SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Instead of a bear post -- alligator attacks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Instead of a bear post -- alligator attacks Login/Join 
posted
As much as I enjoy the frequent bear posts that pop up here and elsewhere, being a kayaker in the southeast makes me worry more about alligators than bears.
I've never run into an alligator, only pretty small sharks, which never caused much worry.
Maybe this belongs more on the shotgun page or the bazooka page, but does anyone have any tips for self defense from alligators while kayaking or canoeing? A shotgun seems unwieldy in a kayak. Is any firearm worthwhile, or is a Bible preferred?
Below hopefully is a link for your entertainment of an alligator meeting in NC. Listen to the guy breathing hard...
Thanks for any thoughts or experience.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/15/...tack-while-kayaking/

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
My quintessential gator handgun is the 357 mag with 180 grain hardcast loads.

Short story, I was canoeing with the wife, MS, decades ago. We round a bend & there’s a gator in the water. She asked & kinda wanted me to plug it, had a handgun with. I said it was no bother to us, somewhat protected, & no reason to shoot it, passed.

Just like bear talk, just cuz you see one, don’t necessarily need to throw lead at it.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, the family and I boated up the St. Johns river to Lake Monroe, pulled over in the little canal just on the south side, tied off to a tree branch and ate our picnic lunch.

I really had to urinate, so stood in waist deep water and let 'er rip.

Within a minute about 6 small-medium gators surfaced and slowly swam away.

I heard the closest one murmuring something about "trailer park trash." Smile

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Brain on alligators is very small, sometimes described as "walnut sized." To kill one of these pre-historic critters bullet in the brain is the trick.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1530 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During my Florida adventures, I toted a 4 inch S&W 29. Lots of Gators in the Ding Darling NWR.
I think the folks on the Swamp TV shows plink them with .22s.
Gator war story:
On one trip, I crossed a bridge over a large creek and saw some Gators swimming around. I got out of the car and went to the bridge railing to take some photos. After watching the Gators awhile, I turned to get back in the car, only to find about an 8 foot long Gator standing a short distance from me. I yanked out the 29 but the Gator had no interest in me so I did not shoot. This episode scared the crap out of me, primarily due to Mr. Gators ability to silently walk up on me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

I heard the closest one murmuring something about "trailer park trash." Smile

Hah! The only thing worse than an ugly terrifying prehistoric creature is a condescending ugly terrifying prehistoric creature.

Sounds like a great paddle though.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
This episode scared the crap out of me, primarily due to Mr. Gators ability to silently walk up on me.

He was probably taking pictures of you. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
When I kayak in NC, I carry my snake stick (a triple shafted steel golf club shaft with a stainless steel hook on it). It's useful for all sorts of things. Pulling me in close to things, hooking snakes, and possibly bopping an alligator on the head if it gets too close - which has never happened to me. I can scarcely get close to them when I'm out looking for them. I've carried a handgun in a kayak, but usually don't. I can't imagine when you'd be able to use one effectively if you do come under unwelcome scrutiny from a gator. Rocking in a kayak, shooting at a sliver of a head coming at you. Nah. I'd rather just have my stick or paddle. I imagine that by the time you notice a gator closing in on you, it's too close to do anything about with a gun.

If I were to pick the perfect gator gun for self defense, it's be a relatively cheap .22 LR revolver that if it fell in the water and I couldn't retrieve it, I wouldn't be out much.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good use for a pistol lanyard.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh... For further reference:
www.howtokillthings.com
They have an Alligator page.
When in doubt, google it! Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

For your research on this question, may I suggest...

Swamp People Big Grin

They are using a diverse variety of calibers, but the smallest seems to be .22

Because you are in a small boat, I would consider using a .410 caliber Taurus Judge that can also fire a .45 Colt.

Please keep in mind that I have no experience in alligator hunting.

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your paddle is going to be your best deterrent. But a bang stick with a 12 gauge shell with 00 buck would be a good choice if in a kayak. A shotgun would be too hard to wield while sitting in a kayak IMO. Alligator hunters generally kill them with a .22 or in the head, but obviously your shot has to be pretty precise.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I’m no expert, but I’ve known a couple.

Takes a mite bit of effort to get eaten by a gator.

Closest I’ve ever came to thinking I was about to be eaten was about 20’ underwater from 2 8-9 footers in a spring in central Florida. They swam on.

Used to swim in black tannic acid central Florida rivers all the time as a kid. Saw lots of gators. Went out several times with one of my mom’s friends who had a nuisance license. She’d go hunt with him.

How often to people actually get attacked? I know I read about it every once in a while, but unless they are picking up golf balls from lakes in Florida or wrestling Fido from one, it’s pretty rare, no?

I’d aim for the eyes with a sharp stick.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chongosuerte,

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I’m good friends with a state of Florida alligator trapper and he has killed thousands with nothing more than a .22LR to the head. Most get relocated but the ones that can’t get killed and sold to a meat and hide processor.

I spent many summers swimming the St. John’s river with alligators 10-20 feet away and they left us kids alone. Gators are not instant death, contrary to popular opinion ... one of the dads usually posted up a watch and made sure no big gators got too close to the kids but we never had any scares that I remember.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
How would a 45 ACP fare with a gator?

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the most practical solution is to care a bang stick. From 22WMR to 12G, they do not have the same recoil issues. Of course you’ve only got one shot, but the round doesn’t fire if you don’t make contact. Actually designed for gator harvesting in 357. I take two when in gator country.

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If one gets hold of you IN, or darn close to, the water...your gun won't help. They begin to whirl you around like the Tazmanian Devil when he gets frustrated with Bugs. They try to drown you, and and at the very best, you'd be so disoriented you'd have little chance. Better you'd have a knife to be able to slash or poke at the snout, or preferably, the underside of the jaw to encourage it to release you.

Posts: 379 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Killing a gator is all shot placement. A .22 is fine and the bang stick is a good idea to help with shot placement. You can also give them a hard wack on top of the head with a wooden paddle and knock them out...hit them basically between the eyes, but a few inches back...goodnight gator.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Couldn't pay me enough to get anywhere near a swamp like that, I did'nt even like driving on the highway going to cape Canaveral.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Malamutes
posted Hide Post
Depth charges.

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Lower Michigan | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post