SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What striker fired pistols require pulling the trigger before removing the slide?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What striker fired pistols require pulling the trigger before removing the slide? Login/Join 
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
Not to be contrary, but I never use the lever. I always just pull the trigger on my M&P's to disassemble.

Perhaps I have a different version, but pulling the trigger does not work with mine. The lever must be moved down.

Do you have a magazine safety? The kind that wont fire without a magazine in the gun? In which case, if you inserted an empty magazine into the gun, and pulled the trigger, then ejected the magazine, your slide should come right off Glock style.

This is true, and why I changed out the sear housing, which eliminated the "lock" and the magazine safety. It was also a required change to install the Apex DCAEK. Slight difference for me, you pull the trigger AS you're removing the slide...

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...uct-description-link

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Springfield Armory, XDS

Posts: 498 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBird679:
Diamondback DB380, Taurus PT111 G2, Walther PPQ M2, Canik TP9... all require trigger pull

Regarding Canik TP9s, there are a couple models that have a decocker button that allow you to field strip w/o pulling the trigger.

CZ P10C also requires pulling the trigger.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I am curious to which version of the M&P that he has as well. I've never seen one that won't allow you to pull the trigger to remove the slide. All of mine do it, and it is standard practice on tear down.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37083 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
It's required with all KAHR pistols.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Well, I finally figured out the secret handshake and was able to release the slide on my M&P (purchased about 5 1/2 years ago) by pulling the trigger rather than using the release lever after going through the proper preliminary steps.

Strictly speaking, though, my M&P does not meet the conditions of my original question, which was what guns require pulling the trigger to release the slide for field stripping. I don’t know why one would not use the lever as the factory manual indicates, but it’s good, I suppose, to know that there’s another method.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Accommodating those who have developed the habit from using Glocks, maybe? FWIW, I was surprised to see how many pistols still require it.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I am curious to which version of the M&P that he has as well. I've never seen one that won't allow you to pull the trigger to remove the slide. All of mine do it, and it is standard practice on tear down.

While pulling the trigger may work, that’s not how the M&P is designed. The official way, as described in the manual, is to use a tool to push down the sear release lever, which looks like a dogleg spring arm at the upper rear of the magwell. That prevents the striker from cocking when the slide is slid forward off the frame.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I cannot remove the slide of my BG dated VP9 without pulling the trigger, even after pushing down on the rear of the slide. However, the BI dated VP9sk that I picked up today can be broken down without a trigger pull.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:

While pulling the trigger may work, that’s not how the M&P is designed. The official way, as described in the manual, is to use a tool to push down the sear release lever, which looks like a dogleg spring arm at the upper rear of the magwell. That prevents the striker from cocking when the slide is slid forward off the frame.

I know of no one who disassembles the pistol "the official way, as described by the manual".

And no one really seems to care......

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37083 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pull the trigger on every handgun before disassembly. Is that bad?

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Only if you haven't made sure that the magwell and chamber are empty first.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
Not to be contrary, but I never use the lever. I always just pull the trigger on my M&P's to disassemble.

Perhaps I have a different version, but pulling the trigger does not work with mine. The lever must be moved down.

Yours has a magazine safety. M&Ps without a magazine safety can be disassembled by locking open, rotating the lever, dropping the slide to the right spot and pulling the trigger.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2446 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:

I know of no one who disassembles the pistol "the official way, as described by the manual".

And no one really seems to care......

Your choice, but that doesn’t mean it’s “standard practice”.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yours has a magazine safety. M&Ps without a magazine safety can be disassembled by locking open, rotating the lever, dropping the slide to the right spot and pulling the trigger.[/QUOTE]

Mine doesn’t have a magazine safety and as I mentioned above I did finally get it to work that way after dinking with the gun. It’s not as straightforward as with a Glock, though, and other than to say I can manage it, I cannot imagine why it would be something I’d do when it’s not necessary.

This is yet another amusing example of how we can be lectured about the “four” firearms safety rules, including “Don’t touch the trigger until you’re ready to shoot something,” and yet then be told, “Well, of course it’s necessary to pull the trigger of your gun when disassembling it; what else would we do? That’s perfectly normal and acceptable.”

In any event I don’t care how strangers handle their guns if I’m not around them or what a gun’s design requires for disassembly. I asked the question because of a statement in the SIG P320 armorer manual and it piqued my curiosity because we usually only hear about how the Glock requires pulling the trigger. So thanks for all the replies.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:
Yours has a magazine safety. M&Ps without a magazine safety can be disassembled by locking open, rotating the lever, dropping the slide to the right spot and pulling the trigger.

Mine doesn’t have a magazine safety and as I mentioned above I did finally get it to work that way after dinking with the gun. It’s not as straightforward as with a Glock, though, and other than to say I can manage it, I cannot imagine why it would be something I’d do when it’s not necessary.

This is yet another amusing example of how we can be lectured about the “four” firearms safety rules, including “Don’t touch the trigger until you’re ready to shoot something,” and yet then be told, “Well, of course it’s necessary to pull the trigger of your gun when disassembling it; what else would we do? That’s perfectly normal and acceptable.”

In any event I don’t care how strangers handle their guns if I’m not around them or what a gun’s design requires for disassembly. I asked the question because of a statement in the SIG P320 armorer manual and it piqued my curiosity because we usually only hear about how the Glock requires pulling the trigger. So thanks for all the replies.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by car541:

I'm guessing you don't dry fire in your training regime by your statements.

www.opspectraining.com

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Confused

Dry-firing requires pulling the trigger.
Disassembly of some guns requires pulling the trigger.
Disassembly of other guns does not require pulling the trigger.
Function testing most guns requires pulling the trigger.
I adapt my actions to the situation and my equipment.

I also make a determined effort to understand what I read, and not assume things that are not stated.

In addition, in all my thinking I make an even a greater effort to avoid logical fallacies such as feeble straw men whose only purpose is to distort others’ comments into less formidable arguments that are easier to demolish than the originals.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
Common sense goes a long way in being a gun owner. I guess I don't need gun companies assuming I'm an idiot, posting warnings on the slides, ads telling me their gun is better because you don't have to pull the trigger to remove the slide. What ever happened to common sense?? Would you buy a car with a sign painted on the door, "Don't drink before driving"? "Read owners manual"? Gun companies suck!!!

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post