SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help me diagnose an issue with my P226
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me diagnose an issue with my P226 Login/Join 
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted
I’m having an issue when clearing a live round from the chamber. The cartridge is extracted without difficulty but it is not propelled out of the ejection port. It simply falls out of the mag well. This is a recent issue.

I use this gun fairly often and it runs fine. Since I’ve only been using the gun at matches, I haven’t been able to observe the ejection pattern and I keep forgetting to ask a friend to watch it as I shoot. However, the guys at the events are fairly observant and no one has mentioned anything.

It doesn’t matter how much force/speed I use to bring the slide back. The round falls out of the mag well.

I couldn’t fill a thimble with my gunsmith knowledge but here’s what I’ve observed. The ejector looks fine to me. My first thought was that it had broken but it doesn’t appear damaged. I'm thinking that maybe the extractor has extended slightly, if that makes any sense. With the slide removed, I slipped a round under the extractor and it does not sit flush with the breech face.

What do you think is causing the issue?

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Ejector broken

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the extractor spring is broken or missing. The ejector has nothing to do with your problem from what you describe.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
You spoke of shooting at matches. So my guess is you shoot a large amount of ammo in your gun.

Make sure the extractor is cleaned of any fouling build up. The claw has a small amount of contact with the cases for extraction so any build up may be enough to cause failures.

If you can remove the extractor and give it a good scrub. Also when the extractor is out clean the area around it.

Also make sure the chamber is clean of any carbon build up. This will cause the extractor a harder time doing its job.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
The ejector looks fine to me.

The extractor has tension on it and I haven't had any failures while firing.

I do fire a lot of rounds through the gun but I clean it after every match. I recently had the breech block out to replace a roll pin and I cleaned the unit while out (the problem was happening before the removal and repair).

Thanks and keep'em coming please.

Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 808:
Also make sure the chamber is clean of any carbon build up. This will cause the extractor a harder time doing its job.

It appears clean but I'll give the chamber a good scrubbing anyway.

Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
How old could your recoil spring be? About 5 years or 5000 rounds?

When holding the pistol safely point up .(unloaded) Lightly pull on the slide back about 1/2 to inch pulling it out of battery. Then let go of the slide and see if the recoil spring is able to pull itself back closed? Or does it stop a small amount before closing completely back into battery.

Maybe a recoil spring slowing the overall timing/function of the firearm.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wandering, but
not lost...I think
Picture of brywards
posted Hide Post
Given the details you describe, I’ll second the notion that your extractor has been affected.

-Gunk/build-up under the claw
-Gunk/build-up under the “arm” inside the breech block
-Chipped claw
-Stretching of the claw, perhaps opening of the claw angle

Posts: 2715 | Location: West Texas | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 808:
How old could your recoil spring be? About 5 years or 5000 rounds?

The recoil spring has recently been replaced.

quote:
Originally posted by brywards:
Given the details you describe, I’ll second the notion that your extractor has been affected.

-Gunk/build-up under the claw
-Gunk/build-up under the “arm” inside the breech block
-Chipped claw
-Stretching of the claw, perhaps opening of the claw angle

I’m thinking this is an extractor issue as well. I’ll see if I can track down a replacement.

posted Hide Post
If you’re talking about only happening when clearing live rounds, don’t worry about it. Things are completely different under live fire and a magazine inserted.

ETA: just noticed you said breech block. If you planned ahead, try replacing the extractor. If not, you might want to consider not competing with it anymore. It’s really hard finding parts for the folded slides these days. You can try to rebend a little, but I don’t recommend it.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please keep us updated. I would think chipped or worn extractor at first.

And there is the old rule when it comes to function issues: Dirt...Ammo...Parts. Smile

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
With the slide removed, I slipped a round under the extractor and it does not sit flush with the breech face.
That does not sound right. Will the extractor hold a loaded round with the slide removed? Do you have any 1911 tools to check extractor tension in OZ?

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post