SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sending a handgun to a gunsmith by FedEx
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sending a handgun to a gunsmith by FedEx Login/Join 
posted
Do the counter people at FedEx ask "What's in the box?" like they do at UPS? Here's why I pose this question: Next week I'm sending a pistol to a gunsmith for some work. He instructed me in an email to use FedEx and not indicate what the contents of the package are. So, assuming that's all right to do, can I still request the package to be insured for $600 and expect the counter attendant to be good with that request?

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FedEx has never given me any problems shipping pistols off for repair. I do tell the clerk what I'm shipping but I don't recall anyone labeling my box or making a fuss about the contents. Insurance and tracking numbers give me a feeling of security, but that's just me.

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
Do the counter people at FedEx ask "What's in the box?" like they do at UPS? Here's why I pose this question: Next week I'm sending a pistol to a gunsmith for some work. He instructed me in an email to use FedEx and not indicate what the contents of the package are. So, assuming that's all right to do, can I still request the package to be insured for $600 and expect the counter attendant to be good with that request?

Please bring a copy from that day from the FedEx website on firearms shipment regulations which I have listed for you below. The last time I went there there I had to declare the firearm and there was not any problem. Previous time the manager came out and said it was illegal and I had to leave immediately. Unfortunately I did not have a copy of the regulations with me.

ATF website states fed law you must declare that you are shipping firearms to the shipper.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/q...-or-contract-carrier

FedEx gets a lot of valuable cargo and thus the store employees that I dealt with except for that one manager do not seem to be fazed by having a gun in a box.

http://www.fedex.com/us/freigh...ibited_articles.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Make sure you take it to a hub not a "store" or a drop off box. Take a copy of the FEDEX policy with you should there be any questions about whether they accept firearms. Don't be afraid to contact their corporate office should they deny acceptance. Insure the contents for more than the usual $100 value. Keep all copies of the paperwork. Photograph the contents and how the contents were packaged.

Declare the contents for what it is. Failure to do so could mean no insurance should the package be lost or stolen.

With that said, be prepared for something to happen...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...500093124#2500093124

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I've had to send a few handguns via FedEx......no issues.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Fedex has rules about shipping guns.

http://www.fedex.com/us/freigh...ibited_articles.html

"Upon presenting the goods for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to Carrier is required to notify Carrier that the shipment contains a firearm. The outside of the package(s) must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package(s) contains a firearm."

If you're going to ship a firearm without notifying FedEx it's a firearm, you might as well skip the insurance because you've violated their terms and they won't honor the insurance.

Also, it apparently against federal law to ship a firearm without notifying the carrier.

27 CFR 478.31:

" No person shall knowingly deliver
or cause to be delivered to any common
or contract carrier for transportation
or shipment in interstate or foreign
commerce to any person other than a
licensed importer, licensed manufacturer,
licensed dealer, or licensed collector,
any package or other container
in which there is any firearm or ammunition
without written notice to the carrier
that such firearm or ammunition is
being transported or shipped"

(I skipped the end that basically says you can bring it with you if you're traveling by the carrier, e.g., you can have a gun in your luggage on a plane.)

The wording is confusing, but the ATF seems to interpret the law as meaning that the firearm can only be shipped to a licensee AND the carrier must be notified. (Reading it in plain English would seem to indicate you only have to notify the carrier if you're shipping it to a non-licensee, but of course, shipping interstate to a non-licensee is already a serious crime, so...)

From the Q&A section of the ATF "Federal Firearms Regulation Reference Guide" found at https://www.atf.gov/file/11241/download :

"A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by
a common or contract carrier to a resident
of his or her or her own State or to a
licensee in any State. A common or contract
carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
In addition, Federal law requires that
the carrier be notified that the shipment
contains a firearm or ammunition, prohibits
common or contract carriers from requiring
or causing any label to be placed
on any package indicating that it contains
a firearm and requires obtaining written
acknowledgement of receipt."

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shipped guns back to Sig with their shipping label from a Fed Ex Store. I told the clerk each time what it was and that it was going back to the manufacturer,no one seemed to care. Sig self insures so there was no insurance. I would assume that to insure for that amount you would be asked what you were sending.

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would assume that to insure for that amount you would be asked what you were sending.

Uh, no, they ship all manner of expensive parts, daily. As stated, if you don't tell them it's a firearm, they won't honor insurance anyway.

I'm curious why a gunsmith would tell someone not to tell the shipper what it is, it's probably against the freaking law (see above 27 CFR 478.31). The only reason I can think of is so the shipper doesn't have to pay expedited fees, which both UPS and FedEx both require for shipping handguns.

That's as bad as a "gunsmith" who shall remain unnamed telling people to ship USPS mail and just say "machine parts" are in the box.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
I would assume that to insure for that amount you would be asked what you were sending.

Uh, no, they ship all manner of expensive parts, daily. As stated, if you don't tell them it's a firearm, they won't honor insurance anyway.

I'm curious why a gunsmith would tell someone not to tell the shipper what it is, it's probably against the freaking law (see above 27 CFR 478.31). The only reason I can think of is so the shipper doesn't have to pay expedited fees, which both UPS and FedEx both require for shipping handguns.

That's as bad as a "gunsmith" who shall remain unnamed telling people to ship USPS mail and just say "machine parts" are in the box.

I also had one tell me not to tell the shipper and that there was no law requiring to do so. Be careful of the advice of other.

"Trust but Verify."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Fedex is excellent for this but UPS is decidedly not. I had to send a Boberg XR9 back to the factory because it was a Jam-o-matic and used a label they created and emailed me. UPS refused to accept it saying it had to be overnight, not two day service. They even claimed they needed to open the box and inspect it first (which is against UPS policy and YES, I was at a hub).

Let's just say....I only use Fedex if I have a choice and on ocassion, I've had my FFL send for me so it can go USPS flat rate (he doesn't charge me for outbound transfers and only $10 for inbound so its usually more cost effective to send several guns in one flat rate box when sending out for new anodizing or custom work or nickel plating). ATF must wonder why they have multiple 4473's for on person and one gun if they ever had reason to check.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Recipe for disaster.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all of you. Now that the rules are clear, I can proceed and will approach FedEx with their regulations in hand just to be safe. I will definitely inform them about the box contents. As someone said, you can't insure something without saying what it is (or approximately). The place where the gun is going is pretty well known and the owner sent me a FedEx label to save a few bucks. There must have been a reason why he suggested not to mention the contents. But if the shipper's rules are to do so, then that's what I'm going to do. I'll post how the drop off goes.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Machined parts...

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
I have had no issues with Fed Ex. Have to go to a hub not a local store. I tell them what's inside and buy insurance. Never even a second glance.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Previously I have shipped via FedEx and UPS but went to the hub. Once I was allowed to ship ground as it went to a refinisher. But this was a local decision and I think because it was going to refinisher rather than a "gun store".

On a thread drift, I had FedEx deliver a package to me late evening last night as I knew I wouldn't be home until then and didn't know if I needed to sign. Guy comes up last night, tosses the package near the door. I heard the thump and called out to him thanks but got a grunt. Obviously not too happy. Just a barrel that was packed well so no damage.

But....make sure its packed well.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post