SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 Hogue Rubber vs. G10 Compared For You
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 Hogue Rubber vs. G10 Compared For You Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
Before

After

I like G10 better.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Never like rubber for grips.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice. Gonna do the same thing on my P220 later this week (albeit Black Checkered G10).

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very Nice.

I prefer G10 over rubber on my SIG Semi Autos because the rubber is too thick for my hands.

On revolvers I really like the rubber grips.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it as well. I have the same grips on my P220 Stainless Elite.

Who did the melt job for you?

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
I've got some big old meat hooks, so the wraparound Hogue's fit real nice on my duty P220ST. That being said, the G10 grips look about a million times better, and I have them on my other Sig's and 1911's.

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm being a snot here, but has anyone ever had the grip screws back out on them when using Hogue's rubber grips?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I'm being a snot here, but has anyone ever had the grip screws back out on them when using Hogue's rubber grips?

I have had grip screws back out on factory grips way more often than with hogues on my 220 or 226.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Fair enough, but I don't recall it ever having happened with the rubber grips on the 220ST. Then again, I'm willing to believe that the heavier frame may have something to do with that somehow.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Mr. Green Dragoon -- this is a factory melt job called P220 SAS (special anti snag). If you are special enough, you can carry a SAS pistol. You won't shoot as good as the SAS, but...

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently replaced the original Hougue grips on my 220ST with black checkered G-10 grips (20179), noticeably thinner, gives the gun a whole new feel. Greg Cote is a good to go supplier.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raptor23
posted Hide Post
Yep - made that same change myself. I started out with Hogue rubber on my pistols, but found that I much prefer their G10 checked grips instead and have been in the process of changing everything out ever since.

Before:

After:

Posts: 33 | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Looks like you had the upper and controls refinished, also. Nice. CCR did the trick?

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raptor23
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
^^^ Looks like you had the upper and controls refinished, also. Nice. CCR did the trick?

Not on this one. I did a polish on the original "natural stainless" slide to bring the finish up. The controls and hammer I replaced with nickel parts and then polished them as well. The trigger is a Grayguns P-SAIT that they did have CCR do the electroless nickel on.

This P228 had the slide and controls done at CCR, via the Grayguns "12 days of Christmas" 30% off promo. She started life as a standard all-black edition circa 1994, and was upgraded with Meprolight night sights, Hogue G10 grips, modern take-down lever, SRT kit and Grayguns P-SAIT as well.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yeah, that P228 looks fantastic.

Q

posted Hide Post
I had a Sig 239 - 9 and tried the Hogues years ago and replaced them with the original pastic grips as it subjectively seemed the rubber grips were harder to conceal but it was long ago, and I do recall the rubber seemed to reduce felt recoil.

Fast forward to now: a member helped w a 239/9 SAS with G10 grips which is my first experience and they seem to give the best of all, grip without the bulk of the Hogues. The same member provided me w a p220 which he put G1s on too.

The only downside is G10s are pricey.

A couple of years ago, I was shooting a custom 1911 w aggressive grips that hurt without wearing a glove. I cannot remember but think they are Viz... or a name like that.

The G10 is a good balance and I do not feel it requires a glove as that 1911 did.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raptor23
posted Hide Post
quote:

Many thanks. I'm pretty fond of the way it turned out. My first Sig was a two-tone P229 in .357sig that I purchased back in '96, and it has always been a favorite. I really love the two-tone look, but prefer the electroless nickel to the natural stainless of the newer versions (hence the attempt to replicate it in the 220 above).

I didn't have a P228, and was pretty thrilled to find a new, unfired (except for the factory test, of course) '94 that I snapped up. I had been really wanting a two-tone, or especially a full nickel unicorn, but have been unable to find or unwilling to part with enough gold and body parts to achive that end.

When I contacted Grayguns to inquire about the possibility of gettting a P-SAIT trigger in nickel for my P229, they were able to comply. In further conversation, it came up that CCR did the plating for them, and that they could send other parts out for me to have plated. When that 30% sale came up, I couldn't pass it up.

Here's that original P229 as well (although it now wears an updated takedown lever that I sent in with the other parts for plating):

Picture of Raptor23
posted Hide Post
quote:

BTW - I'm trying to respect that 10th commandment, especially since we're just coming off Easter and all, but I'm weak, and I'm horribly coveting your collection.

Just saying... Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raptor23,

Manufactures Rep.
Picture of Ken @ Hogue Inc
posted Hide Post
Hogue G10 all the way BUT you can't beat some nice wood FO SHO though they are a little fuller in the feel.

Need technical help with Hogue products and your firearm?

Try the Hogue Knowledge Base for answers!

Hogue Gear
Holsters and more...
www.hogueinc.com
www.hogueknives.com www.heatedtoiletseat.com www.zombiegrips.com
Ken@hogueinc.com

View or Download your Catalog today;

2023 Catalog

2023 Knife Catalog

Hogue AR-15/ Catalog

Request a Catalog

Posts: 1597 | Location: Home Office, Paso Robles, CA -Headquarters, Henderson, NV. -W/Warehouses in San Diego, CA and Vienna, Austria | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raptor23
posted Hide Post
I love the aesthetic of the wood grips, and went that route when I first started out. I just couldn't get past that extra bulk and how slippery they got when I shot.

I even went through an aluminum phase after I picked up a P226 Elite Dark. Ended up replacing all of my grips with Hogue aluminum until my wife accidentally bought a set of G10 for me as a gift (she had meant to get the aluminum). Of course, I had to now go back through and replace everything with G10. Needless to say, it's been a bit of an expensive journey.