SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help for gun to teach new shooter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help for gun to teach new shooter Login/Join 
posted
I know this has been asked before but there is a little twist. After being together for 5 years the wife finally wants to learn to shoot.
Happy, I ran out and bought a Ruger SR22 thinking that would be a perfect little teaching gun. Good idea? Nope. Although she is in good shape and actually pretty strong, she has teeny tiny little thin weak fingers. She can't manage the double action pull. I am now thinking Glock with with .22lr conversion kit.
Any other ideas welcome. Thanks

Posts: 102 | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually train new shooters with a Ruger Mark III, although the Mark IV seems a big improvement. They can be had with lightweight barrels, optics, whatever you want. The trigger weight is great, and they're a really fun gun.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend one of the classic .22's with a single action trigger. The Browning buckmark is my favorite, but the rugers are very good too. Both have a very very light trigger. Have her pick up either and see which one fits her hand. The ruger 22/45 has a thin grip.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Start her off with a revolver 22 or.38spl. For auto's the new M&P EZ 380. That is what the wife is using now.

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AVG:
Start her off with a revolver 22 or.38spl. For auto's the new M&P EZ 380. That is what the wife is using now.

This... Recently got one for my wife and it's a fantastic pistol for new shooters. The springs make racking the slide super easy and loading mags is also easy, there is a tab on the side to pull down and just slip the round in, no fighting the spring on a mag. Recoil is very minimal.

An elderly neighbor of mine with bad arthritis wants to check it out too.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good excuse to try a nice old 38 spl revolver Smile. Good luck and have fun.

Posts: 3509 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Lightweight 22LR semi of your choice.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
.22 LR revolver?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot my SR22 a lot. Have you checked the trigger pull on the double action? Compared to all my other double action only pistols it is pretty light. I wonder if there are other factors in play. Can she handle recoil at all?

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rappa
posted Hide Post
Ruger Mark .22lr, any flavor.
Then revolver, Ruger, Smith, etc. SA on a revolver is about as easy it gets as far as trigger pull. Unless she'd have trouble pulling the hammer back, then nevermind.

Posts: 268 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: December 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If a P238 HD wouldn't do her well, then a Glock 42 or a 43 with the .22 kit should. You'll have the excuse of needing an extra to match hers.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always advocated the old classic single action target and trail guns like the Ruger mark series, old Colt woodsman and so on. One I own ( easily found pretty cheap and a great trainer)is a smith and Wesson 422. The modern combat trainer types tend to have at best so so triggers and no where near the accuracy of the old classics

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Once they have learned the basics, a P250 is a great gun to learn trigger control with.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6038 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always start folks with a 22 LR revolver with a good trigger pull. The only one in my stash that truly fits that bill is an old 3" Colt Cobra. Short of that, a 22 LR that can be shot SA if DA is intimidating.
Then on to a 22 LR semiautomatic. I tend to employ there a Beretta 70 S or Browning Buckmark.
Then onto something in 9mm (or possibly 38, depending on preferences and likely future choice). That 9mm is usually a Kahr K9, but could be another variety like Sig 226 or HiPower, depending upon hand size. Eventually, offer a Glock, depending on how things have gone.

I have been thinking of substituting a Ruger 22LR for step 2. Any thoughts about the wisdom of an SR22 vs MKIV 22/45 Lite for this role? (Or thoughts on the two in general for other purposes too? Smile I am indeed jonesing for a Ruger 22...)

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I start folks off with either my Ruger single six or Browning Buckmark semi auto pistol. Both have very nice triggers and both are pretty accurate.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Instead of starting with the SR22, I am going to start her with the Ruger 22/45 since I already have one. Based on her handling a number of different guns that I have, I will try to move her up to either a glock 43 or a p320 compact with a small grip frame. Based on her finger strength (lack thereof) it looks like Revolvers or Da/Sa Autos are a no go.

Posts: 102 | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Buckmark or Ruger 10/22. Learn the basics and then move on.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe you need to put a few hundred rounds through the SR22. Break it in.

That's what I used to teach my granddaughters to shoot, and they started out really tiny.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for M&P 380 EZ: She will be able to use all of the controls including racking and loading mag. Has a good sight distance and good trigger, which will lead to success and delight with HER pistol.

At an NRA course, saw new shooter with EZ go from acceptable performance right off the bat to very good performance after a couple of boxes of ammo.

For the strength-limited shooter, the EZ is exactly right. That is a lot of present and potential shooters - all of whom we need.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ALWAYS train a new young or female shooter on a Ruger Single six. They cannot shoot but one time before recocking.

I have seen someone shoot for the first time with an auto and pull the trigger and freak out and just keep pulling the trigger while no longer aiming at the target.

With the Single six, no kick accurate, easy trigger pull. Builds confidence and good shooting technique.
My wife graduated to a Colt Mustang and then to a Sig P-238 when the Mustang broke.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post