SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    320 full size vs 320 c
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

320 full size vs 320 c Login/Join 
posted
Am considering a purchase of a 320, probably a RX and am curious if there is any advantage of a full size over a compact? I do not carry and use pistols for target shooting and just overall shooting enjoyment. Seems as though the full size is a heavier pistol. Overall any advantage for a full size?
Thanks in advance

Posts: 83 | Location: Montgomery county, PA | Registered: May 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
The full size has an easy mod to use 1911 springs. A few vendors (Gray Guns and Springer Precision I know for sure) make a conversion guide rod and you can tune the weight of the spring to find what works best for the loads you shoot to keep the pistol from nose-diving on close, or recoiling too much to lose the target in the red dot window.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks "Rustpot" for the update on the availability of the mod for the full size. Any other advantage such as accuracy etc., etc?

Posts: 83 | Location: Montgomery county, PA | Registered: May 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Heavier guns will produce less felt recoil, but that’s somewhat offset by possibly greater muzzle flip from a longer barrel.
Longer barrels and their longer sight radiuses may permit greater practical accuracy because they reduce the effects of sight alignment errors. That, however, is not a factor if using an optical sight.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P320 Compact or Carry?

I have a P320 Compact 9mm and a FS .40 conversion. Shoot well with both.

The only advantage on the range for the FS (for my hand anyway), is the FS grip is less prone to bad inputs. If I pay attention 100%, the Compact is just fine. But not if I get a little sloppy. The Carry would give you the same FS grip as the FS.

The FS, on the other hand, will provide good consistency under nearly any circumstances.

Also, if you get a 9mm, the FS can be fitted with the Gray Guns guide rod/recoil spring combo. Less muzzle dip. Can also use standard 1911 RS for additional fine tuning, if desired.

https://grayguns.com/product/c...per-black-guide-rod/

Overall, if not used for carry, I'd opt for the FS.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nipper,

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I haven't owned the RX guns but I currently have a 320F and have previously owned the compact and for range only use I'll take the Fullsize all day, everyday.

I shot the fullsize better and there was less felt recoil.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own both of those guns, both 9mm RX's. I bought the full size first, and shot it very well. So figured the compact was a no brainer for my EDC. And it has been my EDC for about a year now.

I shoot the compact well also, but as Nipper says, you have to be more "on your game" to shoot it as good as the longer, heavier FS. It's just easier to shoot better groups with the FS, at least in my experience. For a non-carry gun, I'd for sure recommend the FS.

Posts: 56 | Registered: November 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I can not tell much difference in the two. The "longer sight radius" is mainly a fallacy as it comes to practical marksmanship. The recoil impulse with 147 grain ammo is negligible.

I'd say pick one you like, buy a good holster, magazines, ammo, and shoot.
"

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of incogneato
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HODY905:
Am considering a purchase of a 320, probably a RX and am curious if there is any advantage of a full size over a compact? I do not carry and use pistols for target shooting and just overall shooting enjoyment. Seems as though the full size is a heavier pistol. Overall any advantage for a full size?
Thanks in advance

I prefer the balance of shorter slides, and find the front sights more quickly, as well. With the compact, you have the option of adding the Carry grip which 17 round mags will fit flush in, and as others have noted, will aid in controllability. OTOH, if you play with different loads, the full-size will allow you to tailor springs to your loads.

Or, do what I do and get both!

Posts: 124 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I owned both a Full Size and a Compact.

I sold the Full Size, and just use a Carry grip module for the Compact when I want the extra capacity.

I see no point in going with the Full Size. The Compact/Carry does everything the Full Size does, and more.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Compact/Carry does everything the Full Size does, and more.

+1 -- The Carry is the best of both worlds, IMO: Compact slide and Full capacity.

Posts: 841 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
From your initial description... I'd vote for the p320 carry.... shorter slide but standard grip... that will give you the standard magazines.

But I really don't like the way the extended magazines look on the full size grips.

The nice thing about the factory installed red dot on these is you can still condition yourself to use the iron sights to initially acquired the target and then use the dot to refine the sight picture.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post