of gas for them to have any effect. Simply factory 9 it is not going to make much difference. What problem are you trying to solve.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mag-Na-Porting worked great on my Desert Eagle .50. Not to reduce recoil per se, but to reduce twisting of the firearm as a result of its rotary action. Eliminated the brass to forehead problem.

Don't see much use for it on a 9x19mm.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock has some "C" models in 9mm. Is there a chance you could rent say a 17 or 17C and compare the differences? That might be the easiest way before you have work done on the HK.

Posts: 243 | Location: OH | Registered: January 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Years ago when Mag-na-port was first introduced I was very interested in the modification and had it done to a couple of revolvers. The reviews and analyses at the time reported that the effect was most pronounced with the more powerful cartridges like 357 and 44 Magnum. I suspect the value in a 9mm pistol would be very limited.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a ported MP9 CORE. I like that gun but I hate the porting. Only thing it does in 9mm is make a more pronounced pressure wave. Better shooter than me may notice it being flatter shooting, I can't notice enough to care shooting it side by side with my unported MP9. I have considered buying a unported barrel to replace it I dislike it that much.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by domino:
Glock has some "C" models in 9mm. Is there a chance you could rent say a 17 or 17C and compare the differences? That might be the easiest way before you have work done on the HK.

Good idea

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I have no idea your exact question. But I run a number of competition guns with comps to help shot to shot times and you need a lot of gas for them to have any effect. Simply factory 9 it is not going to make much difference. What problem are you trying to solve.

Issue I am trying to solve is reduced recoil for my tendernitis. Shooting my 226 or M11-A1 takes away a lot of the recoil.

posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Very helpful and insightful comments.

posted Hide Post
I once ported an S&W Model 13 in an effort to help with controllability during double taps with full power .357 ammo.
And it worked.
But the giant V shaped muzzle flash was a big drawback. Lots of increased noise, too.
Flash less powder is now more prevalent and the 9mm may be less prone to flash and noise.
So, for me, porting is only for rifles and shotguns.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have factory ported glock models, such as the 19c. I cant tell much difference between the 19 and 19c.

Porting reduces muzzle rize, but not really recoil.

In a .357 magnum or larger, magnaporting is nice. I have it on various fevolvers. It's well done and useful. It does make for a dirtier pistol to clean.

9x19 isnt really a high powered, stiff recoiling cartridge; you'll get more from the weight of the pistol than you will from magnaporting. You'll find that wider backstraps are more comfortable to shoot, and that some pistols are more comfortable than others.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I have a Glock 19C. It is noticeably louder than the noncompensated version. Also, it makes the front sight really dirty and isn't totally safe for shooting from a close retention hold due to the way it spits debris straight up in the air.
I usually shoot it with the nonported barrel in it.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A G19C is the only unreliable Glock I've ever owned. Replacing the ported barrel with an unported one solved that problem.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
I don't believe I've ever had a semi auto done, but in revolvers with 357 mag and above, I think it made a difference.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shot one of the old Michigan Arms 1911s with Auto-Ports by Magnaport through slide and barrel. I could not tell a lot of difference. But that was years ago, my arthritis might appreciate it now.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I have factory ported glock models, such as the 19c. I cant tell much difference between the 19 and 19c.

Porting reduces muzzle rize, but not really recoil.

In a .357 magnum or larger, magnaporting is nice. I have it on various fevolvers. It's well done and useful. It does make for a dirtier pistol to clean.

9x19 isnt really a high powered, stiff recoiling cartridge; you'll get more from the weight of the pistol than you will from magnaporting. You'll find that wider backstraps are more comfortable to shoot, and that some pistols are more comfortable than others.

Goo point with weight. Size (especially large slides) and weight are major factors in recoil reduction for me. My SIG's (226 & M11-A1) are my softest shooters even more so than my Beretta PX4 Storm with the rotating barrel.

posted Hide Post
If you have/buy a threaded barrel,

try a muzzle brake, one with ports on the side, which are designed to propel it forward,

ports on top will reduce rise.

That combination will be very close to the total cost of the Mag-na-porting after S&H.

aesthetically not as pleasing but not ruined if you don't notice a difference, develops undesirable characteristics.

HK USP 40 MAG-NA-PORTED

Posts: 236 | Location: SDF | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post